What is the future of the Republican Party?

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

“She knocked it out.  They added it back in and basically, you know, wanted to tempt us to, I guess, vote against it,” Thune said, while taking aim at Democrats for “overruling the parliamentarian.” 

He said the effort to overturn the parliamentarian undermined the integrity of Senate procedure and Senate rules.  

“It undermines the whole reconciliation process if you if you start doing that,” he said. “So, I mean, I think there’s a right way and wrong way to do it. They want to get that vote, there’s a lot of ways they can get that vote, but doing it this way, was the wrong way to do it.” 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3591586-democrats-fail-to-overrule-parliamentarian-on-insulin-price-cap-as-gop-votes-no/amp/

I remember way back when, when you all complained about sticking to political norms:dunno

Any reason why a simple stand alone insulin bill couldn’t come to the floor for a vote?   Instead of breaking senate rules?  I know why.   

The amendment - *gasp* - needed 60 votes to pass, as many as a stand alone bill needs. 

The proposed stand alone bill was identical to what was included in the IRA. Republicans didn't vote for it because they didn't want Democrats to add another win in the bill. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The amendment - *gasp* - needed 60 votes to pass, as many as a stand alone bill needs. 

The proposed stand alone bill was identical to what was included in the IRA. Republicans didn't vote for it because they didn't want Democrats to add another win in the bill. 

Hopefully all those R no votes come back to bite them in the a$$. If I’m an insulin user in Iowa or any state with R senators (and I have to believe that includes a whole bunch of voters) their little technicality BS excuse would ring very hollow with me. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

So Republicans screwed American insulin users because the Democrats did a procedure wrong?

Of all the ridiculous tissue-thin excuses. 

I’ll ask again.  Any reason why a simple insulin stand alone bill wasn’t presented?  

am I to understand the only way Dems would present this package was in a bill that went against Senate rules?   There was no other option?  Hmmmmmm

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

A tent full of con artists, russophiles, Qanon conspiracy theorists, science deniers, insurrectionists, Cristo-fascists, homophobes, misogynists,  authoritarians, and if they're none of those, spineless weasels who are afraid of an ignorant base.   Is that about right?  

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’ll ask again.  Any reason why a simple insulin stand alone bill wasn’t presented?  

am I to understand the only way Dems would present this package was in a bill that went against Senate rules?   There was no other option?  Hmmmmmm

It's a silly question. There's no reason to have a stand-alone bill for one line item. 

What's also silly is just carving that one thing out, then pretending it was done because of procedural issues. 

Obviously if Republicans truly wanted to pass such a bill, drafting it would be easy, and they could get it on the docket almost immediately. But we all know that's as likely as seeing their "repeal and replace" bill for Obamacare. Remember that old lie?

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Don't know. Pretty sure someone will step forward to prove you -- at best -- disingenuous. 

We are dealing in the same realm where Republicans got outfoxed by Chuck Shumer and Joe Manchin, and retaliated by punishing Veterans. 

And also: the GOP lying about everything. Stupid bald-faced lies they hope will deflect from their awfulness. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey all, let's please not post jokes/suggestions about assassinating current or former elected U.S. officials. That's not really appropriate for discussion purposes and just a bit risky overall. Thanks for understanding. If you have questions just shoot me a DM.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Hey all, let's please not post jokes/suggestions about assassinating current or former elected U.S. officials. That's not really appropriate for discussion purposes and just a bit risky overall. Thanks for understanding. If you have questions just shoot me a DM.

My bad. I thought maybe it was unclear and vague enough to slide. Correction noted.