What is the future of the Republican Party?

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

You are of the opinion that Democrats did not think Bush was legitimately elected and that they said the SCOTUS was unfair and Mr. “$200 million I’m in it for climate change..errrr money” Gore should have been President. Yes you must be reading fantasy books then.  

A recount happened, Gore asked for a hand recount in accordance with the rules, he lost, conceded and they moved on. 

If you want to argue that the amount of people who saw Bush as an illegitimate president is notable in any way, then you have to say the same thing about Clinton. Bob Dole and many Republican leaders insinuated that he was only president because Perot siphoned off Bush's voters, and that because he had only 43% of the popular vote, he had no mandate to enact his legislative agenda. Then....oh, damn, that means Republicans were still first towards the dividing narrative of illegitimacy. 

But forget that. I'll even go that far with you for the sake of the argument and cede that the last 5 presidencies have been seen as illegitimate by X amount of people/officials. At that point it becomes an exercise in determining to what degree, and based on what evidence? That's also not a conversation that the Republicans come out looking equal to or better than the Democrats in.

• Plus1 2

52 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I corrected myself in a followup. I mistakenly said Trump and meant Biden.

@DevoHusker I agree on a popular vote for Presidential elections, but would also like to see Ranked Choice Voting to determine House Seats 

I was intrigued when NYC used ranked choice. It seems to send more viable choices for the final tabulation, and breaks through the partisan structure where smaller faction minorities can still have a voice in "red" or "blue" areas that normally would not really matter.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I have been sitting at a funeral visitation since about 3. I want to say sorry to those of you who assumed that my previous post meant that I believe Dems started the hyper-partisanship 5 years ago. They did not start it any more than Reps did. There was not nearly the issue in the 8 years under Obama than what it became in 4 years under Trump. My point was that the constant onslaught about Trump, and his "deplorable" voters fanned the flames to a conflagration. It has now gotten to the point the Trump followers will never back down or backtrack, because Trump pushed and pushed and they reciprocated.  

Hearing everyday that you are stupid or criminal does not lend itself to concessions very often.

This was my biggest gripe about Trump and why I could never support him and even grew to despise him.

This nation has many “deplorables” that vote both ways.  But  Trump actually latched on to the ones that voted GOP and riled them up.  We all are aware of the “fine people on both sides” and “lock her up” comments.  He pandered to the worst.  And unfortunately many good and descent GOP voters grouped themselves into the “deplorable” category because they simply identified as Trump voters.

To give Trump credit, he played one hell of a campaign.  It brought to the surface how gross American politics is.  We can’t pretend we have people running for office without ulterior motives.  Now we have to figure out what those motives are, and also their political views…

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, knapplc said:

That an adult can have lived through the last five years of trump and believe what we went through was because of the DEMOCRATS is insane. 

Never said that. I said the current hyper-partisanship is as much D as it is R.

This very thread is Exhibit A.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

This was my biggest gripe about Trump and why I could never support him and even grew to despise him.

This nation has many “deplorables” that vote both ways.  But  Trump actually latched on to the ones that voted GOP and riled them up.  We all are aware of the “fine people on both sides” and “lock her up” comments.  He pandered to the worst.  And unfortunately many good and descent GOP voters grouped themselves into the “deplorable” category because they simply identified as Trump voters.

To give Trump credit, he played one hell of a campaign.  It brought to the surface how gross American politics is.  We can’t pretend we have people running for office without ulterior motives.  Now we have to figure out what those motives are, and also their political views…

Agree with this 100%. 

Thanks.

Just now, DevoHusker said:

Never said that. I said the current hyper-partisanship is as much D as it is R.

This very thread is Exhibit A.

Claiming "both sides" apologizes for the worst side - in this case, unequivocally that's trump & trumpism.

At least the facade is gone now and we can stop pretending, though. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

If you want to argue that the amount of people who saw Bush as an illegitimate president is notable in any way, then you have to say the same thing about Clinton. Bob Dole and many Republican leaders insinuated that he was only president because Perot siphoned off Bush's voters, and that because he had only 43% of the popular vote, he had no mandate to enact his legislative agenda. Then....oh, damn, that means Republicans were still first towards the dividing narrative of illegitimacy. 

That has nothing to do with illegitimacy and I would challenge you to find all these people bringing up the illegitimacy “narrative” in 1992.  They did not say Clinton shouldn’t have been the President based on the results of the election.  they were just bent because as you said Perot took enough votes from another candidate.  On the other hand, yes Democrats WERE saying Bush was not duly elected and SCOTUS rigged the results.  Thus some DEMS did not vote to certify the election. And the talking point was Gore should rightfully have been President based on the votes.  

• Plus1 2

38 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Claiming "both sides" apologizes for the worst side - in this case, unequivocally that's trump & trumpism.

At least the facade is gone now and we can stop pretending, though. 

Okay, I get you hate both sides. But the current state of the Nation is because of BOTH the far left and far right. If you can't admit it...

:dunno

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Just now, DevoHusker said:

Okay, I get you hate both sides. But the current state of the Nation is because of BOTH the far left and far right. If you can't admit it...

:dunno

It's like saying the current state of crime in America is caused both by the criminals and the cops. 

One is acting, the other is reacting. It's not 100%/0%, but it's certainly not 50/50.

You keep blaming "both sides" when Republicans are clearly unequivocally attacking the foundation of our democracy, and have promoted and continue to support the worst office-holder in our nation's history.

The problem with republican apologists is they cannot admit their party is at fault. They continue to vote republican despite the evidence of their own eyes. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1