What is the future of the Republican Party?

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Would t guardsmen from neighboring states make more sense from a pure logistics standpoint?  

I would think so.  The Pentagon approved 700 and DC National Guard is sending 400, and I think the main task is to help direct traffic especially if a "convoy" comes through town.  But I would think those other 300 would like to be able to have an easy trip home after carrying an orange flashlight for 12 hours.

But I can also see why folks think Desantis is an a-hole in this.  Why go out of his way to make it sound like he isn't interested in helping?  

Good god, I hope the war in Ukraine will help people put idiots and their retoric like this behind them. What absolute nonsense. https://www.wesh.com/article/desantis-florida-national-guard-bidens-state-of-the-union/39277052

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has rejected a request from President Joe Biden to send Florida National Guard members to the District of Columbia for the president’s State of the Union address.

DeSantis posted on Twitter: "Last week, the Biden Administration requested the assistance of State National Guards to deploy to Washington D.C. I have rejected this request — there will be no @FLGuard sent to D.C. for Biden’s State of the Union."

Advertisement

The reason for this rejection was not immediately clear, but Florida's governor is not a fan of the Biden administration.

During his Conservative Political Action Conference address last week, the governor said President Joe Biden hates him and the state of Florida because they "stand up to him."

DeSantis said the media puts out "a blizzard of lies" meant to relieve the blame on Biden, which he referred to as "the Brandon Administration."

As the governor was speaking, President Joe Biden was addressing the nation following Russia's attacks on Ukraine. DeSantis made no mention of Russia or Ukraine.

Finally, he called for the audience to "put on the full armor of God," in preparation for the fight against Biden and the liberal agenda.

"You'll be met with flaming arrows, but the shield of faith will stop them, you will emerge victorious," he said.

2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Good god, I hope the war in Ukraine will help people put idiots and their retoric like this behind them. What absolute nonsense. https://www.wesh.com/article/desantis-florida-national-guard-bidens-state-of-the-union/39277052

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has rejected a request from President Joe Biden to send Florida National Guard members to the District of Columbia for the president’s State of the Union address.

DeSantis posted on Twitter: "Last week, the Biden Administration requested the assistance of State National Guards to deploy to Washington D.C. I have rejected this request — there will be no @FLGuard sent to D.C. for Biden’s State of the Union."

Advertisement

The reason for this rejection was not immediately clear, but Florida's governor is not a fan of the Biden administration.

During his Conservative Political Action Conference address last week, the governor said President Joe Biden hates him and the state of Florida because they "stand up to him."

DeSantis said the media puts out "a blizzard of lies" meant to relieve the blame on Biden, which he referred to as "the Brandon Administration."

As the governor was speaking, President Joe Biden was addressing the nation following Russia's attacks on Ukraine. DeSantis made no mention of Russia or Ukraine.

Finally, he called for the audience to "put on the full armor of God," in preparation for the fight against Biden and the liberal agenda.

"You'll be met with flaming arrows, but the shield of faith will stop them, you will emerge victorious," he said.

and he is the 2nd favorite republican behind trump.    god help us.    

This also begs the question- was he even asked??? All guard troops are coming from geographically close states and sounds like it was put out vaguely nationwide to all state guards, not Florida. I don't hear Ricketts going- "yeah, we weren't needed or directly asked anyway, but dang it I refuse to send troops to help Biden."

Again, a grandstanding moron, trying to score political points, making something out of absolutely nothing. ---Grrr.. Right wing outrage machine go! 

• Plus1 3

DeSantis has always been a schlub and a clown who makes his bread out of kindling partisanship fires and trying to score political brownie points against liberals. He's a microcosm of all that's wrong with American politics.

I would think with what's going on in the world, we would see even more unity among Americans. Not that there hasn't been, of course. It seems most of the country is on the same page with assisting Ukraine and keeping our troops out, regardless of political affiliation. But, by and large, the people flaring up smoke in favor of (or in tacit approval of) Russian's current assault on Ukraine are Republicans. I would say it's weird but it's more just painfully on brand than anything else.

And yeah... the national guard stuff is DeSantis just taking a low-hanging fruit opportunity to act brave and entertain the lowest common denominators in his party. Bully for him, I guess.

• Plus1 2

35 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I would think so.  The Pentagon approved 700 and DC National Guard is sending 400, and I think the main task is to help direct traffic especially if a "convoy" comes through town.  But I would think those other 300 would like to be able to have an easy trip home after carrying an orange flashlight for 12 hours.

But I can also see why folks think Desantis is an a-hole in this.  Why go out of his way to make it sound like he isn't interested in helping?  

That’s a good question too

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

He will be the nominee if he wants it.  Thankfully for the future of the USA. 

if he is the nominee...i will vote all democratic. the crazy side of the republican party must be stopped.  you ahve voted for the crazy part of the republican party before and i expect you to do so again...but i am off that crazy train.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

He will be the nominee if he wants it.  Thankfully for the future of the USA. 

Unless Trump runs. 

But in all seriousness, watching the DeSantis vs Abbot race to prove who can descend further towards the bottom in order to win the votes of the MAGAverse is pretty hilarious. 

Hopefully if DeSantis wins he can bring his state Surgeon General along with him. You know, the guy who questioned vaccine efficacy no doubt leading to unnecessary deaths of his state. It's truly a message that must be spread to the rest of the country. 

I mean, his state Surgeon General called vaccines "nothing special". 

Or, my personal favorite, is this quote about why CVS should stock up on leeches: “The ancient Egyptians used leeches in medical treatments more than three thousand years ago,” Ladapo said at his confirmation hearing. “Unlike some quote-unquote vaccines, leeches have stood the test of time.”

Please, if there is a God, let DeSantis win so he can take this guy with him to the White House so the rest of us can be blessed with this wisdom.

• Plus1 2

58 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Unless Trump runs. 

But in all seriousness, watching the DeSantis vs Abbot race to prove who can descend further towards the bottom in order to win the votes of the MAGAverse is pretty hilarious. 

Hopefully if DeSantis wins he can bring his state Surgeon General along with him. You know, the guy who questioned vaccine efficacy no doubt leading to unnecessary deaths of his state. It's truly a message that must be spread to the rest of the country. 

I mean, his state Surgeon General called vaccines "nothing special". 

Or, my personal favorite, is this quote about why CVS should stock up on leeches: “The ancient Egyptians used leeches in medical treatments more than three thousand years ago,” Ladapo said at his confirmation hearing. “Unlike some quote-unquote vaccines, leeches have stood the test of time.”

Please, if there is a God, let DeSantis win so he can take this guy with him to the White House so the rest of us can be blessed with this wisdom.

in florida you can be fired for saying people should get vaccinated.....but if you advocate against taking the vaccine and praise leeches you get promoted to surgeon general.    thanks Brondon

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Why does DC need the FL national guard again? 

Not sure why Biden requested troops from Florida, but it did make a deliberate headline slap at DeSantis. 

Virginia has 25,841 reserve & national guard troops.  The DC area has 3400.  There will be 700 on hand.

The states with the highest numbers of Reserve and National Guard troops are:

1. California (58,844)
2. Texas (55,971)
3. Florida (36,971)
4. Pennsylvania (32,494)
5. New York (30,353)
6. Georgia (29,964)
7. Ohio (28,455)
8. Virginia (25,841)

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, admo said:

Not sure why Biden requested troops from Florida, but it did make a deliberate headline slap at DeSantis. 

Virginia has 25,841 reserve & national guard troops.  The DC area has 3400.  There will be 700 on hand.

The states with the highest numbers of Reserve and National Guard troops are:

1. California (58,844)
2. Texas (55,971)
3. Florida (36,971)
4. Pennsylvania (32,494)
5. New York (30,353)
6. Georgia (29,964)
7. Ohio (28,455)
8. Virginia (25,841)

He didn't, read the other posts. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1