What is the future of the Republican Party?

51 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If there are other areas that repeatedly have power outages in which people die, then those areas deserve the same criticism as Texas. Texas isn't suddenly off the hook because other places suck too. However, Texas has had this happen on a major scale 3 years in a row now, which I haven't seen in other states, so more criticism than other places is warranted.

But we all know you want to turn a blind eye to what's happening in  Texas because of the political party in charge there.

I truly believe that you understand this better than what you are leading on here with the party politics thing your doing.   

You do get that power lines falling amid an ice storm is quite different than an energy grid running out of power.  Correct.  You have to know this.  

We also in a Democrat run city don’t rush to crucify the Democrat mayor or city councils for the outage unless their was negligence somehow on their part.   If you have a beef with someone in these scenarios, it would be with the local politicians.  

That said, what would have Abbott done, specifically, to prevent this from happening?   Does he have jurisdiction over tree management in Austin, TX?   Is that what Gov’s do

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I truly believe that you understand this better than what you are leading on here with the party politics thing your doing.   

You do get that power lines falling amid an ice storm is quite different than an energy grid running out of power.  Correct.  You have to know this.  

Yes, I'm aware of this. Nothing about this changes the outcomes that Texas power grid keeps failing during cold weather events.

We also in a Democrat run city don’t rush to crucify the Democrat mayor or city councils for the outage unless their was negligence somehow on their part.   If you have a beef with someone in these scenarios, it would be with the local politicians.

I'm totally fine with criticizing any politicians that are not trying to solve this problem regardless of party. By all means, show us what those politicians have or haven't done.

That said, what would have Abbott done, specifically, to prevent this from happening?   Does he have jurisdiction over tree management in Austin, TX?   Is that what Gov’s do

Abbott (and the state government) can pass laws requiring the power companies (or others) to take different actions. Yes, the state could pass laws requiring tree management near power lines (example). The state could also pass laws for burying power lines where ice storms are likely to down power lines or bury existing power lines that get downed by an ice storm, which Abbott could be proposing right now in order to prevent this from happening again.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:
38 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Yes, I'm aware of this. Nothing about this changes the outcomes that Texas power grid keeps failing during cold weather events.

The Texas power grid didn’t fail in the context you and the other poster politically claim.   Down lines are causing the issue.   The sort of thing that happens in states other than TX too.    Even in CO!

https://www.fox21news.com/news/csu-says-keep-away-from-power-lines-in-spring-storm-safety-update/amp/

• TBH 1
22 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The state could also pass laws for burying power lines where ice storms are likely to down power lines or bury existing power lines that get downed by an ice storm, which Abbott could be proposing right now in order to prevent this from happening again.

I’m all for burying power lines where it’s applicable.  There are also issues with it too. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/why-dont-we-just-bury-the-power-lines-to-stop-winter-outages/amp/

To blame this outage on the Gov would be insanely ignorant IMO 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The Texas power grid didn’t fail in the context you and the other poster politically claim.   Down lines are causing the issue.   The sort of thing that happens in states other than TX too.    Even in CO!

https://www.fox21news.com/news/csu-says-keep-away-from-power-lines-in-spring-storm-safety-update/amp/

Classic Archy: get debunked? Create a strawman!

I'm not claiming a specific way the grid went down. The fact it's not the same cause as the last times the grid went down doesn't change the criticism. Abbott (or any of the Texas politicians) could have addressed the previous ways the grid went down or even used some fore thought about other ways the grid could go down and then set about looking at ways to prevent those things from happening. I mean, you could argue Abbot or the other politicians couldn't have foreseen ice storms causing branches to down power lines, but that's pretty weak since as you point out it has happened elsewhere.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 3

15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Are you going to sit there and tell me this isn't a direct punishment from God for Texas electing Greg Abbott? 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Classic Archy: get debunked? Create a strawman

It’s not a strawman at all.   You made a bad take, it got destroyed like usual and this is always your response.  You are literally Trying to equate the 2 scenarios to make some political point.   

looking forward to seeing your previous froth reposted on Dem Gov where power outages occurred because of ice storms.  :thumbs

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Are you going to sit there and tell me this isn't a direct punishment from God for Texas electing Greg Abbott? 

Which God? 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

And your opinion on the blame Abbott for this outage is……

Haven't followed the ice storm story specifically, but the "we're Texas, we don't need the feds for anything" bluster most definitely showed its weakness in the last power grid imbroglio. 

I'm inclined to give it a bit more credence than an "I did that!" Biden sticker on a gas pump. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Haven't followed the ice storm story specifically, but the "we're Texas, we don't need the feds for anything" bluster most definitely showed its weakness in the last power grid imbroglio. 

I'm inclined to give it a bit more credence than an "I did that!" Biden sticker on a gas pump. 

Not talking about anything in the past or a Biden sticker.  Are downed power lines from an ice storm deserving of Gov Abbott froth.   

• Plus1 1