What is the future of the Republican Party?

58 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah, it's pretty difficult to vote for someone for President that can't take a stand on an obvious constitutional issue....because he's scared of upsetting the person who created the constitutional issue and the people who agree with him.

Yep too many spineless GOPers who won't run against Trump or won't say a negative word about trump.  

I suspect Pence and Crispy Cream Chris Christie along wt Gov Hogan (who never supported Trump) are trying to set themselves up in the 'the not Trump' lane. 

Perhaps they hope the day comes when Trump is thrown in jail and they can rightly say 'told you so'.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah, it's pretty difficult to vote for someone for President that can't take a stand on an obvious constitutional issue....because he's scared of upsetting the person who created the constitutional issue and the people who agree with him.

Cowards. 

Give me Tulsi Gabbard for the next 8 years, and I'll be good on the political front.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Wow...did the turtle finally get a spine?

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Cowards. 

Give me Tulsi Gabbard for the next 8 years, and I'll be good on the political front.

At one time, I was a fan of hers.  I would need to study back up on her.  Has she been asked this question and what was her answer?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow...did the turtle finally get a spine?

I'm not so sure he actually grew a spine but it's telling that other exoskeletons like Barrasso, Pence, and Graham have gone wayward of the Big Lie in one way or another over the past week.   It seems that are seeing even more storm clouds on the horizon for Trump and they want to distance themselves from what's to come out of the Jan 6th commission.  

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, Scarlet said:

I'm not so sure he actually grew a spine but it's telling that other exoskeletons like Barrasso, Pence, and Graham have gone wayward of the Big Lie in one way or another over the past week.   It seems that are seeing even more storm clouds on the horizon for Trump and they want to distance themselves from what's to come out of the Jan 6th commission.  

Yeah funny how this week as some of Pence's aides started testifying some of the smarter GOP members have backed off their support.  Word is out to CYA.  Will be anxious to see the change in tone here on HB.  I wonder if we'll have to wait too long to hear "you guys were right"?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

A good review of the difference between the Old Right (Reaganism) and the New Right (the poison we now see under Trump). 

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/02/reagan-zombies-and-more/

What is Reaganism? Well, many books have been written about that, and many more articles. I’ve contributed too many myself (but mainly in the ’90s and ’00s). I think of a phrase: “the theme is freedom.” That was the title given by John Dos Passos to a collection of his in 1956. (I wrote about this collection in 2016 — in a five-part series, whose links are as follows: I, II, III, IV, and V.)

Free markets, free trade, free enterprise. Free people. A strong military, to safeguard that freedom. The rule of law, to do the same. Limited government. Personal responsibility. U.S. leadership in the world. Civil society, or little platoons. Patriotism — the genuine kind, not jingoism or boobery. Pluralism. Colorblindness. Toleration. E pluribus unum. Betsy Ross. All that good stuff.

Also, Reagan was open to immigration, and friendly to immigrants. He did not believe in lawless immigration, of course. But he held immigration to be a boon, both to immigrants themselves and to American society as a whole. He devoted his last speech as president to the subject. And when you’re giving your last speech — you choose your topic and your words extra-carefully.

For the last several years, we have seen a great deal of body-snatching and shape-shifting. Evolution, if you will. People are shedding their old beliefs and values, and donning new ones. Hawks have become neo-isolationist. Internationalists have become America Firsters. Free-marketeers have become neo-protectionist. Limited-government men have become big-government paternalists. People who preached character now accuse others of “moral preening.” And so on and so forth.

The RNC — A Case Study in Political Insanity

But the RNC really gives the game away with their third argument. The say that Cheney and Kinzinger are only nominal Republicans who are giving the Committee a patina of bipartisanship. In other words, even though Cheney and Kinzinger are rock-ribbed conservatives; even though they have voting records far to the right of Republican leaders like Elise Stefanik and even Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, they aren’t really Republicans. Why? Because for the RNC, today, being a Republican no longer means being a conservative. It means being on the Republican team and putting the party and its needs first. And the party does not need an examination of Trump’s criminal conduct — because that would be bad for the party and for its hopes of regaining power

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

The left wing of the Democrat party is giving the Republicans all the gifts they need. What the Republicans need is for Trump to disappear quietly…..One way or another. I am not convinced Trump being prosecuted will hurt them unless it makes his voters not show up for future elections. The best gift the Dems could get is for Trump to run again. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
48 minutes ago, nic said:

The left wing of the Democrat party is giving the Republicans all the gifts they need. What the Republicans need is for Trump to disappear quietly…..One way or another. I am not convinced Trump being prosecuted will hurt them unless it makes his voters not show up for future elections. The best gift the Dems could get is for Trump to run again. 

I think your spot on here.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3