What is the future of the Republican Party?

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

From the Late Show invite, to the words she's carefully pre-chosen to answer that question, this is a test drive for Kamala Harris to look more presidential (if needed.)

Or she just actually know's wtf she's talking about.  I dunno.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

From the Late Show invite, to the words she's carefully pre-chosen to answer that question, this is a test drive for Kamala Harris to look more presidential (if needed.)

Oh, that was definitely pre planned.

Just now, suh_fan93 said:

Or she just actually know's wtf she's talking about.  I dunno.

That doesn't mean she doesn't know what she's talking about.

My point is that Kamala Harris has largely been kept under wraps her entire Vice-Presidency. Weirdly so, tbh.  More than any recent VP she was viewed as next in line for the Presidency, even second-term or mid-term, given the oldest sitting president ever. But she has had none of the profile or role as Biden had with Obama, Cheney had with Bush, or Gore had with Clinton. 

The educated guess is that Harris did not want to live in the shadows, so her public profile is by someone else's choice. This appearance is telling, as is her choice to answer the question by turning to the audience and offering her world leader resume. Which didn't really answer the question. She's polished, but also slick. Not my first choice, but preferable to others. It's hard to think of a Democrat who couldn't get applause for calling out Ron DeSantis and Russian apologists.

It's worth watching for any changing role for Kamala, as it may be tipping Biden's decision to run --- or the DNCs desire to have a back-up plan. 

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The educated guess is that Harris did not want to live in the shadows, so her public profile is by someone else's choice. This appearance is telling, as is her choice to answer the question by turning to the audience and offering her world leader resume. Which didn't really answer the question. She's polished, but also slick. Not my first choice, but preferable to others. It's hard to think of a Democrat who couldn't get applause for calling out Ron DeSantis and Russian apologists.

It's worth watching for any changing role for Kamala, as it may be tipping Biden's decision to run --- or the DNCs desire to have a back-up plan. 

I got hired for a gig filming a sit down interview with Kamala in 2021. Really cool experience overall, and surreal having to go through all of the hoops of security protocols which are exhaustive and comprehensive, but when she finally entered the room the wildest thing was the sense I had of just how strategic she was. I'm sure this is probably the case to some degree with every politician, but being in close quarters with someone I was able to tell that she was operating at a very, very high level even down to a word-by-word and second-by-second basis on how/when she'd smile, etc. 

14 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I got hired for a gig filming a sit down interview with Kamala in 2021. Really cool experience overall, and surreal having to go through all of the hoops of security protocols which are exhaustive and comprehensive, but when she finally entered the room the wildest thing was the sense I had of just how strategic she was. I'm sure this is probably the case to some degree with every politician, but being in close quarters with someone I was able to tell that she was operating at a very, very high level even down to a word-by-word and second-by-second basis on how/when she'd smile, etc. 

Interesting insight. When she was officially running in 2019/2020 I thought she laughed either a little too often or little too loud. That was an odd thing to think or notice, but it struck me as a practiced laugh that she used at strategic times. 

Another wild guess is that she is surrounded by political handlers who studied Hillary Clinton and are full of advice about how women candidates need to be more likable. 

For the record, whenver Bill Clinton bit his lip and gazed thoughtfully to the heavens, I saw a 15 year old kid practicing the look in front of a mirror. 

31 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My point is that Kamala Harris has largely been kept under wraps her entire Vice-Presidency. Weirdly so, tbh.  More than any recent VP she was viewed as next in line for the Presidency, even second-term or mid-term, given the oldest sitting president ever. But she has had none of the profile or role as Biden had with Obama, Cheney had with Bush, or Gore had with Clinton. 

I don't look at Kamala Harris and think, "She's presidential material," but then again I never thought that about Biden and he's doing OK, so...?

I'd vote for her in a second over the Republican field. I wouldn't like it, just like I didn't like voting for Clinton or Biden, but I'm not down with fascists or their enablers so I don't have much choice. 

It would be nice if either party would proffer up some better-quality candidates soon. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, knapplc said:

I don't look at Kamala Harris and think, "She's presidential material," but then again I never thought that about Biden and he's doing OK, so...?

I'd vote for her in a second over the Republican field. I wouldn't like it, just like I didn't like voting for Clinton or Biden, but I'm not down with fascists or their enablers so I don't have much choice. 

It would be nice if either party would proffer up some better-quality candidates soon. 

Yeah, and I'm worried the Democrats will be paralyzed. If it's not Biden, they almost have to turn to Harris, having invested this much in her as the sitting VP. I think the GOP would be thrilled to pivot to Harris and she would be a huge risk for 2024. 

In order to get better quality candidates, the DNC can't scare away open primary competition by circling the wagons around Kamala. 

At this point, Anybody But the Fascist Enablers is going to get a solid 35% of the electorate, but that next 16% is going to be a catfight.