What is the future of the Republican Party?

1 hour ago, alexhortdog95 said:

His "narrative?" C'mon bruh....you're spouting opinion around here as if it were fact.  You posted a single link to ONE website to a secretary of state who:

• Restricted the location of ballot drop boxes
  • Prohibited non-poll workers from handing out food and drinks near voters standing in line
  • Closed a large number of polling places in minority communities
  • Cost his state the MLB All-Star game because of his support for such draconian and suppressive voter laws

And someone ELSE has a narrative?  Hell, I voted the other day in less than 10 minutes and was offered coffee, tea and juice from the freaking poll workers.

Well GA SOS was picked specifically because that state had a voting law that was complained about as being Jim Crow 2.0 and would restrict voting rights.   If you followed the link you would be able to find the vote totals for the past mid term elections to compare them.  

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

:laughpound

It's amazing to me how Fox News and the Post are so blunt about it.

It is smart, they are in the biznass of getting views/clicks.  

This is the Howard Stern effect...people that now hate Fox News because they "turned on" Trump, will watch it longer an click on more of their links.  Why...because they want to hear/read what they say next about Trump.

• TBH 1

I can't help but feel this whole thing is, to some degree, just an ego or attempted power flex by Trump. It feels like a bit of a joke.

I'm just having a hard time envisioning he's going to be able to muster enough wide-ranging support to make it out of the primaries. Most Republicans I know (anecdotally, of course) are on the DeSantis train. I'm not a huge DeSantis fan, but he's a much better face for Republicans than Trump ever was or will be.

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I can't help but feel this whole thing is, to some degree, just an ego or attempted power flex by Trump. It feels like a bit of a joke.

I'm just having a hard time envisioning he's going to be able to muster enough wide-ranging support to make it out of the primaries. Most Republicans I know (anecdotally, of course) are on the DeSantis train. I'm not a huge DeSantis fan, but he's a much better face for Republicans than Trump ever was or will be.

I agree!

I think this is him getting more money and honestly, I think he likes to f#&% with people.  I think he likes that his running again gives people a rage-boner.  

13 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Did you copy and paste this from 2015?

• TBH 4
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I agree!

I think this is him getting more money and honestly, I think he likes to f#&% with people.  I think he likes that his running again gives people a rage-boner.  

I think he is broke, knows he is broke and he keeps the money rolling by fleecing his gullible followers - as he did with his fake J6 defense fund.  Everything with him is about the money - create new money streams.  Thus the WH was about how he could rape the Govt by (1) using his hotels/resorts/clubs for official business - even demanding that they be used  (2) charging far above book rate when so used   He is an opportunist of the worst kind. And He is the worst kind of narcissistic personality - he demands to be at the center of attention. He NEEDS to be at the center of attention.  If he isn't, he is willing to bring the whole GOP down with him.  His attacks on his primary opponents will be brutal - as he has already shown wt his labels on DeSantis and Youngkin.  

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What's funny is that I almost finished my post by saying something like 'but I thought this the first time Trump ran and look what happened.'

That said, I do think there are more signs/indications at this point that Trump is out of favor. He was, admittedly, different and interesting the first time around in 2015/2016. He doesn't have that this time and I think there will be a concerted effort to support DeSantis and work against Trump.

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I get this, but the difference is we have seven years of proof how bad this guy is. A lot of people, including folks here on HuskerBoard, have expressed deep regret taking a flyer on him in 2016. Remember how people hoped he'd "grow into the job," and all that. We've had several people state right here in P&R they wish they could take that vote back, and they'll never vote for him again.

There are three main reasons he's running again:

1) his ego forces him to remain in the spotlight

2) he thinks (wrongly) that running means he can't/won't be prosecuted

3) he's continuing the grift of his dopey small-money cult supporters

• TBH 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I get this, but the difference is we have seven years of proof how bad this guy is. A lot of people, including folks here on HuskerBoard, have expressed deep regret taking a flyer on him in 2016. Remember how people hoped he'd "grow into the job," and all that. We've had several people state right here in P&R they wish they could take that vote back, and they'll never vote for him again.

There are three main reasons he's running again:

1) his ego forces him to remain in the spotlight

2) he thinks (wrongly) that running means he can't/won't be prosecuted

3) he's continuing the grift of his dopey small-money cult supporters

Yeah...well...this is the type of thing that was being said about him in 20215.  

And....he was still able to create a cult around him.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And....he was still able to create a cult around him.

I can appreciate/understand the pessimism given what happened back in 2015/16, but I genuinely believe the political landscape and perspective on Trump has shifted too significantly by this point.

Moderates voted for him last time around out of pure interest, assumptions of 'doing things differently,' and successful anti-Clinton campaigning efforts by Republicans. I don't think most of the things that worked in his favor in 2015/16 are going to be relevant in two years and we already have the proof from 2020 that they didn't work (election deniers aside).

55 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think it's ego or power - it's survival.

He's thinking that as long as he runs for office that the criminal and civil cases against him pause.

8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I can appreciate/understand the pessimism given what happened back in 2015/16, but I genuinely believe the political landscape and perspective on Trump has shifted too significantly by this point.

Moderates voted for him last time around out of pure interest, assumptions of 'doing things differently,' and successful anti-Clinton campaigning efforts by Republicans. I don't think most of the things that worked in his favor in 2015/16 are going to be relevant in two years and we already have the proof from 2020 that they didn't work (election deniers aside).

Funny thing is, had he handled the pandemic and race relations in this country with ANY semblance of consciousness...he'd probably have easily won reelection.