Do We Have the Talent We Need?

Mavric

Next year is the real year to judge Frost and the staff's performance. By next year they'll have majority of their classes in the program and those from the Riley era will have been coached more under Frost then Riley. If we are another 4-8, 5-7 type team next year, then that tells me development isn't happening and Frost should probably start looking at coaches who aren't doing their jobs in development. 

39 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Next year is the real year to judge Frost and the staff's performance. By next year they'll have majority of their classes in the program and those from the Riley era will have been coached more under Frost then Riley. If we are another 4-8, 5-7 type team next year, then that tells me development isn't happening and Frost should probably start looking at coaches who aren't doing their jobs in development. 

4-8/5-7 could very well happen next year with the schedule we have...really hope there are big strides this off-season or things will get dicey really quick!

5 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

4-8/5-7 could very well happen next year with the schedule we have...really hope there are big strides this off-season or things will get dicey really quick!

Nothing from this year gives me confidence in anything better than 5-7 next year. I just hope we look better. I hope our lineman are bigger and stronger and don't look small compared to Minnesota or Wisconsin. I just hope our guys are faster to close a 5 yard gap to an open receiver quicker.

But Martinez will be a starter again next year, he will make the same mistakes as this year and the last 3 years, it will just be big to see if any WR can break coverage or get open at all. It will be interesting to see if when this team makes one mistake if it just completely derails the entire game and they can't overcome it, or if they continue to fight and are able to overcome the mistake.

We will see, but I'll be very happy if we can get to a bowl game next year. Seems every year our schedule looks more and more daunting then the previous year. That's unfortunate because you'd like to see the schedule look easier and easier as the years go on.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 3:43 PM, QMany said:

Frost's WR Recruits

2018:

• Jaron Woodyard commits after Frost's hire. Transfers to Marshall. 
  • Andre Hunt commits after Frost's hire. Never played, expelled.
  • Justin McGriff commits after Frost's hire. Transfers to Utah State.
  • Mike Williams commits after Frost's hire. 17 catches in 2 years.
  • Dominick Watts commits after Frost's hire. Never makes it to campus. 

2019:

• Demariyon Houston. Hasn't played?
  • Kanawoi Noa. 17 receptions in 1 year here.

2020:

• Zavier Betts. 12 receptions, 131 yards, 1 TD. 
  • Marcus Fleming. Transferring. 
  • Omar Manning...
  • Alante Brown. 1 reception. 
  • William Nixon. Knee injury, has not played.

Maybe, just maybe, Mike Riley isn't our problem with WR retention and production over 3 years after his departure. Or we can keep rationalizing for Frost.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, QMany said:

Not great but obviously they're examining this every year... hence the 15 signed WRs in three years. Riley was absolutely at fault for what Frost inherited but that set of players has now expired and the recruitment/development of the current group is on Frost and his staff.

Can't plan for two idiots sexually assaulting someone (one was to be the starter and his backup). Unfortunately, the first class they swung and missed on getting any noticeable talent for the program. Obviously you hope to strike gold on at least a couple but more often than not, you get a lot of reaching. Bo did this with his first class in 2008 but thankfully was able to work with remaining Callahan talent to bide time for his recruits to get settled in the program. 

Latest classes give hope that the talent is growing at the position. This spring will be very important.

• Plus1 1
On 12/21/2020 at 12:48 PM, Mavric said:

We could have gotten to a bowl game this year and you don't seem very happy so I'm dubious of this claim.

Going to a bowl game because they're handing invites out like they're skittles isn't the same thing and you know it.

Earning a bowl game would be quite the accomplishment for Frost next year and is a goal reasonable fans have.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Not great but obviously they're examining this every year... hence the 15 signed WRs in three years. Riley was absolutely at fault for what Frost inherited but that set of players has now expired and the recruitment/development of the current group is on Frost and his staff.

Can't plan for two idiots sexually assaulting someone (one was to be the starter and his backup). Unfortunately, the first class they swung and missed on getting any noticeable talent for the program. Obviously you hope to strike gold on at least a couple but more often than not, you get a lot of reaching. Bo did this with his first class in 2008 but thankfully was able to work with remaining Callahan talent to bide time for his recruits to get settled in the program. 

Latest classes give hope that the talent is growing at the position. This spring will be very important.

Our RB development hasn't been better.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Our RB development hasn't been better.

True, though beyond a 4th year Ozigbo, there was not much left when Frost got here. 

Bell was highly touted but as far as I know, wanted to play closer to home. 

Mills has been decent when fully utilized. I placed that utilization problem on the staff though he has had injury issues. I also believe we have a decent young group but with little experience. That should be placed on the coaches. 

A lot of this should be more fully developed with a spring camp and “normal” year ahead.