What is the future of the Republican Party?

2 minutes ago, GSG said:

The DST thing always confuses me. Are they wanting us to spring forward this year and stay there? Or skip the spring forward? 

Yes if this passed tomorrow we would jump forward in a couple weeks and be done with it.

Personally I 100% support that, I would actually rather keep the two time system than stay in standard time all year.

I want my daylight in the afternoon/evening. I don't care about it in the morning.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Might as well after Dems loaded up a relief bill with all kinds of goodies that didn’t pertain to Covid relief.  No one believes in somewhat controlling  the debt anymore so it’s a “might as well get yours” attitude. 

• Plus1 2

So Trump has taken legal action whereby the GOP cannot use his name for raising support.  He asks supporters to donate directly to his PAC instead.

seems like a run up to doing his own party - even though he denies it.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/chris-hayes-trump-pac-095650087.html

MSNBC host Chris Hayes noticed something about Donald Trump’s new PAC, which the former president is urging supporters to donate to instead of other Republican causes.

“He explicitly told his supporters not to give money to anyone but him, telling the faithful to donate through his Save America PAC,” Hayes said on Tuesday. “That’s SAP, for short.”

Trump has been engaged in an increasingly nasty feud with GOP organizations over fundraising. Last week, his attorneys even sent a cease-and-desist letter to the Republican National Committee demanding that it stop using his name in fundraising messages.

The RNC said it would continue to market Trump, citing its First Amendment right to do so.

Trump fired back on Monday with a message urging supporters not to contribute to any cause but his own.

“No more money for RINOS,” he wrote. “They do nothing but hurt the Republican Party and our great voting base – they will never lead us to Greatness.”

Trump urged them to give to SAP instead.

Hayes said there’s really just one core issue for Trump: The former president “hates the notion anyone’s making money off of him and he’s not getting cut in.” Hayes called that a “huge neurosis” and predicted the increasingly ugly battle will only get more heated.

“He’s not going to sit back. There’s not gonna be any kind of permanent arrangement or truce here,” Hayes said. “This is going to be a constant source of tension for the RNC.”

Indeed, Trump on Tuesday released yet another statement saying he supports the party, “but I do not support RINOs and fools, and it is not their right to use my likeness or image to raise funds.”

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Awesome! 

Yes, it will be a kick in the GOP's shorts and a prelude to a new but failing party.

As long as the party allows all of these Q people in the party and more importantly get elected to federal offices, the GOP needs to fall into the ash bin of history.  Hopefully a newer party - moderate - can rise up out of the chaos. 

• Plus1 4

And we all know what trump does with all the cash his ignorant supporters give him...

Trump’s Sleight of Hand: Shouting Fraud, Pocketing Donors’ Cash for Future

Former President Donald J. Trump and the Republican Party leveraged false claims of voter fraud and promises to overturn the election to raise more than a quarter-billion dollars in November and December as hundreds of thousands of trusting supporters listened and opened their wallets.

But the Trump campaign spent only a tiny fraction of its haul on lawyers and other legal bills related to those claims. Instead, Mr. Trump and the G.O.P. stored away much of the money — $175 million or so — even as they continued to issue breathless, aggressive and often misleading appeals for cash that promised it would help with recounts, the rooting out of election fraud and even the Republican candidates’ chances in the two Senate runoff races in Georgia.

What fraction of the money Mr. Trump did spend after the election was plowed mostly into a public-relations campaign and to keep his perpetual fund-raising machine whirring, with nearly $50 million going toward online advertising, text-message outreach and a small television ad campaign.

Only about $10 million spent by Mr. Trump’s campaign went to actual legal costs, according to an analysis of new Federal Election Commission filings from Nov. 4 through the end of the year.

Far more is now sitting in the coffers of a new political action committee, Save America, that Mr. Trump formed after the election and that provides him a fat war chest he can use to pay advisers, fund travel and maintain a political operation. Mr. Trump’s new PAC had $31 million in the bank at the end of 2020 and an estimated $40 million more sitting in a shared party account waiting to be transferred into it.

Mr. Trump’s extraordinary success raising money came mostly from grass-roots and online contributors drawn to his lie that the election result would soon be somehow wiped away. Only about a dozen donors gave $25,000 or more to one of Mr. Trump’s committees after Nov. 24. (The lone six-figure donation came from Elaine J. Wold, a major Republican donor in Florida.)

“Sophisticated donors are not dumb,” said Dan Eberhart, a major Republican donor who has supported Mr. Trump in the past. “They could see through what Trump was trying to do.”

• Plus1 2