Should the USA be broken into Several Smaller Countries?

Should the USA break up   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got this idea from a comment @Moiraine made in another thread.  She mentioned that the USA may be like Russia by 2050

A casual google search will reveal many articles, OPEDs and interviews on the subject.   I grabbed a few below.  The politics of the past 20 years have

fed this idea.  Partisans on the right and on the left talk past and over each other, hatred is more abundant than consideration and understanding.

So, I thought I'd start a threat and poll on the topic.   Even if you don't think the USA will break up or should break up, you might comment

on how you think it could be broken up if it actually came to that.  I think most of us in our hearts hope nothing like that would occur and that

we will rise up to be our better angel and learn to live together in peace and harmony (sound like a 1960s Coke commercial or was it Pepsi? I digress)

Someone once gave this word of wisdom:" How you leave one place is how you enter another."  In other words how we leave a relationship, a job,

and even a country is how we enter into the next - we take our baggage with us. The encouragement was to deal with stuff now - take care of the

baggage so it isn't dogging you forever.  Well, maybe us Americans need to do some hard 'self love' and deal with our baggage so that we can move

on.  Running away with our baggage following will never solve anything ultimately.  

So here in one article discussing it

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/political-confessional-the-man-who-thinks-the-u-s-is-better-off-as-a-bunch-of-separate-countries/

PolticalConfessions-0730-4x3.png?w=575

Divide into Blue states and Red states says this writer.  He says the Blue states would be economically stronger.

https://medium.com/@kyle.i.chan/how-to-divide-the-united-states-into-two-countries-f388903876b

https://newrepublic.com/article/159172/united-states-break-up

9780316510608.jpg?1587585921

If the idea of the U.S. dissolving seems far-fetched, one reason is that we have been trained to think of secession and civil war as something long settled. The South tried it, they lost, and ever since disunion has seemed a practical impossibility. But in Richard Kreitner’s provocative 400-year history of America, Break It Up: Secession, Division, and the Secret History of America’s Imperfect Union, he argues that the nation’s foundations have always been fragile. The threat of disunion has been raised or attempted in every region and by all political factions at some point in our nation’s past. If we ignore this “hidden thread” in our history and choose to believe in a mythic past when unity actually existed, we make disunion more likely, not less. To build a truly equal and lasting multiracial democracy, he argues, we must stop papering over the constant threat of disunion that haunts our past.

An OPED

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/commentary/america-divided-split-different-nations-20200918.html

George Washington once wrote, “The establishment of our new Government seemed to be the last great experiment for promoting human happiness.” Judging by the state of our country today, I wonder if Mr. Washington would like to rephrase that.

The country has gone through many periods of strife in my time here: assassinations, recessions, desegregation, inflation, gas crisis, Watergate, hanging chads, the AIDS crisis, 9/11. Maybe it’s the 24-hour news cycle or the immediacy of social media that makes the landscape seem so bleak, but I don’t recall us ever being so divided.

No one in our country seems happy today. The right is angry. The left is despondent. Our nation reminds me of those married couples who try to stay together for “the children” but end up making everyone around them miserable.

Maybe it’s time for a breakup. Yes, I know a few Southern states tried this before and it did not turn out too well. I am thinking about something a little less bloody — like Brexit.

America had a nice run. We won two world wars, gave the world the automobile, nuclear power, the internet, and put men on the moon. But now it just may be time to admit that our country has jumped the shark.

We used to be the beacon of freedom for the world. Now we are the ones with children in cages, paramilitary on the streets of our cities, and being monitored by Amnesty International. We used to oversee other country’s elections. Now they want to monitor ours. We used to be the place people ran to for safety. Now we are the pariahs of the world, our passports unable to take us almost anywhere.

Honestly, would breaking up the United States really be such a bad thing? California could stand alone. They are already the fifth-largest economy in the world. So could Texas, Florida, and New York. We have seen as the federal coronavirus response failed, states already breaking out into groups for survival. That could be the beginning of something that finally makes us happy.

Our current situation leaves us with a feeling of futility as the ground constantly changes beneath our feet. George W. Bush did not like the Kyoto Protocol and pulled us out. Barack Obama believes in climate change and supported the Paris Accord. Donald Trump does not and pulls us out. Joe Biden will make us reverse course and support it again. The next Republican will most likely pull us back out again. Is this any way to run a government?

And people are just so frustrated. An August NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finds that 70% of Americans are angry at a political system that is just not working for them. Dissatisfaction with the government may be something we can all agree on, but that seems like the only thing. Some believe we are in the middle of a worldwide pandemic, while others think it’s a hoax. There are some who want kids to go back to school in the middle of all this, while others don’t. Some deplore the tearing down of statues and decry the Black Lives Matter effort, while others rejoice in it. Yes, there have always been differences among us but in the ages of QAnon, the Deep State, and other such conspiracy theories, the rift seems insurmountable.

If we broke up into different countries, then perhaps folks could finally find the answers they have been looking for.

Don’t want to have to go to Starbucks without the comfort of your AR-15?

We have a country for that.

Want to have a gun-free environment where your children can go to school without bullet-resistant backpacks?

Yeah, we could have a country for that too.

Just think about it, America. I know breaking up is hard to do. We used to be good together. But what is the point of having the “greatest country in the world” if none of us actually like it?

Chuck Bonfig is a small business owner and freelance photographer. He lives in Havertown.

19 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I got this idea from a comment @Moiraine made in another thread.  She mentioned that the USA may be like Russia by 2050

A casual google search will reveal many articles, OPEDs and interviews on the subject.   I grabbed a few below.  The politics of the past 20 years have

fed this idea.  Partisans on the right and on the left talk past and over each other, hatred is more abundant than consideration and understanding.

So, I thought I'd start a threat and poll on the topic.   Even if you don't think the USA will break up or should break up, you might comment

on how you think it could be broken up if it actually came to that.  I think most of us in our hearts hope nothing like that would occur and that

we will rise up to be our better angel and learn to live together in peace and harmony (sound like a 1960s Coke commercial or was it Pepsi? I digress)

Someone once gave this word of wisdom:" How you leave one place is how you enter another."  In other words how we leave a relationship, a job,

and even a country is how we enter into the next - we take our baggage with us. The encouragement was to deal with stuff now - take care of the

baggage so it isn't dogging you forever.  Well, maybe us Americans need to do some hard 'self love' and deal with our baggage so that we can move

on.  Running away with our baggage following will never solve anything ultimately.  

So here in one article discussing it

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/political-confessional-the-man-who-thinks-the-u-s-is-better-off-as-a-bunch-of-separate-countries/

PolticalConfessions-0730-4x3.png?w=575

Divide into Blue states and Red states says this writer.  He says the Blue states would be economically stronger.

https://medium.com/@kyle.i.chan/how-to-divide-the-united-states-into-two-countries-f388903876b

https://newrepublic.com/article/159172/united-states-break-up

9780316510608.jpg?1587585921

An OPED

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/commentary/america-divided-split-different-nations-20200918.html

I posted a map a couple days ago but it would require Canada to absorb the blue states. 

The problem with the premise of this is that no state is just red or just blue. We're a purple country. There are millions of Republicans in California and there are millions of Democrats in Texas. And there are more Independents than either party, and that number is growing every election cycle.

ceMGhun.png

And here's a link to a great visualization from the 2016 election. It's been posted here before, but it's worth reposting. It's a great way to look at where people actually live in this country.

https://vanderbei.princeton.edu/WebGL/Election2016_white.html

• Plus1 5

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The problem with the premise of this is that no state is just red or just blue. We're a purple country. There are millions of Republicans in California and there are millions of Democrats in Texas. And there are more Independents than either party, and that number is growing every election cycle.

So true.  We are a melting pot of diverse people scattered throughout.  Kind of like a multi color fabric woven together.  Once you try to separate the colors, you end up ruining the whole fabric.

• Plus1 1