Do We Have the Talent We Need?

Mavric

27 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

OK, then what about Smothers?  Are we just completely screwed for the next several years because of the QB position?  

woulda loved to see him on the field to see what we have but my guess is AM and Luke are simply much further ahead than him practice wise.  Perhaps a standard off season and fall camp might have made smothers a possibility given the piss poor play at QB but im sure Frosty and co viewed that as more of a risk than reward pay out.... specially behind a line that cant snap the damn ball consistently 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Without question we have the requisite talent.  This is the standard over-analysis that takes place after yet another inexplicable loss.  Simple game; block, tackle, and avoid turnovers and penalties.  

Case in point, Northwestern.  A program that encounters a significant barrier to recruiting top-shelf talent given the academic requirements in place in Evanston.  Yet, despite those challenges, Coach Fitzgerald somehow produces a consistent winner each and every year with a reliance on fundamentals.  Just imagine if we possessed this caliber of coaching with the talent we recruit every year.  

Poor culture and complete lack of fundamentals are the persistent issues. 

I once thought our downward cycle was something akin to Oklahoma (90's) or USC (90's - 00's), but I am now beginning to believe we are in a trough similar to Arkansas (post-Broyles).  Arkansas is yet to come out of their 40 year downturn.  

Just now, Born N Bled Red said:

Northwestern, year in and out? Really? Don't get me wrong they've had some good seasons, but "consistent winners," they are not. Fitzy gets fired at Nebraska potentially in 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, and certainly 2019. 

2006 Pat Fitzgerald 4–8 2–6 T–8th      
2007 Pat Fitzgerald 6–6 3–5 T–7th      
2008 Pat Fitzgerald 9–4 5–3 T–4th L Alamo    
2009 Pat Fitzgerald 8–5 5–3 T–4th L Outback    
2010 Pat Fitzgerald 7–6 3–5 T–6th L TicketCity    
2011 Pat Fitzgerald 6–7 3–5 5th (Legends) L Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas    
2012 Pat Fitzgerald 10–3 5–3 3rd (Legends) W Gator 16 17
2013 Pat Fitzgerald 5–7 1–7 6th (Legends)      
2014 Pat Fitzgerald 5–7 3–5 T–5th (West)      
2015 Pat Fitzgerald 10–3 6–2 T–2nd (West) L Outback 22 23
2016 Pat Fitzgerald 7–6 5–4 T–4th (West) W Pinstripe    
2017 Pat Fitzgerald 10–3 7–2 2nd (West) W Music City 17 17
2018 Pat Fitzgerald 9–5 8–1 1st (West) W Holiday 19 21
2019 Pat Fitzgerald 3–9 1–8 7th (West)    

Was literally going to post their yearly W/L, lol.

Granted, their last 6 years look pretty good overall. But the 7 and 3 win years kinda call into question 'consistent winner.' They're a high floor team, and they still went 3-9 last year. He's also had time to recruit and develop a team that matches his vision. I think Frost and co. would make a few different decisions around some the players they brought in early on, and the number of guys who just bailed does say a lot about how different Frost's vision is compared to Riley's. We should be farther along, but it's not like you have to jump through absurd hoops to see reasons for a slower turnaround. 

• Plus1 1

Complimenting an overachieving program (with talent limitations) should not create a sense of defensiveness or inferiority at one of the Top 10 College Football programs in the country.  

I would gladly take 4 bowl appearances and 2 Big Ten Championship appearances in the last 5 years.  We are staring into the abyss right now, 3 wins.  This follows 4 wins, 4 wins, and 5 wins.  

We need to quit fixating on fantasy comparisons to the Ohio State's and Alabama's of the world and take a look in the mirror.

Mr. Fundamental, Pat Fitzgerald, gives us a template from which to build a competitor.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Complimenting an overachieving program (with talent limitations) should not create a sense of defensiveness or inferiority at one of the Top 10 College Football programs in the country.  

I would gladly take 4 bowl appearances and 2 Big Ten Championship appearances in the last 5 years.  We are staring into the abyss right now, 3 wins.  This follows 4 wins, 4 wins, and 5 wins.  

We need to quit fixating on fantasy comparisons to the Ohio State's and Alabama's of the world and take a look in the mirror.

Mr. Fundamental, Pat Fitzgerald, gives us a template from which to build a competitor.  

Eh... I'm not saying you're wrong, but you referred to them as consistent winners. They're not. As much as it pains me to say, Iowa and Wisconsin would much more warrant that description. - Bo Pelini was a consistent winner. 

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Which this state and program will never be happy with. Scott is swinging for the fences. Let him, because in our hearts we know that is the only way our program can be proud of what is on the field. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

If we have the talent, why aren't we winning? Why aren't more players being drafted into the NFL? If the talent is there, both of these things should be happening.

I'm tired of the excuse that the players need to be developed, Frost has been here three years and that development should be evident. Is it though? It doesn't seem to evident with our quarterbacks.

Benhart is a perfect example of this.  He's young and playing tackle in the Big Ten.  That's a tough gig.  On Saturday, his bad play alone blew up a number of plays and directly lead to Martinez's fumble (if I'm remembering the play right).  

He's a guy who has tremendous talent. He's not ready for the NFL so he's not getting drafted and he needs to develop.  I believe he will by the time he leaves.

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Which this state and program will never be happy with. Scott is swinging for the fences. Let him, because in our hearts we know that is the only way our program can be proud of what is on the field. 

Swinging for the fences is exactly what happened and it backfired.  I think it's disingenuous for so many of us to think we would have done it differently.  In hindsight, I bet he would make changes, but that's not how it went down.

As sorry as things are now (it's painful to watch), I still think he needs a few more pieces.

3 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Swinging for the fences is exactly what happened and it backfired.  I think it's disingenuous for so many of us to think we would have done it differently.  In hindsight, I bet he would make changes, but that's not how it went down.

As sorry as things are now (it's painful to watch), I still think he needs a few more pieces.

I'm not sure it has completely backfired.  He is still up to bat but he is sitting on a 1-2 count.  Hopefully 2021 is that hanging curveball but my guess is he needs another foul tip or two to stay alive.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Benhart is a perfect example of this.  He's young and playing tackle in the Big Ten.  That's a tough gig.  On Saturday, his bad play alone blew up a number of plays and directly lead to Martinez's fumble (if I'm remembering the play right).  

He's a guy who has tremendous talent. He's not ready for the NFL so he's not getting drafted and he needs to develop.  I believe he will by the time he leaves.

I'm on the fence on this.  The play was right in his face.  Step up and gain 2 more seconds.  Yeah, the tackle got beat, but he flat out ate it.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We don't have the talent to beat someone like OSU.  We DO have the talent on the team to have three more wins this year if they were more mature and developed.  (Illinois, Iowa and Minnesota)

And Northwestern... we should have won that game imo.

If I could only see the vision, I agree that this fan base would want him to shoot for the stars.  However, Oregon and UCF this is not.

No mistake about it, I think Coach Frost is a good ambassador for Nebraska, and most likely, a good coach at another program.

That said, he started his tenure at Nebraska with a hubris that has failed him.  He suffered from a lack of imagination when he entered this job.  I think he seriously underestimated the league he was entering, the immense task of changing one of the worst losing cultures in FBS (KU may be the worst), and the need to lean on alternative approaches to win games (i.e. kicking game, field position, etc.).  

He looks exhausted and without answers at this stage.

3 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Too soon to dub it a backfire, imo. What he did was focus on bringing in talent. The talent is mostly still in its 1st and 2nd season.  Again, you tell me you have a team of first round draft rookies in the NFL and I'll tell you you are in for a long season, even though they may all be great players, they are young.. That is what we have. A very young team across the board. And it shows. It shows in mistakes, inconsistencies, not being dominate individual battles on the field regularly, etc. It shows in physicality. It shows everywhere. Not fair, imo to say he swung for the fences but then only give him 2 years with those players to dub it failed and ask him to bunt instead. I hope to god he doesn't try to bunt at this point. See it through until 2022. When those boys are seniors and juniors and the fill ins behind them are not missing all over the place, it should start to roll. If it doesn't, sure, we can try to move on being a sac bunt team.

7 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I'm on the fence on this.  The play was right in his face.  Step up and gain 2 more seconds.  Yeah, the tackle got beat, but he flat out ate it.

He was just about ready to make the pass (it appeared to me).  QBs all the time get credit for standing in the pocket and delivering the ball knowing they are going to get hit.  He did that.  The defender just go there before he could deliver it. That was because Benhart got beat so badly.  If he even slows down the defender, Martinez may have gotten the ball off.