Jump to content


Do We Have the Talent We Need?


Mavric

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

Do we have the talent we need? I'd say most likely "probably not," bordering potentially on "maaaaybe."

 

But we sure as hell don't have the coaching and culture necessary to win. We look like a program that's just going through the motions almost as bad as Riley's program.

 

Frost has the potential to be a great head coach - but I still think his supporting cast is lacking, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

 

I don't agree at all here. We shoot ourselves in the foot all the damn time, and that's a coaching problem at the root. But this is very, very different than giving up 9+ yards per play to a Minnesota team led by a guy who couldn't even find a Juco willing to let him play QB after the season. Or just laying down and letting Iowa score 42 unanswered points. Even earlier in Riley's tenure, there was the "bloodbath" game and literally not wanting to be on the field against OSU. It's not good enough now, but it's not even worth comparing to Riley's teams. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment

37 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

 

I don't agree at all here. We shoot ourselves in the foot all the damn time, and that's a coaching problem at the root. But this is very, very different than giving up 9+ yards per play to a Minnesota team led by a guy who couldn't even find a Juco willing to let him play QB after the season. Or just laying down and letting Iowa score 42 unanswered points. Even earlier in Riley's tenure, there was the "bloodbath" game and literally not wanting to be on the field against OSU. It's not good enough now, but it's not even worth comparing to Riley's teams. 

 

I think what you're largely describing there is our defensive turnaround under Chinander - which I would be dumb to disagree with.

 

But offense and special teams? Turnovers and stupid penalties?

 

The overall results seem to stem from bad coaching, bad preparation, and bad culture - which to me are indicative of a staff that's just going through the motions. 

 

The passion to be a national championship caliber team has been beaten out of Frost and his guys. That is of course changing the subject away from "looks like they're going through the motions."

 

 

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

 

I think what you're largely describing there is our defensive turnaround under Chinander - which I would be dumb to disagree with.

 

But offense and special teams? Turnovers and stupid penalties?

 

The overall results seem to stem from bad coaching, bad preparation, and bad culture - which to me are indicative of a staff that's just going through the motions. 

 

The passion to be a national championship caliber team has been beaten out of Frost and his guys. That is of course changing the subject away from "looks like they're going through the motions."

 

 

 

Eh good point, the offensive never did seem as lost as the defense under Riley. Still feels like there's more passion, but that could just be me (and the defense). It is extremely frustrating that it's been 3 learning years, and we seem to have to make the mistake each year instead of building on last year. We always come out flat against a bad team, and from that learn we can't. That should have been learned after 2018 Troy, not 2020 Illinois. Some of that could be the drastic roster turnover, but that is the coaches job to manage. I still don't think it's just going through the motions overall - Frost, Held, Austin, etc care too much for that. But they do need to get it fixed.

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Corn55 said:

Our talent composite is 24th. Honestly pretty poor for what's supposed to be a "blue blood" program.

 

We do have the talent to win the godawful Big Ten West Division, though. Let alone have just one bowl season out of the last four.

welcome to the board

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

 

I don't agree at all here. We shoot ourselves in the foot all the damn time, and that's a coaching problem at the root. But this is very, very different than giving up 9+ yards per play to a Minnesota team led by a guy who couldn't even find a Juco willing to let him play QB after the season. Or just laying down and letting Iowa score 42 unanswered points. Even earlier in Riley's tenure, there was the "bloodbath" game and literally not wanting to be on the field against OSU. It's not good enough now, but it's not even worth comparing to Riley's teams. 

 

Riley was exactly .500 at Nebraska. Scott Frost is .375. So far, Frost has been worse than Riley. 

 

If Frost wasn't a national title winning QB, he would have already been fired, and would have gone down as the worst coach in Nebraska history. Probably even worse than Bill Jennings, since Jennings coached before Devaney and Osborne created the Nebraska program as we know it.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Undone said:

 

I think what you're largely describing there is our defensive turnaround under Chinander - which I would be dumb to disagree with.

 

But offense and special teams? Turnovers and stupid penalties?

 

The overall results seem to stem from bad coaching, bad preparation, and bad culture - which to me are indicative of a staff that's just going through the motions. 

 

The passion to be a national championship caliber team has been beaten out of Frost and his guys. That is of course changing the subject away from "looks like they're going through the motions."

 

Total offense yards per game, 2014-2020: 452, 446, 380, 385, 456, 415, 391

 

So Riley took at 450-yard offense and ground it down 70 yards per game in two years.  Frost immediately took it back to where it was when he still had enough Pelini recruits to field a decent team plus a dynamic Martinez.  But, as I've pointed out elsewhere, we didn't even recruit one full offensive until worth of contributing recruits over a four-year period from 2015-2018.  So if he's shown he can turn it around here, which is the more likely issue: that he doesn't know what he's doing or that he doesn't have the horses to run right now?

 

Turnovers Lost, 2014-2020: 25, 27, 14, 19, 22, 21, 18

Penalty yards per game, 2014-2020: 50, 63, 53, 60, 70, 42, 60

 

Turnovers have been a problem for over a decade - new coaches, old coaches, doesn't seem to matter.  Not sure a whole lot can be determined from that.

We were actually #18 in the country in fewest penalty yards per game last year.  Yet people still talk about it like we've always been the worst in the country since Frost got here.  We're still pretty bad most years but, again, that's been how it's been for years.  I think it's more we just haven't been that good so we make more mistakes.  I think trying to throw out all the accusations you did is more just trying to find an outlet for frustrations rather than based on any evidence that those are actually the issues.

  • Plus1 5
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think trying to throw out all the accusations you did is more just trying to find an outlet for frustrations rather than based on any evidence that those are actually the issues.

 

I think you're probably right about that.

 

So, back to the topic. One thing that might be appropriate is to attempt to specify whether we have enough talent average a winning percentage of <fill_in_the_blank>. Because according to your writeup, it seems it doesn't really matter what the other variables are - we just plain suck, period.

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

So, back to the topic. One thing that might be appropriate is to attempt to specify whether we have enough talent average a winning percentage of <fill_in_the_blank>. Because according to your writeup, it seems it doesn't really matter what the other variables are - we just plain suck, period.

 

Eh, I think a lot of people are over-selling how bad we are because they are frustrated.  Not that I blame them for being frustrated.  But we're not nearly as far off as people like to claim.

 

We played toe-to-toe for 25 minutes with an Ohio State team that took Clemson behind the woodshed.

We had easily the second-best offensive outing of the year against a very good Northwestern defense and had two chances at the end of the game to beat the team that finished 7-2 and #14 in the country.

We beat a Penn State team that has some of the most talent in the country with our backup QB who we later figured out wasn't really ready for the spotlight.

We had the ball at the end of the game with a chance to be 6-2 Iowa team that finished #15 in the country.

 

We also laid a couple eggs this year.  But I think it's more accurate to say that we're a decent team that makes too many mistakes to be able to win many close games than it is to say we suck.

  • Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

 

23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

 

Eh, I think a lot of people are over-selling how bad we are because they are frustrated.  Not that I blame them for being frustrated.  But we're not nearly as far off as people like to claim.

 

We played toe-to-toe for 25 minutes with an Ohio State team that took Clemson behind the woodshed.

We had easily the second-best offensive outing of the year against a very good Northwestern defense and had two chances at the end of the game to beat the team that finished 7-2 and #14 in the country.

We beat a Penn State team that has some of the most talent in the country with our backup QB who we later figured out wasn't really ready for the spotlight.

We had the ball at the end of the game with a chance to be 6-2 Iowa team that finished #15 in the country.

 

We also laid a couple eggs this year.  But I think it's more accurate to say that we're a decent team that makes too many mistakes to be able to win many close games than it is to say we suck.

 

Certain people want to act like advanced stats don't matter, and I get that they're not everything, but we finished 32nd in SP+ this year. We were 55th last year and 49th in '18. Riley's best team was 33rd and he left the program ranked in the 70s. The numbers would say we have massively improved, we are just a mostly young team playing one of the toughest schedules in the country and make young-team mistakes. I am also frustrated there haven't been more wins, but some fans are being wildly, overdramatically negative about the state of the program and the coaching that is happening. We have improved a lot and are right on the doorstep of being a good team. The wins are coming if we just stay patient, and some of Husker nation needs to get a grip before we sabotage ourselves into being actually bad.

  • Plus1 7
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But I think it's more accurate to say that we're a decent team that makes too many mistakes to be able to win many close games than it is to say we suck.

 

And I think it's just a salve to the psyche to say we're 'a decent team that makes too many mistakes' when Frost's winning percentage is .375. At this rate, he'll be hard pressed to pull it above .500 before his contract runs out.

 

But anyway, we got off topic from the question I asked (although it's an open-ended question anyway): Do we have enough talent to meet what expectation? 

 

Do we have enough talent to be a .500 team? Yeah, probably. If even just the sh***y coaching on special teams got fixed we might go .500.

 

Do we have enough talent to be in the mix to get the better of the good teams in the West and go to Indy? That's a better way to more accurately phrase the question. My answer would be "no" on that one.

 

 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Undone said:

And I think it's just a salve to the psyche to say we're 'a decent team that makes too many mistakes' when Frost's winning percentage is .375. At this rate, he'll be hard pressed to pull it above .500 before his contract runs out.

 

I don't think you and many others understand the difference between a sucky record and a sucky team.  

  • Plus1 7
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

 

I don't think you and many others understand the difference between a sucky record and a sucky team.  

 

I understand the difference as you define it, as the concept is quite simple. I just disagree with the take.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...