Do We Have the Talent We Need?

Mavric

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Getting into game-specific analysis is really more of my thing.

In the Northwestern game we missed a field goal - and even though Culp is a pretty good field goal kicker, it still goes back to how special teams just continues to nag our team.

McCaffrey then does a great job of taking us down the field but then gets us into the wrong formation on the two yard line and Mills gets stuffed. Then he gets a pass tipped and it gets picked off. We would have had to then convert a two point conversion just to tie it, and who knows what happens after that.

Were we close in that game? I'd agree to describe it that way, yes. But I still see that game as 'the glass being half empty' instead of it being 'half full.'

Negative Nancy over here...I know.

Understandable given the past couple decades. I think we see pretty similar things overall, but I'm definitely more 'glass half full,' or probably more accurately - delusional. The problems are frustrating, it's a mix of finding new ways to beat ourselves (NW was a good example) and some of the same old ones like just not showing up against Illinois. I do think they're getting less frequent and that we'll break through soon - recent history is not on my side though.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Understandable given the past couple decades. I think we see pretty similar things overall, but I'm definitely more 'glass half full,' or probably more accurately - delusional. The problems are frustrating, it's a mix of finding new ways to beat ourselves (NW was a good example) and some of the same old ones like just not showing up against Illinois. I do think they're getting less frequent and that we'll break through soon - recent history is not on my side though.

I hear you!

Against Illinois we saw how McCaffrey wasn't anywhere close to being able to handle the full game plan where more than just being a glorified wildcat QB was required. He committed four turnovers. I chalk that game up to bad coaching by even playing McCaffrey in the first place and am honestly bewildered by Frost's claims that "in practice, both guys are neck-and-neck."

However I will say, we didn't have Mills for that game and that potentially made up for most of the problems in the first place.

26 minutes ago, Undone said:

I hear you!

Against Illinois we saw how McCaffrey wasn't anywhere close to being able to handle the full game plan where more than just being a glorified wildcat QB was required. He committed four turnovers. I chalk that game up to bad coaching by even playing McCaffrey in the first place and am honestly bewildered by Frost's claims that "in practice, both guys are neck-and-neck."

However I will say, we didn't have Mills for that game and that potentially made up for most of the problems in the first place.

That, AND the fact that the tone was set with the very first play call.....

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah, the way he lateraled that ball way out on the edge...that was so frustrating.

That play.. so, so bad. It was clearly terrible decision on the surface. But it also wasn't a lateral, and should have been reviewed and overturned, which made me think it wasn't as bad. But then it still would've been an illegal forward pass, reinforcing how bad a decision it actually was. Literally no good could come of it, unless you expected Wan'Dale to catch it with somebody already actively tackling him and break out of it. Or maybe you want to argue defensive holding on the LB, but since the pass was past the line of scrimmage it would also be OPI on the receiver blocking. Literally no good outcome possible once he bounced it.

Just a truly bizarre play, especially considering (as I understand it) that was a straight zone read that has a bubble attached to the backside, one of our "simple" plays.