What is the future of the Republican Party?

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sooo.....you lose both chambers of congress and the White House after just 4 years and nobody thinks they need to reconsider certain things.  

Interesting article.  The strangle hold Trump has on the party can only be explained as cult like.  At the same time, the article notes the GOP wasn't that far off in winning the WH, Senate and the House.  That only reinforces the 'stay the course' mantra.    As many of us posted before the election, the only way the Trump cult gets thrown to the curb was that the Democrats win in a blowout - WH, Senate, House.  It didn't happen and therefore we will have a Trumpian GOP party for some time. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Interesting article.  The strangle hold Trump has on the party can only be explained as cult like.  At the same time, the article notes the GOP wasn't that far off in winning the WH, Senate and the House.  That only reinforces the 'stay the course' mantra.    As many of us posted before the election, the only way the Trump cult gets thrown to the curb was that the Democrats win in a blowout - WH, Senate, House.  It didn't happen and therefore we will have a Trumpian GOP party for some time. 

2020 was a record turnout year.  The Trump voters were just as excited to vote for Trump as the anti-Trump people were to vote against him.  It will be interesting to see which side keeps the "passion" and if someone besides Trump can keep it going for the GOP.  

If the GOP nominates a "luke warm" Trump wannabe and the "anti-Trumpism" voters decide to turn out again, I think we might get that blow out that you mentioned in your post.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

2020 was a record turnout year.  The Trump voters were just as excited to vote for Trump as the anti-Trump people were to vote against him.  It will be interesting to see which side keeps the "passion" and if someone besides Trump can keep it going for the GOP.  

If the GOP nominates a "luke warm" Trump wannabe and the "anti-Trumpism" voters decide to turn out again, I think we might get that blow out that you mentioned in your post.

the far right wing propaganda network will have their base all fired up for whoever they put up there.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, commando said:

the far right wing propaganda network will have their base all fired up for whoever they put up there.  

They work to get voters fired up every year, but:

Trump 2020: 74,223,369 votes

Trump 2016: 62,984,828 votes

Romney 2012: 60,933,504

McCain 2008: 59,948,323

There was a "yuuuge" jump in 2020.  My guess is this was many new voters like my brother.  He is 50 and don't know if he has ever voted before (my money says he hasn't) but Trump inspired him for some reason once he was in office.  I'll be curious to see what kind of candidate can reach him like that in 2024.

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Taking culting to an even higher cultish level.  Right out of the Jim Jones playbook.

Wow.....

The guy is a complete fraud and clearly uses fraud to swindle people out of their money.  

Need your help to DRAFT Trump. 

And people fall for this crap.  

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The Democrats have a dream scenario here. Their numbers keep going up and republicans keep going down. And, republicans keep doubling down on what got them here. 

Unfortunately, I have little faith in them not f#&%ing it up. 

Heh my faith sounds about like yours.  

• Plus1 1