What is the future of the Republican Party?

38 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

And let's be honest, Archy supports Walker because of the 'R' next to his name. He then rationalizes his support and desire for him to win after that fact. Millions of Americans do the same. 

His team is terrified the public will hear him speak in any unscripted event.

Agreed on the first part. Ds do it as well. Human nature if you identify strongly with either faction of liberal or conservative beliefs.

As to the bold...are you describing Walker? Which fits.

Or Biden? Cuz that also fits.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

One party super majority rule for any party for that long would not be a good thing for the country.  

What are some (R’s) you voted for and why?  I’ve named (D’s) on here that I’ve voted for.  

How do you know this?  Please explain. 

I voted for Ben Sasse in 2020. His Democrat opponent was scandal ridden and slimey. Ben Sasse is a lot of things - slimey isn't one of them. I find him frustrating because he has a chance to break the mold, but his votes often fall in line with the party. I do respect the way he publicly calls out his fellow Senators.

To your second point, I say this because Walker's team kept him out of the primary debate held for his constituency. The few media interviews he does are with friendly networks or personalities. His statements are often weird and incoherent. Not in a way that's funny like Trump, but in a way where his team had clearly coached him in what to say but he doesn't understand enough to respond adequately. 

For example, in a Fox News interview in early April, Herschel Walker responded to questioning regarding gas prices. He's clearly trying to say 'We need to be energy independent and we have the natural resources, the ability to create jobs, and the Biden Administration is preventing that'. Instead, what he said was:

“This is one of the most environmental drilling countries in the world but yet we’re walking on all the resources we have under our feet and we won’t say, ‘Hey, guys, we gotta come out of this.”

So, after some blowback from this and other interviews, they skipped the debate and will likely not participate in others. The less people hear, the less they can attack. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
42 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I voted for Ben Sasse in 2020. His Democrat opponent was scandal ridden and slimey. Ben Sasse is a lot of things - slimey isn't one of them. I find him frustrating because he has a chance to break the mold, but his votes often fall in line with the party. I do respect the way he publicly calls out his fellow Senators.

To your second point, I say this because Walker's team kept him out of the primary debate held for his constituency. The few media interviews he does are with friendly networks or personalities. His statements are often weird and incoherent. Not in a way that's funny like Trump, but in a way where his team had clearly coached him in what to say but he doesn't understand enough to respond adequately. 

For example, in a Fox News interview in early April, Herschel Walker responded to questioning regarding gas prices. He's clearly trying to say 'We need to be energy independent and we have the natural resources, the ability to create jobs, and the Biden Administration is preventing that'. Instead, what he said was:

“This is one of the most environmental drilling countries in the world but yet we’re walking on all the resources we have under our feet and we won’t say, ‘Hey, guys, we gotta come out of this.”

So, after some blowback from this and other interviews, they skipped the debate and will likely not participate in others. The less people hear, the less they can attack. 

You voted for Ben Sasse and then expected him to not vote with the party he ran under?  

Everyone who has commented on HW agrees that he isn’t the ideal politician, is most likely polished up on policy and is where he is because of his name recognition.   One would think (R) Georgians would vote for a better primary candidate.    I have previously said that I hope Walker would do debates and not take the Biden basement strategy of media during the election.  The more people know the better.  

Trying to figure out why you are arguing about things I agree on??  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I voted for Ben Sasse in 2020. His Democrat opponent was scandal ridden and slimey. Ben Sasse is a lot of things - slimey isn't one of them. I find him frustrating because he has a chance to break the mold, but his votes often fall in line with the party.

Same. I can't even remember who his Dem opponent was. Sasse is a goof and too often falls into party-line lockstep, but I'd trust him over whoever the Dem candidate was.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Same. I can't even remember who his Dem opponent was. Sasse is a goof and too often falls into party-line lockstep, but I'd trust him over whoever the Dem candidate was.

IIRC it was Chris Janicek?

Agree with this and what others have said, though. My general opinion of Sasse is I don't mind him. I appreciate that he's willing to call out BS in his party just as much as he is in other parties. I agree with him on quite a few policy issues. My only real complaint about him is that he says pretty things and tries to give an appearance of bipartisanship but almost always votes in lock step with his party.

That's not really a him problem exclusively (the partisan voting thing) - I just find that disappointing in general. I think politicians let their party mold their views rather than their views mold their party. Sometimes I think it's just silly how many things Republicans and Democrats allegedly appear to agree on. Nobody agrees on that much crap.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

You voted for Ben Sasse and then expected him to not vote with the party he ran under?  

Everyone who has commented on HW agrees that he isn’t the ideal politician, is most likely polished up on policy and is where he is because of his name recognition.   One would think (R) Georgians would vote for a better primary candidate.    I have previously said that I hope Walker would do debates and not take the Biden basement strategy of media during the election.  The more people know the better.  

Trying to figure out why you are arguing about things I agree on??  

The primary difference is that Herschel Walker is unstable and arguably has threatened the lives of two ex-wives. His rhetoric on vaccinations, in line with the Trumpy wing of the Party, is directly harmful to his constituency and is a reason why counties with higher rates of voting for Trump have higher death rates.

I'm not mad at Ben Sasse for voting for Republicans - he is openly critical of his Senate colleagues, certain pieces of legislation, calls Ted Cruz a jacka$$ while sitting next to him... then votes for it all anyway. That's the frustrating part. He also rightly criticises a lot about politics in general but doesn't seek out ways to fix it.

• Plus1 3
(Bolded: woooooof)

The Tennessee Republican Party voted Tuesday to remove former State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus and two other people from the August primary ballot in the state's 5th Congressional District.

The vote marked the culmination of months of effort by both GOP legislators and activists to boot Ortagus because she had only recently moved to the state. She was endorsed by former President Donald Trump.

"I am deeply disappointed in the SEC’s decision," Ortagus said in a statement, referring to the party’s State Executive Committee. "I’m a bonafide Republican by their standards, and frankly, by any metric. I’m further disappointed that the party insiders at the Tennessee Republican Party do not seem to share my commitment to President Trump’s America First policies. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:
(Bolded: woooooof)

The Tennessee Republican Party voted Tuesday to remove former State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus and two other people from the August primary ballot in the state's 5th Congressional District.

The vote marked the culmination of months of effort by both GOP legislators and activists to boot Ortagus because she had only recently moved to the state. She was endorsed by former President Donald Trump.

"I am deeply disappointed in the SEC’s decision," Ortagus said in a statement, referring to the party’s State Executive Committee. "I’m a bonafide Republican by their standards, and frankly, by any metric. I’m further disappointed that the party insiders at the Tennessee Republican Party do not seem to share my commitment to President Trump’s America First policies. 

Wow.....

Commitment to Dear Leader......

I'm actually very surprised the Tennessee GOP did this.

• Plus1 2

I am very impressed whenever I hear Ben Sasse speak. I don't know who Nebraska's Dem alternative was, but it sounds like he/she was an uninspiring option for Dems, much less the needed crossover vote.

But at the end of the day, Ben Sasse is no different than Marjorie Taylor Greene or Donald Trump. Words are swell, but votes actually affect lives. 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I am very impressed whenever I hear Ben Sasse speak. I don't know who Nebraska's Dem alternative was, but it sounds like he/she was an uninspiring option for Dems, much less the needed crossover vote.

But at the end of the day, Ben Sasse is no different than Marjorie Taylor Greene or Donald Trump. Words are swell, but votes actually affect lives. 

I'd agree up to the point that Sasse hasn't proven to be an insurrectionist who tried to overthrow a duly elected president.  That's a big difference.

52 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I'd agree up to the point that Sasse hasn't proven to be an insurrectionist who tried to overthrow a duly elected president.  That's a big difference.

Yeah, he was one of the 6 Republicans who agreed to let the Jan 6 Commission proceed. Sad that it was considered courageous, but he does deserve the credit. 

I would say Sasse has spent the last two years seriously positioning himself as the Sensible Republican with an eye on running for President in 2024, assuming the national GOP was getting tired of the clown show. But I'm still seeing zero heat around Sensible Republicans. 

I was in Lincoln around the 2020 election. There were plenty of Republican yard signs, but many -- possible most -- did not include Ben Sasse. 

Is he popular enough to get re-elected, or do Nebraskans want to punish him for his Trump disloyalty?  i.e. is he going to get primaried by an inarticulate gun & Bible waver? 

• Plus1 2

I think Sasse is well-liked and popular enough to get re-elected. He's sensible even though he's a vote-by-party kind of guy. He's probably going to vote for or against a lot of things I disagree with him on but I at least get the sense he is pretty rationale even if we have fundamental policy disagreements.

So I think a lot of Nebraska Republicans will stick with him and he'd probably get a fair amount of independent support which is were I think his strength has been in recent elections. He dunked on the competition pretty hard in 2020. I voted for him over Janicek.

3 hours ago, Scarlet said:

it's sad that is the bar for moderate republicans now.  "hey...at least he isn't insurrectionists."   

• Plus1 3