I have never felt worse about Nebraska football

3 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I think we can quit blaming Riley and any other former coach for the teams current issues.  It is year 3 in this "turn around" and we have done nothing but get worse.  

This is absolutely true. I supported replacing Riley as much or more than anyone, and I stand by that. We were Charmin soft all over the field, and that wasn't changing under Riley. 

But Frost has dug his own hole here, made his own numerous mistakes, and Riley has nothing to do with it. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, krc1995 said:

We sure whine about everything. Everything is some grand scheme against us. 

and what has Frost ever won that he didn’t whine to the media first? 

and if you ask villains if they’re the villain, they say no, they’re the victim. 

Certainly some truth to this. 

I generally just watch the games and avoid the game threads. The announcers and analysts never bother me and whatever blown calls the refs make, they never seem one-sided or excuse the team's performance a bit.

Then  I check in on HuskerBoard and learn that the rest of the world wants to s#!t on Nebraska for reasons that make no sense. 

Even calling Nebraska the "villain" exaggerates our influence. Nobody is afraid of us. We're not the victim, either. We fought for the right to play football this year and a lot of people appreciated it on behalf of the sport. It wasn't really surprising that we didn't compete for the division. We weren't expected to. 

When Nebraska starts winning again, we'll be a good story. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, krc1995 said:

You’re being extremely judgmental. Just because we’re posting on here doesn’t mean any part of our lives are ruined. 

My intent wasn’t to be judgmental. I was just offering advice and support, from someone who has been there, done that, to others who may be struggling. It really is an addiction and it can be tough to get to where I’ve finally gotten to. If I’m judging anyone it’s myself.

18 hours ago, ndobney said:

3 words triple option

Do you know what's harder than finding a quarterback who can hit open receivers? 

Finding a quarterback, multiple running backs and an offensive line than can successfully execute the triple-option, an offense that's probably a lot more precision and high-risk than you remember. 

Fun fact:  "triple option" is two words. 

• Haha 3

I feel bad that one of my sons is a huge fan, but has only ever known crappy play from Nebraska.  My other son is more of an Iowa State fan who have done more with less.

I think replacing RIley was the right thing to do.  Frost seemed like a no brainer, but he seems unwilling to adjust his scheme or staff for the Big 10 style of play.  I thought he'd be more flexible.  I still think a coach can be at least on the Pelini or Solich type level here.  If it can be done at places like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Iowa State who have less talent than it can be done here.  We just need better coaches that can develop talent.  If Scott can't get it done by year 5, then we don't need a splash hire, just someone that can develop talent and adopt better to things. 

12 hours ago, Nobody said:

this argument doesn't work when UCF couldn't win a flippin game before scott got there

In fairness, UCF had established a pretty solid program well before Frost. George O'Leary had 7 bowl games and 6 division or conference championships between 2005 and 2015. UCF was 12-1 in in 2013 and 9-4 in 2014 before the winless season that brought Frost to the program.

8 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I think we can quit blaming Riley and any other former coach for the teams current issues.  It is year 3 in this "turn around" and we have done nothing but get worse.  

Certainly there were some residual issues and problems caused by the 3 prior regimes that have made it a harder nut to crack but, make no mistake, this is Frost’s baby now and there is no longer room for excuses or blaming prior coaches. This was the year to begin seeing results and so far what we’ve seen is some of the old problems getting better but with a whole slew of new problems that can only be attributed to the new regime. IMO next season will be the do or die benchmark moment to determine if Frost will actually be the savior or just the next in what is getting to be a long line of failed attempts to turn this thing around. Considering what we witnessed this season, I don’t have much hope. It will take some significant off season moves, changes and acknowledgements to cause me to think Scott will be the one.

15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

My intent wasn’t to be judgmental. I was just offering advice and support, from someone who has been there, done that, to others who may be struggling. It really is an addiction and it can be tough to get to where I’ve finally gotten to. If I’m judging anyone it’s myself.

But winning sure was fun. I think my quality of life was better when I put too much thought into tough but well played losses. I miss looking forward to something. We all need distractions from life. 

So yesterday I decided to put my love on the Chiefs. And look what I’m doing to them. 

12 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I feel bad that one of my sons that is a huge fan, but has only ever known crappy play from Nebraska.  My other son is more of an Iowa State fan who have done more with less.

I think replacing RIley was the right thing to do.  Frost seemed like a no brainer, but he seems unwilling to adjust his scheme or staff for the Big 10 style of play.  I thought he'd be more flexible.  I still think a coach can be at least on the Pelini or Solich type level here.  If it can be done at places like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Iowa State who have less talent than it can be done here.  We just need better coaches that can develop talent.  If Scott can't get it done by year 5, then we don't need a splash hire, just someone that can develop talent and adopt better to things. 

I am so with you. It’s hard to pass this love on. It never feels good. Its seldom anything to be proud of. 

He screwed up out of the gate, 

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Certainly there were some residual issues and problems caused by the 3 prior regimes that have made it a harder nut to crack but, make no mistake, this is Frost’s baby now and there is no longer room for excuses or blaming prior coaches. This was the year to begin seeing results and so far what we’ve seen is some of the old problems getting better but with a whole slew of new problems that can only be attributed to the new regime. IMO next season will be the do or die benchmark moment to determine if Frost will actually be the savior or just the next in what is getting to be a long line of failed attempts to turn this thing around. Considering what we witnessed this season, I don’t have much hope. It will take some significant off season moves, changes and acknowledgements to cause me to think Scott will be the one.

I think he blew it the first year. I have a feeling that a former Oregon coach who felt disrespected by his alma mater replacing a former OSU coach didn’t mix well, on top of his lack of experience being the big man at a big boy program that lacked identity and oozed entitlement. I do believe he knows *what* to do, but I am

uncertain if he knows *how* to do it in a timely fashion because the results on the field are too inconsistent. Attitude and effort should not be an issue and like you said, from the first series you could see how slow and uninspiring they were. 

3 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I feel bad that one of my sons is a huge fan, but has only ever known crappy play from Nebraska.  My other son is more of an Iowa State fan who have done more with less.

I wouldn't trade this program for Iowa State but I'd certainly love if Nebraska was a team that did more with less right now, occasionally pulling off a huge upset, than a team that consistently does less with more.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I wouldn't trade this program for Iowa State but I'd certainly love if Nebraska was a team that did more with less right now, occasionally pulling off a huge upset, than a team that consistently does less with more.

I agree with you.  I would rather have a coach that can maximize performance from his players (like Pat Fitzgerald has done often with just average talent) than a coach that can bring in big names but struggles to use the talent to their potential.  Neither Riley or Frost have done a great job of getting their talent in the best position to win games.  Pelini had decent talent but seemed to get the most out of them.  

Good coaches are willing to throw away everything they think they know about the game and re-assess what styles and approach match the strengths of their current players.  I was hoping Frost would have realized his approach is not working in the BIG but he has been pretty unwilling to change through the first 3 years.  Let's hope year 4 shows some changes across the board.