What is the future of the Republican Party?

15 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

America isn’t going to elect a well documented Russian war criminal/murderer for President JJ.  I don’t know what else to tell you.  Like there’s zero chance that would ever happen.  

Zilch.

I hope you’re right that there are still just enough people in this country to keep that from happening. But take a look at the current makeup of the R party, the people they’ve elected and their top candidates and then think about the characteristics of Putin. He would be very appealing to a whole bunch of R voters. But yeah, he likely doesn’t win but only because he’s Russian and already known. Guarantee though that Putin/Trump would be an uncomfortably close race and they would win many states.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I don’t think it would be close at all actually but like I said they would get ‘some’ votes.  You could throw any stooge up there and they would still get votes in the country we live in today.

You’re just not as cynical as me…and that’s okay. Trump won in 2016, came close in 20 and so far is the highest polling R, with Desantis in 2nd, for 24. Those facts alone should deeply concern every American. Thinking it can’t happen here isn’t particularly useful imo. It has happened, is happening and there is a very high chance it will continue.

44 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

A Putin/Trump ticket would get dunked on.   There isn't any other way to say it and I say that pretty confidently as well.

Maybe you’re misunderstanding me? I’m not saying specifically Putin himself. I’m saying somebody exactly like Putin. Same personality, pretty much the same credentials, just as crooked and maniacal… I mean sure, I’d hope we wouldn’t elect Vladimir Putin but is it a stretch for you to believe somebody almost exactly like him wouldn’t appeal to enough R voters that it wouldn’t be close to a slam dunk? Exhibit A- Trump. Exhibit B- Desantis. Other examples- Gaetz, Boebert, Hawley, MTG, almost every R member of congress…. That tells me the American voter is not to be trusted with doing anything close to the right thing.

Like I said, it’s a mistake to think this country is above something like this happening. It has and is happening.

17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Maybe you’re misunderstanding me? I’m not saying specifically Putin himself.

3 hrs ago, J J Husker said:

Even sadder, Putin/Trump would have a legit shot at winning. I’d like to see the poll numbers, easily the leading R combination. I’m not being hyperbolic.

10 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

If you just want to argue for the sake of arguing, find somebody else. When you want to discuss ideas, let me know.

Let me know how that “it can’t happen here” attitude works out. Problem is, most everyone knows it can happen here because it has and is.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

If you just want to argue for the sake of arguing, find somebody else. When you want to discuss ideas, let me know.

Let me know how that “it can’t happen here” attitude works out. Problem is, most everyone knows it can happen here because it has and is.

I'm not arguing with you.  I think you want to turn into one though.

You said what you said.  That's it...

1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

I'm not arguing with you.  I think you want to turn into one though.

You said what you said.  That's it...

About 3 posts back I conceded that “Putin” likely wouldn’t win. What else do you want from me?

What I want from you is acknowledgement that somebody significantly like Putin on a ticket with Trump would be anything but a slam dunk loss. Or you can just be wrong about it. :dunno

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

About 3 posts back I conceded that “Putin” likely wouldn’t win. What else do you want from me?

What I want from you is acknowledgement that somebody significantly like Putin on a ticket with Trump would be anything but a slam dunk loss. Or you can just be wrong about it. :dunno

I had no idea there was a 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to differing opinions.  I guess I'm wrong and there apparently is...

3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I had no idea there was a 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to differing opinions.  I guess I'm wrong and there apparently is...

Apparently I’m wrong in thinking the R party has made it abundantly clear what it is capable of.

1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

Ok you are right JJ.  

Oh no, no, you are right. There is nothing to be concerned about. The American voter will invariably do the right thing. Right at 50% of our people aren’t actually crazy. :P

• Haha 1