What is the future of the Republican Party?

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Well GA SOS was picked specifically because that state had a voting law that was complained about as being Jim Crow 2.0 and would restrict voting rights.   If you followed the link you would be able to find the vote totals for the past mid term elections to compare them.  

So his answer was to replace "Jim Crow 2.0" with "Jim Crow 2.1.1?"

Cause if you ask ANY minority voter down there in Georgia, it hasn't gotten better since he's been the SoS.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

So his answer was to replace "Jim Crow 2.0" with "Jim Crow 2.1.1?"

Cause if you ask ANY minority voter down there in Georgia, it hasn't gotten better since he's been the SoS.

Vote totals disagree with your incorrect assessment. 

You have queried every single minority voter on their assessment of whether voting has gotten easier? :blink:  Prob best not to speak in absolutes.  

P.S.….do you even know who controls polling precinct closures in GA? 

P.S.S…..GA is less restrictive than many dark blue states including our fearless leaders home state.  

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I can appreciate/understand the pessimism given what happened back in 2015/16, but I genuinely believe the political landscape and perspective on Trump has shifted too significantly by this point.

Moderates voted for him last time around out of pure interest, assumptions of 'doing things differently,' and successful anti-Clinton campaigning efforts by Republicans. I don't think most of the things that worked in his favor in 2015/16 are going to be relevant in two years and we already have the proof from 2020 that they didn't work (election deniers aside).

The biggest factor in his winning in 2016 is that he was running against the absolute worst candidate the Dems could have possibly put up.  There were the people who had already fallen into the Trump cult and also people who hated Hillary so bad they were going to vote for anyone other than her.

That's why I have been saying it's extremely important that the Dems put a good, reasonable candidate up.

• TBH 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Vote totals disagree with your incorrect assessment. 

You have queried every single minority voter on their assessment of whether voting has gotten easier? :blink:  Prob best not to speak in absolutes.  

P.S.….do you even know who controls polling precinct closures in GA? 

P.S.S…..GA is less restrictive than many dark blue states including our fearless leaders home state.  

Post the vote totals.  I'm not doing your work for you.

"Dems are illegally harvesting ballots..." - that's not an absolute?

P.S. - Local election boards control precinct closures in almost all 50 states, including Nebraska. They also control where your polling place is.  I know this as my church, on which I sit as a member of the board of Trustees, is a polling place.  I've seen an election commission move and close polling places - like my church - so trust me, when I hear from minorities every day who are fighting to help people exercise their rights say that it's bad, I trust what they're saying.

P.P.S. - you typed this with a straight face?

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/voting-laws-roundup-october-2021

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Funny thing is, had he handled the pandemic and race relations in this country with ANY semblance of consciousness...he'd probably have easily won reelection.

Really just Covid...if covid did not happen (thanks China, I kid I kid) he wins with ease.

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The biggest factor in his winning in 2016 is that he was running against the absolute worst candidate the Dems could have possibly put up.  There were the people who had already fallen into the Trump cult and also people who hated Hillary so bad they were going to vote for anyone other than her.

That's why I have been saying it's extremely important that the Dems put a good, reasonable candidate up.

How Bill can be so charming, funny and likeable and his "wife" none of those things, is amazing.  

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

How Bill can be so charming, funny and likeable and his "wife" none of those things, is amazing.  

Because if Bill said he was under fire on a tarmac in Europe, we'd believe him - because he's Slick Willie.

Hillary? Nope, couldn't believe her.  Funny to say, but she had more of a credibility issue than her husband does.

• TBH 1
4 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Because if Bill said he was under fire on a tarmac in Europe, we'd believe him - because he's Slick Willie.

Hillary? Nope, couldn't believe her.  Funny to say, but she had more of a credibility issue than her husband does.

I think that is because Bill lied about s#!t we don't really care about...like banging other women.

Plus he seems like he would be fun to party with.

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Post the vote totals.  I'm not doing your work for you.

I did.   The data is in the link you probably didn’t look at.  A page within the site allows you to pull up past GA elections. 

26 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

"Dems are illegally harvesting ballots..." - that's not an absolute?

No.  If I were to say EVERY Dem is harvesting ballots, that would be an absolute.  

27 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

P.S. - Local election boards control precinct closures in almost all 50 states, including Nebraska. They also control where your polling place is.  I know this as my church, on which I sit as a member of the board of Trustees, is a polling place.  I've seen an election commission move and close polling places - like my church - so trust me, when I hear from minorities every day who are fighting to help people exercise their rights say that it's bad, I trust what they're saying.

Then you would understand the person you try and demonize Kemp didn’t control this process.  And in GA, Fulton country is run by Dems.  I’m glad we agree with this. 

30 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

P.P.S. - you typed this with a straight face?

Yes.  Why wouldn’t I.  

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'll come back to this since it's been awhile.

Hillary Clinton was the most experienced and qualified person that's run for president in generations.  She was considered "unlikable" by many, but it wasn't because she was a bad candidate on qualifications.  It was 1.  That she was a woman and women get viewed differently with the same skills that would be viewed as positives as men (assertive vs. b!^@hy anyone?) and 2. That she was married to Bill Clinton.  I don't buy that her stock would have risen if she had divorced him over Lewinsky.  She was a strong woman married to a man that many hated for a variety of reasons, some of which were driven by jealousy of his intelligence and ability to relate to people.  

Its just a shame that although we're moving ahead at light spead for some things in the world women are held to a different standard.  If she was a man that had her qualifications she would have trounced Trump.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I'll come back to this since it's been awhile.

Hillary Clinton was the most experienced and qualified person that's run for president in generations.  She was considered "unlikable" by many, but it wasn't because she was a bad candidate on qualifications.  It was 1.  That she was a woman and women get viewed differently with the same skills that would be viewed as positives as men (assertive vs. b!^@hy anyone?) and 2. That she was married to Bill Clinton.  I don't buy that her stock would have risen if she had divorced him over Lewinsky.  She was a strong woman married to a man that many hated for a variety of reasons, some of which were driven by jealousy of his intelligence and ability to relate to people.  

Its just a shame that although we're moving ahead at light spead for some things in the world women are held to a different standard.  If she was a man that had her qualifications she would have trounced Trump.

Hillary always seemed like she was playing the role of a person she thought voters would like. It came off as artificial and odd. I voted for her because it was clear what Orange Man Bad was/would be from the moment he got the Republican nomination, but it was one of the most difficult votes I've ever done. Had the Republicans ran an even half decent candidate I may have voted for them. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah...well...this is the type of thing that was being said about him in 20215.  

And....he was still able to create a cult around him.

Amazing how Cruz and Graham have become the biggest supporters of Trump.  Trump must have secret files on them both.  Cruz is beyond pathetic.   What he said in the video is true, what he has done since then is shameful.  The guy who threw both his dad and his wife under the bus for trump.  

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Whaaaat?  

Is your argument now that since ballot harvesting occurred, it doesn’t make sense to have laws against it since the law didn’t stop people from doing it? 

No, I've been pretty clear that ballot collecting is not in and of itself bad - in fact it's the opposite since it encourages more people to vote, especially people that have difficulty getting to a polling place. You and the article you linked even both admit that it isn't bad - it's that it carries some increased risk of ballots being changed or filled out by people other than the voter, which is what wasn't prevented.

I've always been of the opinion that laws against ballot collecting don't make sense for a variety of reasons. I just found it pretty telling that the link you gave undercut the entire reason for making balloting collecting illegal in the first example it gave.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1