What is the future of the Republican Party?

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

More evidence why I cannot support the GOP.   To think, at one time I thought Newt would be a good presidential candidate.:facepalm:

The whole thing is absolutely disgusting.  These people are methodically and consciously putting out this line of thought.  They used to put themselves out as people who support the constitution and put the country before anything.  Obviously, that was a total fraud.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The whole thing is absolutely disgusting.  These people are methodically and consciously putting out this line of thought.  They used to put themselves out as people who support the constitution and put the country before anything.  Obviously, that was a total fraud.

Well the Cheneys  raised their daughter(s) right.  Their politics may be to far right for most but I don't doubt their love for the country and constitution.   I'd rather have a person of character as a leader, even if I didn't agree with much of their politics, than these charlatans and self aggrandizing GOP politicians of today.  At least a person of character like Liz and Kinzinger will ultimately make decisions based on what they believe best for the country and not out of cultish allegiance to a Hitler (I said it and I meant it) want-a-be, power hungry narcistic man.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And yes the party of Reagan - the party of 'family values', love of country, of law and order, and compassionate conservatism is long gone.  This is not the GOP you and I grew up in.   We need a new party in the worst way.  Since it is now apparent that the GOP leadership is as corrupt as Trump and his cult, there is no hope that I have that the party can reform itself.  Now is the time for people like Mitt, Gov Hogan of Maryland and the many other non-trumpers to start a new party.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Well d!(k & Lynne raised their daughter(s) right.  Their politics may be to far right for most but I don't doubt their love for the country and constitution.   I'd rather have a person of character as a leader, even if I didn't agree with much of their politics, than these charlatans and self aggrandizing GOP politicians of today.  At least a person of character like Liz and Kinzinger will ultimately make decisions based on what they believe best for the country and not out of cultish allegiance to a Hitler (I said it and I meant it) want-a-be, power hungry narcistic man.  

Yep.

Last election I didn't vote for one Republican because I was disgusted with the whole Trump love.  After the election, I decided to become more open again to anyone from both parties based on issues and what I thought of the person.  

This makes me want to go back to my 2020 election feelings.  It turns my stomach to think about voting for a Republican unless they came out publicly against Trump and what he stands for.

I wasn't having a good week anyway and was in a bad mood.  This didn't help.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.

Last election I didn't vote for one Republican because I was disgusted with the whole Trump love.  After the election, I decided to become more open again to anyone from both parties based on issues and what I thought of the person.  

This makes me want to go back to my 2020 election feelings.  It turns my stomach to think about voting for a Republican unless they came out publicly against Trump and what he stands for.

Yes, all of my representatives support Trump and proudly so.  So I can't vote for them as I see that as a major character flaw.  If they can't see this, what else are they deceived about and how will that affect how they vote in congress??

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, all of my representatives support Trump and proudly so.  So I can't vote for them as I see that as a major character flaw.  If they can't see this, what else are they deceived about and how will that affect how they vote in congress??

In Nebraska, we have two Republicans running for governor.  One, has always been a Trump loving worshiper that there is no way I can vote for him.  The other started out looking like a reasonable centered person.  Now, probably because someone did some polling and found him falling behind, he has put out a couple major MAGA ads that just make me sick.  

Now....I'm left trying to figure out who to vote for.  Hopefully, there is a reasonable Democrat that runs and I can vote for them.....which won't mean anything.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In Nebraska, we have two Republicans running for governor.  One, has always been a Trump loving worshiper that there is no way I can vote for him.  The other started out looking like a reasonable centered person.  Now, probably because someone did some polling and found him falling behind, he has put out a couple major MAGA ads that just make me sick.  

Now....I'm left trying to figure out who to vote for.  Hopefully, there is a reasonable Democrat that runs and I can vote for them.....which won't mean anything.

Yes, in Oklahoma I figured I 'threw away' most of my votes in 2020.  But sometimes a vote for a losing candidate can send a message if enough people vote for that person.   Ultimately it isn't about being on the 'winning team'.  It is about being a person of character ourselves and voting accordingly.  We can be on the winning team (think 1933 Germany) or we can be a part of the resistance out of character. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

An old tired party with cracks in the foundation and who's only hope if survival is the suppression of voting rights, insurgency, and rage farming dying on the vine.  

But the most dangerous bear is one that is old and sick.  It's going to be a rough few years.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1