Minnesota- What did we learn?

seaofred92

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

We actually appear to have a fair amount of individual talent on the defensive side of the ball.  It's just going to waste because Chinander is incompetent.

Or maybe it's just talent relative to garbage teams like Minnesota. 

I don't think I can agree here, defense played pretty well. They held Minnesota to 4-13 on third down and 2-4 on fourth downs and had several TFLs. Considering the time of possession and average starting field position, I was very pleased with the defensive performance again. Yes, they failed to get a sack or a turnover but what they did do was keep us in the game. 

I think @seaofred92 did a pretty good job in his summary though I don't necessarily see # 12 & Held/Mills in the same light. I think the coaches are a little too in love with Wandale's big play ability that they fail to accept 3-4 yard gains from Mills/Scott/Johnson as positives. I don't know if that's a Frost, Held or Lubick issue as we continually send Wandale back there and try to slam him into the teeth of the defense, especially in the redzone. Mills rarely loses yards for us but we seem to hesitate in using him over the course of a game. Remove Wandale's 47 yard run today and he rushed seven times for a whopping 2 yards. 

Until our coaches start to play to our strengths and maintain possessions, every game is going to feel like a roller coaster. We can't have 3-and-outs taking 60-90 seconds before asking the defense to go out and save us every time. Add in bad starting field position and we're asking for trouble. Hoping the coaches learn something this week and we come out better next time.

• Plus1 1

Nothing really new.  Just a lot of examples that we are out coached across the board.  We have talent, but this staff is an abject failure at using and/or developing the talent.

I'd let Held go.Our RB room is and will continue to be a joke.  No development at all.  After SEVEN GAMES we finally have a RB with more than 100 yards.....ON THE SEASON.  See ya.

I think our D has improved in spite of scheme. I'd run a 4-3.  Have the DB's play a lot more press in 3rd and long.  Less zone that get's exploited.....If that's scheme based (Chin) I'd let him go as well.

Frost is a losing coach. The worst at NU since I have been alive.  I have no idea when we face the depleted 111th  rush D in the country and it's cold, snowy and icy we decide tp throw.  Dude is just trying to prove his weak a$$ O will work.  News flash.  Without a QB who drops dimes, a home run RB threat, receivers to stretch the field, it won't........Run power with PA. 2 back sets.  Off tackle runs.  Traps and counters.   IMHO, he is in over his head. Can he be a great coach? Sure, but needs some serious mentoring.  And get a legit OC who knows the B1G and/or power football.  

The strength of the OL is straight ahead....Not East/West.....

That swing pass works in practice....Against a D that still has trouble stopping it in games...No wonder your O looks so damn good during the week.  No other DC is giving 12 yard cushions....Iron Sharpens Iron......

Our S&C, well isn't....I heard JoJo's name twice today.  Once was after he  got pancaked by Bell.....We might be AAC strong, but we damn sure are not B1G strong.

Tackling and targeting......Come on man.

Ant other coach not named Frost would be run out of town Dec 19.........

If I was Moos, he'd get some serious ultimatums in the off season.  And a very, very short leash.  That light we see at the end of the tunnel continues to be the train conducted by whatever coach we face next.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

I learned that Scott’s buddy hiring system will be his downfall. He needs to let go of a few guys and hire a couple of top notch coaches otherwise he’s done.

Who is on this staff right now that would be hired.  Not for the same or better position, but hired period........Some have potential, but that's it.  Potential because they really have not accomplished anything yet.

8 minutes ago, lo country said:

Nothing really new.  Just a lot of examples that we are out coached across the board.  We have talent, but this staff is an abject failure at using and/or developing the talent.

I'd let Held go.Our RB room is and will continue to be a joke.  No development at all.  After SEVEN GAMES we finally have a RB with more than 100 yards.....ON THE SEASON.  See ya.

I think our D has improved in spite of scheme. I'd run a 4-3.  Have the DB's play a lot more press in 3rd and long.  Less zone that get's exploited.....If that's scheme based (Chin) I'd let him go as well.

Frost is a losing coach. The worst at NU since I have been alive.  I have no idea when we face the depleted 111th  rush D in the country and it's cold, snowy and icy we decide tp throw.  Dude is just trying to prove his weak a$$ O will work.  News flash.  Without a QB who drops dimes, a home run RB threat, receivers to stretch the field, it won't........Run power with PA. 2 back sets.  Off tackle runs.  Traps and counters.   IMHO, he is in over his head. Can he be a great coach? Sure, but needs some serious mentoring.  And get a legit OC who knows the B1G and/or power football.  

The strength of the OL is straight ahead....Not East/West.....

That swing pass works in practice....Against a D that still has trouble stopping it in games...No wonder your O looks so damn good during the week.  No other DC is giving 12 yard cushions....Iron Sharpens Iron......

Our S&C, well isn't....I heard JoJo's name twice today.  Once was after he  got pancaked by Bell.....We might be AAC strong, but we damn sure are not B1G strong.

Tackling and targeting......Come on man.

Ant other coach not named Frost would be run out of town Dec 19.........

If I was Moos, he'd get some serious ultimatums in the off season.  And a very, very short leash.  That light we see at the end of the tunnel continues to be the train conducted by whatever coach we face next.

Held won't be going anywhere.....for many reasons.  Many of the issues in the RB room have been related to injury.

Moos and Frost communicate often.  It's why Moos made the statement he did last week.  Frost also has the full support of Green.

If there is one coach I could see needing to prove himself most at this point it's Verduzco.  There were pass attempts today to Allen, Robinson and Martin that would have been game changers.

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, CAHusker said:

1.  Out recruiting all other Big10 west teams doesn't seem to mean s#!t.

Question- am I the only one that feels that every team we have played has better?

1. Defensive Ends
  2. Running Backs
  3. Wide Receivers
  4. Quarterback that can string multiple accurate throws

Its exhausting being a Nebraska fan.

In regards to #4. Then if their 1st string guy goes down the 2nd and 3rd string guy comes in and looks like joe Montana vs us 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Held won't be going anywhere.....for many reasons.  Many of the issues in the RB room have been related to injury.

Moos and Frost communicate often.  It's why Moos made the statement he did last week.  Frost also has the full support of Green.

If there is one coach I could see needing to prove himself most at this point it's Verduzco.  There were pass attempts today to Allen, Robinson and Martin that would have been game changers.

I will take what you are drinking.  We must be watching a completely different team.  What do you think Moos is going to say publicly.  I screwed the pooch giving frost two more years....

We've had 3 years of RB injuries.....

Green might support him, but there's millions of reasons that could change.  Money talks and I am pretty sure that major deep pocket donors are not to pleased that we are officially the worst team in the B1G...

I agree on Verduzco. Dude would have been gone last year.  He is no bueno....

If you can't see we have some major issues across the board, I have nothing for you.

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, TheSker said:

So Thompkins, Morrison, Scott, Johnson and Mills are or have been injured?  Basically the whole room. Not buying it.  Johnson didn’t look injured today.  He looked undeveloped.  Same with Scott.  Granted, they hardly get any game touches so there’s that.   But pretty much every running back on every team we’ve faced looks head and shoulders better than our entire room, with the possible exception of a 100% Mills. It’s on the coaches for either not playing them and thus allowing them to develop or just not developing them adequately in the first place.   Inexcusable.  Especially at Nebraska.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I have learned that I will be watching my home town Univ of Tulsa team play Cinci for A CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP next week.  Since when have we associated NU wt a Conf Championship - 1999!  We are as far a way from it figuratively and literally as we've ever been.  We are in 1950s territory. Forget dreaming of the 1990s - the 1950s are our current reality. 

I never expected this kind of bone headed coaching from Frost - start the game, going into a stiff wind wt  a freaking play like that.  Let Mills run  a few times and then go quiet.   No passion on the team.   As I mentioned before, the Big 10 does not need to adjust to us, but Frost very quickly needs to the Big 10 otherwise his time is limited.  It seems that Pride really does come before a fall.  We are falling baby and fast.  No more wise cracks about why is Rutgers or Maryland in the Big 10- we are right there with them.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1