Jaimes Turns Attention To Draft

4 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

I guess I just don't get the injury paranoia with college athletes these days.  Why were the first 37 games OK, but number 38 would risk injury (I don't know the actual number he played)?  Should Suh and Paul have skipped the 2009 Holiday Bowl?  I understand people have different views on this and I don't want to get into a debate about entitlement and athletes these days, but I'm not a fan of it.

I'm pretty sure there was discussion on here about Suh sitting out. These guys have the potential to make millions which will alter their and their families lives. It's hard to fault them for wanting to protect that, when a blown out knee could completely wiped that chance away.

At the very least they will make more in a year on the practice squad than most of us make in a handful of years at work.

• Plus1 2

I don't blame him.  Nobody knows his health right now.  He could be beat up and battling through something and doesn't want to go through one more game that doesn't mean anything.  Maybe he has had conversations with his teammates?  Maybe those teammates said "yeah we are cool with it".  I might feel different if it was a bowl game and it was the difference between a winning season and a losing season... but its not

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Lightfighter214 said:

So you would risk it all, including future income for the university or your company?

No way in hell you would. If you wouldn't do it, why are you expecting someone else to? Oh thats right, because it benefits you.

He's opting out of regular season games.  We understand why he's doing it.

You keep using the workplace analogy.  I'm a teacher, I sign a contract to teach every year.  If I were to win the lottery, yes, I would walk out the door.  But my district would stop paying me, freeze my license, and most likely go after back pay for my coaching salary that hasn't been fulfilled.  I'm still out ahead and made the right decision for me and my family (we're going to spend some quality time on the beach!)

But, my school district took a hit.  My school building took a hit.  And my former co-workers took a hit because they most likely have to cover my classes until my replacement is hired.

We get why he's doing it.  We just think not holding on for 6 more days to finish the "regular season" is an iffy look.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

He's opting out of regular season games.  We understand why he's doing it.

You keep using the workplace analogy.  I'm a teacher, I sign a contract to teach every year.  If I were to win the lottery, yes, I would walk out the door.  But my district would stop paying me, freeze my license, and most likely go after back pay for my coaching salary that hasn't been fulfilled.  I'm still out ahead and made the right decision for me and my family (we're going to spend some quality time on the beach!)

But, my school district took a hit.  My school building took a hit.  And my former co-workers took a hit because they most likely have to cover my classes until my replacement is hired.

We get why he's doing it.  We just think not holding on for 6 more days to finish the "regular season" is an iffy look.  

I noticed your students won't take a hit.  You must not be a good teacher      :bounce

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

And it might be iffy, he may also he hurt.

The problem with your analogy is that say right now he is a 7th round pick, if he uses an extra time, which may include a bowl, to get ready for the draft and improves his draft spot by one or two rounds, he gets tens of thousands of dollars,  if not more.

His chances of making the team also increase. 

This is all true.

It's also true that he left the team with only days left to go in the regular season (not that there is anything regular about this year...).

Just because it is a selfish reason, doesn't make it a bad reason.  

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is all true.

It's also true that he left the team with only days left to go in the regular season (not that there is anything regular about this year...).

Just because it is a selfish reason, doesn't make it a bad reason.  

disclaimer: Brenden Jaimes most likely gives zero s#!ts about anyone's opinion on this board regarding his choice :dunno