Do We Have the Talent We Need?

Mavric

It feels like when we get inside the opponents 40 yard line, we blow chunks.

When are backs are against a wall, we throw slaps instead of punches.  Unless it's against Rutgers.

And anything to do with kicking, punting and 2nd half adjustments, we suck at it more than who we are playing that day.

If the talent is there, boy I'd love to see it on game days.  I don't want to hear about it during practices and summer drills.

13 hours ago, Undone said:

And I think it's just a salve to the psyche to say we're 'a decent team that makes too many mistakes' when Frost's winning percentage is .375. At this rate, he'll be hard pressed to pull it above .500 before his contract runs out.

But anyway, we got off topic from the question I asked (although it's an open-ended question anyway): Do we have enough talent to meet what expectation? 

Do we have enough talent to be a .500 team? Yeah, probably. If even just the sh***y coaching on special teams got fixed we might go .500.

Do we have enough talent to be in the mix to get the better of the good teams in the West and go to Indy? That's a better way to more accurately phrase the question. My answer would be "no" on that one.

There are seriously any good teams in the West? The Big Ten West is the worst division in the entire Power 5. Our talent composite ranking of 24th is mediocre, but it's the best in the division. The second best talent ranking in the division is Purdue  at 38th.

I don't think we have the talent to do much more than win the awful BIG West division. But since Frost is going into year 4, that's his fault.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Corn55 said:

There are seriously any good teams in the West? The Big Ten West is the worst division in the entire Power 5. Our talent composite ranking of 24th is mediocre, but it's the best in the division. The second best talent ranking in the division is Purdue  at 38th.

I don't think we have the talent to do much more than win the awful BIG West division. But since Frost is going into year 4, that's his fault.

What was the record of the BIG West vs BIG East this year out of curiosity? from a quick glance it appears the East was 8-7 this year vs the West but yes the West is just soooooo terrible.....

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, admo said:

It feels like when we get inside the opponents 40 yard line, we blow chunks.

When are backs are against a wall, we throw slaps instead of punches.  Unless it's against Rutgers.

And anything to do with kicking, punting and 2nd half adjustments, we suck at it more than who we are playing that day.

If the talent is there, boy I'd love to see it on game days.  I don't want to hear about it during practices and summer drills.

Yep. Frost needs to quit blowing sunshine about talent, culture etc. If we have those things then it needs to start showing on game days. Without that it's just more talk.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, admo said:

I mean ... we had the B1G kicker of the year.  I think there are plenty of things to be frustrated at without making more up.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Corn55 said:

This is a steaming hot trash pile of a take

• Plus1 3

Perhaps I'm buying to much into the recent transfer additions, but I think the 2021 team will have the most overall talent that Frost has had. I know Toure hasn't played a down yet, but when was the last time we had a WR on our roster who was a legit draft pick after his Junior season? Stanley Morgan was legit, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he had the draft prospects Toure does. I think Betts will see a big jump after getting his feet wet this year and continued learning of the playbook. Martin will be a solid possession receiver. The tight-end spot and depth is the best its been for quite some time as Allen has proven to be an effective weapon and adding Fidone to the mix may take some time but he will be a mis-match at some point next year. RB is still somewhat of a question even with Stepp but the talent is there (just none with the game breaking ability of Mo Wash).

The defense is also bringing back the most talent in 10 years and since 2009. I am not saying the defense will be on the same level or caliber (and still expect that 2009 to be better come seasons end) but this is the closest to that talent level we have had.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... we had the B1G kicker of the year.  I think there are plenty of things to be frustrated at without making more up.

LOL my bad, just a type-Oh.  I thought I typed "kickoffs"  :facepalm: ( anything to do with kickoffs -  meaning coverage/returns).  And yes, Culp was best in B1G. That's exactly why I can't just say special teams.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

special teams play is a nightmare. a dedicated coach could fix this, Frost could fix this if he wanted to.

Right, Frost could fix and would just rather play at a disadvantage. 

I'm probably too optimistic, but Hail Varsity pointed out our Special Teams analyst has had pretty meh first years compared to the teams' baselines, and then huge jumps in year two. We did immediately improve field goals, and I think we'd feel a lot better about the punt team if Cerni had been able to play. I'm willing to give Rutledge year 2, Culp (K), Cerni (P), Meyer/Cerni (KOS). The lack of progress in the coverage teams was unsettling, but I do think the hang time on punts and distance/hang time on kickoffs is an underrated aspect of good coverage teams. Kick returns looked hopeless.

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, Undone said:

The overall results seem to stem from bad coaching, bad preparation, and bad culture - which to me are indicative of a staff that's just going through the motions.

We have issues with turnovers and penalties on offense.  However, I strongly disagree that our offensive coaches are "just going through the motions".  I believe they strongly want this to change and will do what they think is necessary to change it.  Weather that is successful is what is in question.

2 hours ago, Corn55 said:

Last year the Big Ten West was rated the fourth-toughest division in the country behind only the SEC West, Big Ten East, and SEC East. It was significantly better from top to bottom than the Big 12, Pac-12 and both ACC divisions.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

If his snapping is fixed, which it seems it is, we absolutely do.

Not to many centers that can move and pull like he does.

Most certainly.  The staff did the study and knows that on drives where there wasn't a penalty, bad snap or turnover, that we score on 90% of those drives.  I'm curious how much that study cost ... I think most of us on this board could have done a poll and given them that.  Yet, the key is in your post ... "IF".  

I'll hold out hope that he can be taught, trained and become disciplined in his trade ... but that still doesn't mean that one can't have fun that something so many Division I Centers have absolutely no problems with.  It's not rocket science.  If this guy was an a golfer at the college level he would be missing three or four 2' putts a round easily.  It's great that he can drive the ball 350 yards though ... that's cool!