Former NU O-Line Coach John Garrison

Loebarth

Just curious I guess and well.. decided a thread just as well begin. As I've stated in previous posts, I'm not at all happy with our O-Line performance and frankly haven't been for quite some time. I went back to the books to see how the offensive stats under Bo compared and it's glaringly better. John Garrison (a former NU grad) was our O-Line coach and players played hard for him and he wasn't afraid to coach hard. There's multiple links about him my favorite is probably this NU Line Shows steady Progress and frankly, I'm wondering if he may be coerced into returning. Currently at NC State (7-3) with wins over a couple decent programs and yes, NC State actually runs the ball well. Thoughts?

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Actually if you want the best OL coach that used to coach here get this guy!

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/coaches-roster/bill-callahan

Of course I joke, but he is credited with being the reason the Browns have improved this year.  It shows the difference a good OL makes in a teams improvment.

No way in hell he comes back to college (let alone here), but he is one of the most respected OL coaches of his generation. Terrible fit as a head coach, catastrophic fit as a college head coach. But the dude can coach the OL, and I give him credit settling into his role and just being great at what he can be great at. That being said, I still could not stomach seeing his face on the sideline even if it could happen.

• Plus1 4

21 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

No way in hell he comes back to college (let alone here), but he is one of the most respected OL coaches of his generation. Terrible fit as a head coach, catastrophic fit as a college head coach. But the dude can coach the OL, and I give him credit settling into his role and just being great at what he can be great at. That being said, I still could not stomach seeing his face on the sideline even if it could happen.

I hope you knew I was joking...

But one point I was making is the difference a good OL makes.  Good OL's cover up a lot of weaknesses.

Just now, Crusader Husker said:

I hope you knew I was joking...

But one point I was making is the difference a good OL makes.  Good OL's cover up a lot of weaknesses.

Oh I did, I also just took way too much space commenting on a joke suggestion. But I do think a lot of Nebraska fans want to believe Callahan is a complete buffoon, and when it comes to the OL there aren't a lot better. Personally I'm fine continuing to ride with Austin. I think the fanbase underestimated the growing pains of throwing two redshirt freshman out on the OL. Add Farniok who just doesn't have the quickness and a center who occasionally forgets how to snap, and no one was turning that into an elite offensive line this year. 

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Personally I'm fine continuing to ride with Austin. I think the fanbase underestimated the growing pains of throwing two redshirt freshman out on the OL. Add Farniok who just doesn't have the quickness and a center who occasionally forgets how to snap, and no one was turning that into an elite offensive line this year. 

Not saying your wrong about Austin.. I am a novice fan. Yes I understand the game, I know (through commentary) the difference of different defenses and the importance of say a Left Tackle or Center's ability to read defenses and make line of scrimmage calls. Still, I'm a novice that knows very little about technique or what technically is required on a RPO vs a 3 hole dive.. What I think I know is the lack of improvement. This was Austin's 3rd year here. Frost made a hard call and replaced the o-cordinator last year and it seems we've actually recessed in our production. Meanwhile and surprisingly, the defense has played reasonably well. Has shown improvements in all three groups. Hence the reason I think an "offensive" change is needed and I think you evaluate, discuss, measure and decide. The frustrating thing for me is, though we've seen improvement across the defense but not in any of the offensive groups (line, backs, qb, receivers). So, it's either scheme or coaching.. both are correctable but both will require courage. If its a lack of coaching, replace.. if its an inadequate scheme, change and God help if its both. (don't want to even consider both)

2 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Not saying your wrong about Austin.. I am a novice fan. Yes I understand the game, I know (through commentary) the difference of different defenses and the importance of say a Left Tackle or Center's ability to read defenses and make line of scrimmage calls. Still, I'm a novice that knows very little about technique or what technically is required on a RPO vs a 3 hole dive.. What I think I know is the lack of improvement. This was Austin's 3rd year here. Frost made a hard call and replaced the o-cordinator last year and it seems we've actually recessed in our production. Meanwhile and surprisingly, the defense has played reasonably well. Has shown improvements in all three groups. Hence the reason I think an "offensive" change is needed and I think you evaluate, discuss, measure and decide. The frustrating thing for me is, though we've seen improvement across the defense but not in any of the offensive groups (line, backs, qb, receivers). So, it's either scheme or coaching.. both are correctable but both will require courage. If its a lack of coaching, replace.. if its an inadequate scheme, change and God help if its both. (don't want to even consider both)

The only part I'm on the fence with is the bolded. I agree as a whole, the offense has not improved and has actually gotten worse. But I think a lot of that has to do with the gaps left when players transferred out the first couple years - moves I and many other fans took as a good sign for the "culture," but moves that absolutely left holes. The guys stepping into the OL this year should've been 3rd and 4th year players, not redshirt freshmen. Same for the backs and receivers - without guys like Spielman, Lindsey, and Washington sticking around we're playing a roster in year 3 that looks like a roster in year 1. Maybe we'll be better for it in the long run.

But for me, this is a case of the increased knowledge of the scheme/culture/whatever just not outweighing replacing guys like Morgan, Spielman, Ozigbo, and heck Tanner Farmer with redshirt and true freshmen the past 2 years. The jucos that were supposed to fill in didn't, and individual guys who could have been difference makers. I really believe this offense is light years different with a couple different player choices. If Washington figured his stuff out, our RB situation is way different. OR, if the staff decides he's not worth the risk and we sign somebody else, our RB situation is different. Same with OL - if Bland got here, or if we decided not to risk that and signed another guy, there's another more developed lineman available. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that though. 

• Plus1 1

I don't know that replacing Austin is the answer here. Austin was given the title of run game coordinator last year and we run less with our RBs than before. When our QBs are running more than our runningbacks, it's an issue. Same for trying to throw the ball into the wind when the defense drops eight back in coverage. I don't think he'd be calling for less running plays so the calls are coming from above his head.

Yes, there is an obvious need for development with the linemen but we also need to start playing to their strengths consistently if we want to be successful. 

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

The only part I'm on the fence with is the bolded. I agree as a whole, the offense has not improved and has actually gotten worse. But I think a lot of that has to do with the gaps left when players transferred out the first couple years - moves I and many other fans took as a good sign for the "culture," but moves that absolutely left holes. The guys stepping into the OL this year should've been 3rd and 4th year players, not redshirt freshmen. Same for the backs and receivers - without guys like Spielman, Lindsey, and Washington sticking around we're playing a roster in year 3 that looks like a roster in year 1. Maybe we'll be better for it in the long run.

But for me, this is a case of the increased knowledge of the scheme/culture/whatever just not outweighing replacing guys like Morgan, Spielman, Ozigbo, and heck Tanner Farmer with redshirt and true freshmen the past 2 years. The jucos that were supposed to fill in didn't, and individual guys who could have been difference makers. I really believe this offense is light years different with a couple different player choices. If Washington figured his stuff out, our RB situation is way different. OR, if the staff decides he's not worth the risk and we sign somebody else, our RB situation is different. Same with OL - if Bland got here, or if we decided not to risk that and signed another guy, there's another more developed lineman available. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that though. 

You state "for you the increased knowledge of the scheme/culture/whatever.... Am I wrong in my thinking? Can anyone more knowledgeable then me on O-Line techniques say with reasonable certainty that our line technique is improved? Yes were young but still, why are pulling guards/tackles not getting to their blocks. Why is our line giving up so many tackles for loss in our backfield by opposing lb's? This is where I scratch my head. It seems our o-line is not moving the line of scrimmage like they should surely that can't just be a youth thing. Or.. is it and my ignorance is really showing?

BC might be a heck of an OL coach in the NFL, but that doesn't mean he would be in college.  I seem to remember Zac Taylor getting pummeled on nearly every drop back pass.  In the NFL, there really isn't a lot of development left to be had.  Once you are at that level, you pretty much have technique down to a science.  College is different.  You are taking guys all over the spectrum in terms of where they are at technique wise.  One of BC's biggest downfalls here was he couldn't develop talent.  He was pretty good at recruiting it, but not so good at development.  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

You state "for you the increased knowledge of the scheme/culture/whatever.... Am I wrong in my thinking? Can anyone more knowledgeable then me on O-Line techniques say with reasonable certainty that our line technique is improved? Yes were young but still, why are pulling guards/tackles not getting to their blocks. Why is our line giving up so many tackles for loss in our backfield by opposing lb's? This is where I scratch my head. It seems our o-line is not moving the line of scrimmage like they should surely that can't just be a youth thing. Or.. is it and my ignorance is really showing?

I'm no more of an expert on OL play than you, so I don't know for sure that it has improved. I'm just still willing to buy the argument that the regression is due to replacing experienced guys with super young ones. In a perfect world, we're replacing our seniors with 3rd year sophomores or juniors. An exception or two is fine, but when you've got 2 freshman starters and a sophomore who has had 0 full, healthy camps at OL it's not going to be pretty. Assuming Jurgens/Benhart/Piper keep developing though, the next wave appears to have more depth. 

• Plus1 1