Do We Have the Talent We Need?

Mavric

• 3 weeks later...

On 12/16/2020 at 3:43 PM, QMany said:

Frost's WR Recruits

2018:

• Jaron Woodyard commits after Frost's hire. Transfers to Marshall. 
  • Andre Hunt commits after Frost's hire. Never played, expelled.
  • Justin McGriff commits after Frost's hire. Transfers to Utah State.
  • Mike Williams commits after Frost's hire. 17 catches in 2 years.
  • Dominick Watts commits after Frost's hire. Never makes it to campus. 

2019:

• Demariyon Houston. Hasn't played?
  • Kanawoi Noa. 17 receptions in 1 year here.

2020:

• Zavier Betts. 12 receptions, 131 yards, 1 TD. 
  • Marcus Fleming. Transferring. 
  • Omar Manning...
  • Alante Brown. 1 reception. 
  • William Nixon. Knee injury, has not played.

Maybe, just maybe, Mike Riley isn't our problem with WR retention and production over 3 years after his departure. Or we can keep rationalizing for Frost.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, QMany said:

Not great but obviously they're examining this every year... hence the 15 signed WRs in three years. Riley was absolutely at fault for what Frost inherited but that set of players has now expired and the recruitment/development of the current group is on Frost and his staff.

Can't plan for two idiots sexually assaulting someone (one was to be the starter and his backup). Unfortunately, the first class they swung and missed on getting any noticeable talent for the program. Obviously you hope to strike gold on at least a couple but more often than not, you get a lot of reaching. Bo did this with his first class in 2008 but thankfully was able to work with remaining Callahan talent to bide time for his recruits to get settled in the program. 

Latest classes give hope that the talent is growing at the position. This spring will be very important.

• Plus1 1
On 12/21/2020 at 12:48 PM, Mavric said:

We could have gotten to a bowl game this year and you don't seem very happy so I'm dubious of this claim.

Going to a bowl game because they're handing invites out like they're skittles isn't the same thing and you know it.

Earning a bowl game would be quite the accomplishment for Frost next year and is a goal reasonable fans have.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Not great but obviously they're examining this every year... hence the 15 signed WRs in three years. Riley was absolutely at fault for what Frost inherited but that set of players has now expired and the recruitment/development of the current group is on Frost and his staff.

Can't plan for two idiots sexually assaulting someone (one was to be the starter and his backup). Unfortunately, the first class they swung and missed on getting any noticeable talent for the program. Obviously you hope to strike gold on at least a couple but more often than not, you get a lot of reaching. Bo did this with his first class in 2008 but thankfully was able to work with remaining Callahan talent to bide time for his recruits to get settled in the program. 

Latest classes give hope that the talent is growing at the position. This spring will be very important.

Our RB development hasn't been better.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

True, though beyond a 4th year Ozigbo, there was not much left when Frost got here. 

Bell was highly touted but as far as I know, wanted to play closer to home. 

Mills has been decent when fully utilized. I placed that utilization problem on the staff though he has had injury issues. I also believe we have a decent young group but with little experience. That should be placed on the coaches. 

A lot of this should be more fully developed with a spring camp and “normal” year ahead. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I have been very surprised by this honestly. I assumed our RB position would be one of our best with all the hooplah around Held and just assumed he would build that room with his perceived recruiting acumen etc. I wouldnt mind going with a good ol boy internal hire and making Ron Brown our RB coach...he is already on campus and a fantastic position coach. Heck if you wanna keep Held keep him, can Mario and sort it out. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, TheSker said:

Injuries and covid

Why are people laughing at this?

RB's were banged up all year.  Was there even a game where all were active?  Let alone individual RB's active for more than two games in a row?

The staff also confirmed that Morrison battled COVID for a chunk of the year.

I'm not saying it's the going to be the best RB room in the conference next year, but people can't ignore that this year was hard on the RB room.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

RB's were banged up all year.  Was there even a game where all were active?  Let alone individual RB's active for more than two games in a row?

I'm not saying it's the going to be the best RB room in the conference next year, but people can't ignore that this year was hard on the RB room.

Going into year 4 where have you seen RB development? Often times the position where a Freshman can get on the field the earliest? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I think because it's going year 4.  Each year we had one (and IMHO only 1 RB).  It's now year 4 and we still have no reliable, experienced RB.  Yes injuries happen, but to every RB....Covid is what it is.  Bell-Oz (Oz wouldn't have ever gotten a shot had Bell stayed despite his numbers.  Bell leaves.  Recruiting miss?  Mo leaves and Mills gets a shot.  When Mills totes the rock about 20 times we start to see what he can do.  Revolving door doesn't work for his style of running.  Mo a recruiting miss?  Mills this year and really no one besides Wan'dale....And 2 years of being a RB jas Wan'dale packing it up and moving out...It's year 4 and we "look" worse than year 1 with a hobbled recruit class and Riley's guys...

14 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I have been very surprised by this honestly. I assumed our RB position would be one of our best with all the hooplah around Held and just assumed he would build that room with his perceived recruiting acumen etc. I wouldnt mind going with a good ol boy internal hire and making Ron Brown our RB coach...he is already on campus and a fantastic position coach. Heck if you wanna keep Held keep him, can Mario and sort it out. 

Held is a balls-to-the-wall recruiter but I'm not so sure he's a P5 coach. Maybe Ron Brown can "happen by" practice a lot and provide some "counseling" sessions for our rb's :D

1 minute ago, Danimal said:

Held is a balls-to-the-wall recruiter but I'm not so sure he's a P5 coach. Maybe Ron Brown can "happen by" practice a lot and provide some "counseling" sessions for our rb's :D

with Brown as our RB coach we had great development and talent evaluations taking place. We need more of that. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Going into year 4 where have you seen RB development? Often times the position where a Freshman can get on the field the earliest? 

We've had several freshman playing the last two years.  Keeping them there and not battling injuries and off-field issues has been the issue.

• Plus1 2