Former NU O-Line Coach John Garrison

Loebarth

15 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Yes, yes and yes on Garrison as OL coach here.  Hell, at this point I would bring coach cav back.  Would probably still be an upgrade. 

Cav is awaiting this Covid thing to go away so he can fulfill his life long aspiration of being a carnival Tilt A Whirl operator while stuffing his face with all the unlimited Deep Fat Fried Food on a Stick that he can shove into his Oregon State issued cargo shorts

• Haha 3
21 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Yes, yes and yes on Garrison as OL coach here.  Hell, at this point I would bring coach cav back.  Would probably still be an upgrade. 

Just asking... Am I reading into your posts that it is your opinion that Garrison is a better developer of talent or a better strategist? Both maybe and if so, how?

6 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Just asking... Am I reading into your posts that it is your opinion that Garrison is a better developer of talent or a better strategist? Both maybe and if so, how?

Well Alex Lewis, Qvale, Sirles, Spencer Long, Slausson, and Sterup all got cups of coffee in the League.  Ameer rushed for over 3000 yards behind his lines.  Ranked 23rd in sacks allowed at 1.3 in 2014.  All four years he was here coaching the line in some capacity the team finished in the Top 20 nationally in rushing.

Went to UNLV with Barney and turned around their running game leading to ranking 36th and and 15th after being utter crap prior. Also his line set the school record for fewest sacks allowed in a season.   Went to FAU for a year, and with a line returning 2 starters ended up 14th in rush yards a game and also 14th nationally in sacks allowed at a little over one a game.  Now is at NC State and has coached a freshman All American.

Oh, and he could out recruit Austin in his sleep.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Well Alex Lewis, Qvale, Sirles, Spencer Long, Slausson, and Sterup all got cups of coffee in the League.  Ameer rushed for over 3000 yards behind his lines.  Ranked 23rd in sacks allowed at 1.3 in 2014.  All four years he was here coaching the line in some capacity the team finished in the Top 20 nationally in rushing.

Went to UNLV with Barney and turned around their running game leading to ranking 36th and and 15th after being utter crap prior. Also his line set the school record for fewest sacks allowed in a season.   Went to FAU for a year, and with a line returning 2 starters ended up 14th in rush yards a game and also 14th nationally in sacks allowed at a little over one a game.  Now is at NC State and has coached a freshman All American.

Oh, and he could out recruit Austin in his sleep.

SMH.. why Scottie WHY? :facepalm::cry:HotTake:

1 minute ago, Loebarth said:

SMH.. why Scottie WHY? :facepalm::cry:HotTake:

Eh he's been married to Austin since UCF, bigger question was how on earth RIley thought Cav was a better option vs a guy that knew the program, state, the opponents and with recruiting connections in the surrounding states

NU hasn't sniffed s#!t in Missouri in recruiting since Garrison was here

• Plus1 1

I have been on the board long enough to remember that people complained about our terrible O-line under Bo as well...and Barney was the coach.

Garrison was an asst for 1 year, and Oline coach for 1 year. So doesn't most of that grass is greener success belong to Barney (who was viewed as terrible on this board)?

Round and round we go!

20 minutes ago, macroboy said:

I have been on the board long enough to remember that people complained about our terrible O-line under Bo as well...and Barney was the coach.

Garrison was an asst for 1 year, and Oline coach for 1 year. So doesn't most of that grass is greener success belong to Barney (who was viewed as terrible on this board)?

Round and round we go!

Garrison coached the tackles and TEs for two years, and then was moved to the entire line in 2013 when Barney moved to Associate HC and TEs.  

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

And those were years where we accomplished jack squat also. Doesn’t seem to be much of a magic bullet. If we’re going to upgrade then we should UPGRADE. What’s Tenopir doing? :D

Lord knows how we would classify the last three years if in those years jack squat was accomplished.  

Garrison is an UPGRADE vs what NU currently has

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

And those were years where we accomplished jack squat also. Doesn’t seem to be much of a magic bullet. If we’re going to upgrade then we should UPGRADE. What’s Tenopir doing? :D

They did jack squats back then?

Front squats = Riley (19-19)

Back squats = Frost (11-20 so far)

Jack squats = magic bullet

By God you've done it! You've cracked the code!

tenor.gif?itemid=19353709

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, PaulCrewe said:

Lord knows how we would classify the last three years if in those years jack squat was accomplished.  

Garrison is an UPGRADE vs what NU currently has

I won’t argue that...even though I have no idea other than the stats you posted. Based on what I’ve seen from our recent O lines, it sure couldn’t be a downgrade. My comment was solely predicated on the idea that there isn’t much from the last 20 years in this program worth striving to replicate.