Jaimes Turns Attention To Draft

8 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Going to disagree here, as well. All of the lineman I can think of in the NFL for NU have been average servicable journeyman lineman at best. So.. Average here. Average there. Just average.. Which is what you expect from 3 star guys that "blossom".

Average college offensive linemen don't often turn into NFL starting, or even serviceable linemen. These guys are seeing the best athletes in the world on a weekly basis. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm surprised so many are OK with Jaimes abandoning his teammates this week.  I get a good prospect forgoing 3-4 weeks of practice for a meaningless bowl in order to begin Combine training, but he can't stick around 6 more days?  One more game in a short week to help your teammates get a much needed W?  Not a good look IMO.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I'm surprised so many are OK with Jaimes abandoning his teammates this week.  I get a good prospect forgoing 3-4 weeks of practice for a meaningless bowl in order to begin Combine training, but he can't stick around 6 more days?  One more game in a short week to help your teammates get a much needed W?  Not a good look IMO.

It basically is a bowl game, and his draft stock is not good enough to weather a potential injury. I've got no issue with it, he stuck it out through the season unlike many other Big Ten athletes. And I don't really fault them either, but it's commendable that Jaimes played the whole year. Also opens the door for others to get their feet wet - we're obviously trying to win the game but I expect this will feel like a bowl game with as many wrinkles/new guys as they can get ready in a short week.

5 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

In a game like this I honestly think we're better off getting some young guys in that are hungry because if Jaimes is willing to bow out I think it may speak to the mindset for some of the other seniors that aren't planning on returning..  I doubt they really give AF about this game and would probably prefer the season to be over. 

I guess I just don't get the injury paranoia with college athletes these days.  Why were the first 37 games OK, but number 38 would risk injury (I don't know the actual number he played)?  Should Suh and Paul have skipped the 2009 Holiday Bowl?  I understand people have different views on this and I don't want to get into a debate about entitlement and athletes these days, but I'm not a fan of it.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

I agree.  This isn't a "bowl game".  The team knew since they started the season that they would be playing in a game this weekend (as long as COVID didn't shut it down).  This is just as much an "exhibition game" as the last few have been, at least since NU was eliminated from contending in the Championship Game.

I'm not gonna hate on the guy, but he baled on the team.  

18 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I agree.  This isn't a "bowl game".  The team knew since they started the season that they would be playing in a game this weekend (as long as COVID didn't shut it down).  This is just as much an "exhibition game" as the last few have been, at least since NU was eliminated from contending in the Championship Game.

I'm not gonna hate on the guy, but he baled on the team.  

I think it has a lot more to do with the goal of a bowl game. Once that's gone, it's hard to blame him for leaving. 

It's a pity that college players aren't paid, despite the money they generate. Hopefully he gets drafted high and can make money for him and his family. 

• Plus1 3