What is the future of the Republican Party?

34 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I have my doubts that Pence will support Trump for any office including dog catcher. 

I don't. The Republicans power is unity. They don't break rank, and they don't turn on eachother. They cling to that because it provides them power, which is all they want. They don't care who holds what office as long as it isn't a democrat and they vote the way they are supposed to. 

Dems on the other hand frequently throw each other under the bus. Manufacture and play into outrage against each other and perceived scandals. Dems have the power of forward thinking and forward action, which the populace wants- they don't have the unity and follow through to make anything happen. 

In congress we don't have anything other than obstructionists and dreamers as a result. Its pretty sad. It will only get worse unless we end gerrymandering, have open primaries and implement ranked choice voting.  

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I don't. The Republicans power is unity. They don't break rank, and they don't turn on eachother. They cling to that because it provides them power, which is all they want. They don't care who holds what office as long as it isn't a democrat and they vote the way they are supposed to. 

Somewhat agree.  This is what the Republican party HAS been.

However, that's not who they are now.  They are the party to support Trump....and only Trump.  Anyone who dares criticize Trump IS thrown under the bus and demonized to the point of being voted out of office.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Somewhat agree.  This is what the Republican party HAS been.

However, that's not who they are now.  They are the party to support Trump....and only Trump.  Anyone who dares criticize Trump IS thrown under the bus and demonized to the point of being voted out of office.

For some, others see TFG as their best chance to regain power, so they go along. They figure they''ll get the power and then deal with the consequences of the person later. 

17 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

For some, others see TFG as their best chance to regain power, so they go along. They figure they''ll get the power and then deal with the consequences of the person later. 

There is a chance that Trump doesn't even run in 2024.  But, The party exists right now to keep him in power in the party and do NOT say something against what he says to do.  If this were not the case, they would be supporting the hearings and would have put good people on the committee that have respect from a lot of people.  However, that's not what they chose to do.  Instead, they are fighting to get the Republicans that ARE on the committee voted out of office because they dared to expose Trump for what he is.

• Fire 1

37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is a chance that Trump doesn't even run in 2024.  But, The party exists right now to keep him in power in the party and do NOT say something against what he says to do.  If this were not the case, they would be supporting the hearings and would have put good people on the committee that have respect from a lot of people.  However, that's not what they chose to do.  Instead, they are fighting to get the Republicans that ARE on the committee voted out of office because they dared to expose Trump for what he is.

I don't think they are fighting the hearings to protect Trump. I think those of them that are the loudest are probably implicated. At what point do you draw a line between the Trump campaign and the Republican party? I think its hard to separate the two and most Republicans know that their a** is on the line too. 

2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I don't think they are fighting the hearings to protect Trump. I think those of them that are the loudest are probably implicated. At what point do you draw a line between the Trump campaign and the Republican party? I think its hard to separate the two and most Republicans know that their a** is on the line too. 

They are implicated because of their devotion to Trump and refusal to push back against anything he wants....to stay in power.  That pretty much falls in line with what I was describing.  Now, it's flowing through to the hearings.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Dems on the other hand frequently throw each other under the bus. Manufacture and play into outrage against each other and perceived scandals. Dems have the power of forward thinking and forward action, which the populace wants- they don't have the unity and follow through to make anything happen. 

In congress we don't have anything other than obstructionists and dreamers as a result. Its pretty sad. It will only get worse unless we end gerrymandering, have open primaries and implement ranked choice voting.  

Yes, I agree to a point  - for unscrupulous people like Ted Cruz and Lindsey Graham, etc  - trump can denounce them, their dad (Cruz), call them names etc but the bottom line was retaining power. Therefore,  they brown nose the abuser and are dependent on him for their power.  My gut believes Pence has made a clean cut from Trump.  I was always disappointed in Pence when he didn't cut ties when the Access Hollywood tapes came out -  He did so I think out of loyalty to the party over loyalty to Trump and perhaps their promise that he'd be next in line (so that would be a power thing) - whatever the reason I think he should have stepped away from the vp nomination.  

If Pence still seeks Trump's approval after all that trump did to him, then I know he's become co-dependent on the abuser and an enabler.  I will have zero respect for him. 

I agree 100% with the bold

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, knapplc said:

The Republicans are not sending America's best and brightest to Washington.  :facepalm:

To be fair I was flipping channels and thought they were really there too. And thought to myself how the hell did they get to have a desk there?