Are we a G6 Program with P5 facilities and entitlement?

TGHusker

G6 or P5?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We aren’t winning games, and it looks bad. We aren’t a good college football team...right now. 

but I truly believe by next year and especially 2022 we will be doing things that are  in your poll. 

all good things take time. 
It’s been a weird last 2 yrs with lightning storms, attrition  and Wuhan. 

we aren’t good. I recognize that. But I really do think all the Fr and redshirts that are playing right now will blossom. 

“does a stem look pretty when it sprouts? Nay, but when the petals bloom and become a flower, people stop and wonder and watch. Not knowing the growth and strength to push though the soil it took, only admiring the final flower.” 

I’m down for the journey. 

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Not sold on the offensive mind. If you are running an offense your qb cant run then you arent an offensive mind.

Also, all the great coaches worry about not doing things that lose the game before winning it. Frost missed this.

He didn't forget football. He may make some poor decisions but his scheme is sound and people are open 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

If Scott is stressed or tries to do to much, it's No brainer you get p5 staff. Only one new coach. So who do we get rid of. I think the defense has shown improvement so I don't want to get rid of chins yet.

Austin and Verdu are the obvious ones to me. Neither have Power 5 experience aside from working under Frost. I'd go after power 5 guys with a track record in those spots. I think if we had voices in the room that can draw on past experience in big boy football, it would really help Frost. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I’ve never understood the whole entitlement thing. How can expecting the program to perform better and wanting it to more closely resemble what it was in the 90s, 80s, 70s be detrimental? These entitlement claims pertain to the fan base and the fans don’t have much to do with what’s happening in the field. The alternate to these entitlement claims surely won’t produce any improvements on the field. There are plenty of bottom dweller programs that have accepted that as their fate and I can only imagine that would make it that much tougher to become a winning program. Besides that, I don’t think it is entitlement but rather a reasonable expectation based on the facilities and expenditures. There is absolutely no reason we should be satisfied with what this program has accomplished over the past 20 years. It is so far out of whack with the money and effort expended it’s almost comical at this point.

I agree with the last 3 sentences. We have poured financial and emotional capital into the program with little to show for it. Perhaps the blame is on the top admin people as poor managers of the program 

Frost and his cohorts are miracle workers in a G5 weak conference and will spend the rest of their careers coaching at G5 schools.  Frost brought his under-qualified assistants with him because he himself is also under-qualified for a Power 5 HC job.  A jock's mindset always places themselves as 'the best' even if the reality is clearly contrary, that is what makes them jocks.  Power 5 HC jobs do not just require you to be life-long jock, but to also have brains. 

In an alternate reality, a qualified Scott Frost would look his UCF assistants in the eye like a man and straight-up tell them that they just are not qualified for the assistant jobs at the power 5 level and that they will all find jobs and careers at the G5 level with his outstanding recommendation.  Then that alternate reality qualified Scott Frost would then go on a national search for highly rated, up and coming power 5 level assistants across the pros (which he had extensive history with) and college (which he also had extensive history with) landscapes.  This was suppose to happen but instead we got Riley 2.0. 

Anyone who thinks Chin is 'qualified' needs to remember the following:  We always give up just enough points to lose (except for Penn State, which was a glitch in the Husker Matrix).  If our offense sucks (which it does) then it is up to Chin to make-up the difference and get us the win. 

• Thanks 2
13 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Hes had 1 winning season 5 as a coach, there is a lot more evidence that says he may not be able to head coach football

Im not agreeing or disagreeing with that statement I am specifically talking about his play calling ability and offensive scheme in general. I do think he can get too cute but I cannot count on my hands and toes the number of times wide open receivers have been missed each game this year. I really think we need a QB who can distribute. I know it gets repeated far too often but we need a QB who is an athlete and not an athlete that is a QB. Adrian and Luke we know are athletes who play QB. Smothers we do not know yet. Based on film he may be the one most likely to fall into the QB who is an athlete column. We can all agree HH coming in next year is an athlete who plays QB. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Bledred said:

Frost and his cohorts are miracle workers in a G5 weak conference and will spend the rest of their careers coaching at G5 schools.  Frost brought his under-qualified assistants with him because he himself is also under-qualified for a Power 5 HC job.  A jock's mindset always places themselves as 'the best' even if the reality is clearly contrary, that is what makes them jocks.  Power 5 HC jobs do not just require you to be life-long jock, but to also have brains. 

In an alternate reality, a qualified Scott Frost would look his UCF assistants in the eye like a man and straight-up tell them that they just are not qualified for the assistant jobs at the power 5 level and that they will all find jobs and careers at the G5 level with his outstanding recommendation.  Then that alternate reality qualified Scott Frost would then go on a national search for highly rated, up and coming power 5 level assistants across the pros (which he had extensive history with) and college (which he also had extensive history with) landscapes.  This was suppose to happen but instead we got Riley 2.0. 

Anyone who thinks Chin is 'qualified' needs to remember the following:  We always give up just enough points to lose (except for Penn State, which was a glitch in the Husker Matrix).  If our offense sucks (which it does) then it is up to Chin to make-up the difference and get us the win. 

This is where I am at. Frost needs to make major changes across the board. Go spend the money on a DC who has prior HC experience if possible. Go snag an experienced OL coach, QB coach etc. We honestly have a fantastic coach in a support role on our staff in Brown and he would be an upgrade in my opinion as he recruited very well and more importantly developed exceptionally well. I first thought Held was going to be a stud but have we seen anything at all out of our RB room that says upper echelon of college football? I like a few of our D assistant coaches but still believe we need to shake it up a bit on this side as well. 

Morning Everyone.. It's been a hard weekend to swallow for all of us I'm sure.

There remains so much animosity around the program right now from the fans and I fully understand it. That said however, the players are staying focused on the task at hand. Everyone here knows we are 2 years away from seeing what Frostie's potential can be. Everyone here can see the differences in athletes before Frost and current. Everyone (myself included) is aching desperately for immediate results and frankly, obviously, it's not going to happen. I'm not one that believes a staff turnover is necessary. Yes, I think a new O-line coach is needed and maybe a new RB coach. (Though Held is a recruiting machine) The doubt I have in Held though may simply be the O-Line coaching and not the RB coaching. I like Austin as a front man for the line but I don't think he's a Milt Tenopir or even a McBride (hard nosed) type. I think Held should be given the chance to coach with a new O-Line coach before he's canned. Just my opinion.. Gotta say though, the continued negativity here and on every board and fish wrap within the state is not at all helping. Let us not forget the BEST things in LIFE are worth WAITING for. Lets be a little more patient and more positive.

3 hours ago, Bledred said:

I agree with this -  with all of Scott's contacts in the Pros and in the college world, he could have shopped around and brought in a top flight group.  He could let them coach, train and develop and even call plays while he managed the program as a CEO.  I don't know if he felt threatened by having experienced guys here (that is what many felt about Bo)

or if he thought his success at UCF would be an automatic here - and that his assistant coaches could deliver the same product.  I'm thinking the later - over the top arrogance due to his 13-0 season.  Remember he said the Big 10 would have to adjust to him and his style of play. The big 10 is laughing there way up to the top of the standings while we sink.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Bledred said:

The Frost offense we were promised would not consider 21, 26, and 24 points enough to lose. If Frost made any indication that this was supposed to be a balanced football team maybe, but he's been clear for day one we want to dominate offensively and the defenses job is to get some turnovers. The defense has been good enough in every game outside of OSU and Illinois, and in both of those games the offense sucked too.

I just don't get your logic - wouldn't it also follow that if the defense sucks (or, in this case, is mediocre) the offense and Frost need to pick up the slack? Why does the buck stop with the defense when it's an offensive minded head coach who has made it clear the offense should be our calling card?

FWIW, I'm all in on Frost. But I don't understand the view that firing Chins fixes anything here. We averaged 4.7 yards per play against a defense that was allowing 7.7. The least they'd allowed was 5.4. The defense has not been the problem this year - they could have covered for more of the offensive issues if we had a pass rush, but they have been good enough to win most of our losses. 

• Plus1 1

I get we're mad this season didn't turn out well, but talking about firing staff is absolutely asinine. What this program needs more than anything is continuity. Aside from receivers *every other* position group has improved from a talent and development standpoint from where it was under Riley. Barring a disaster against Rutgers, we are going to finish as a top-35 team in SP+ -- we were in the 50s last two years and the 70s when Frost took over.

Losing sucks and being patient is hard. But this team is still very young. The schemes are working and people are improving. We just need these sophomores and redshirt freshmen to turn into seniors and juniors. Firing coaches only sets that back.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I get we're mad this season didn't turn out well, but talking about firing staff is absolutely asinine. What this program needs more than anything is continuity. Aside from receivers *every other* position group has improved from a talent and development standpoint from where it was under Riley. Barring a disaster against Rutgers, we are going to finish as a top-35 team in SP+ -- we were in the 50s last two years and the 70s when Frost took over.

Losing sucks and being patient is hard. But this team is still very young. The schemes are working and people are improving. We just need these sophomores and redshirt freshmen to turn into seniors and juniors. Firing coaches only sets that back.

Totally agree. By performance the coaches I'd be looking at would be OC, QB, WR, and RB. The OC is Frost, he is obviously sticking around. And every time I rewatch a game, I like how it's been called more - guys just need to get it done. Lubick just got here, and I think we've seen slow improvement from the receivers this year. I think QB was a smaller part of the problem overall this year than people claim, although against Minnesota missing those throws was solely on the QB. I still don't see enough to can Verduzco just to bring in another QB whisperer though. And for RB, Held didn't have anyone healthy and teaching freshman RBs to pass block counts as time in Purgatory. Barring another mass exodus, we're going to have a lot of guys ready to take their experience into Spring and Fall camp and be much better players for it moving forward.