*Rumor* Mass exodus incoming.

No, there is a definite difference in how different generations handle themselves, and to argue that todays under 30 crowd isn't much more, "me first, now," is silly.  The older generation is just upset because we were all duped into taking everybody's happiness into account when were coming up in the game. A prime example is how common "ghosting," has become in society. Years ago, you didn't "ghost" a job interview because you will have wasted another person's time and efforts. Now, it is all about if you even feel like showing up that morning. It is crap, but it is what it is. I will never be convinced that being rude and self centered and demanding instant gratification is best for very many people in the long run, and I think that is already starting to show in overall decreased happiness across the board in society. The rules of existence haven't changed which leads to a disconnect over the long haul when people feel they should be able to get what they want at the push of the button but are constantly reminded that the best things in life still come with planning and work and time and so are left feeling empty.  But I digress, the transfer portal is another manifestation of this. It has been shown over and over and over again that the majority of the kids that enter do not improve their status overall. Now, we can make excuses that where ever they ended up was exactly what they were seeking, we can move the goalposts to fit the narrative like we do with JD, ie, he got a new experience in a warm place so it was still a good move, but if we are calling a spade a spade, his better move would have been to swallow his ego and stick it out another year at NU. Wandale leaving might end up being a great move for him personally, nobody can see into the future. But it will hurt ALOT of people in it's wake and is a very high risk/low reward move. I hope the Wandale part of the rumor isn't true because I have always looked at him like I look at Martinez, guys that are committed to the state and the program as leaders. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

If they leave, I wish them well.  It sucks...but so be it.

I don't buy the "Frost ego" thing.  I see fans criticize coaches for that and I've always thought that was a BS comment.  All head coaches have egos.  Heck...HS coaches have major egos.  It's part of the job.  Frost is trying to lead a team that isn't winning and turn it around. He's passionate about this program and wants, more than anything, to see it succeed.  If players aren't executing properly and that's causing a crap product on the field, what is a coach supposed to do?  Sit back and not criticize what is going on?  He's given multiple players chances at just about every position.

Now, players have egos too and that's also part of the issue.  When a program isn't being successful, those egos can clash.  That's not either one's fault.  It's just life.  

If this is true, it sucks, but the program will move forward.

I suspect reality is somewhere in between.  Yes, some players will leave.  But, I'd be surprised if it's going to be this mass exodus of the top talent on the team.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't buy the "Frost ego" thing.  I see fans criticize coaches for that and I've always thought that was a BS comment.  All head coaches have egos.  Heck...HS coaches have major egos.  It's part of the job.  Frost is trying to lead a team that isn't winning and turn it around. He's passionate about this program and wants, more than anything, to see it succeed.  If players aren't executing properly and that's causing a crap product on the field, what is a coach supposed to do?  Sit back and not criticize what is going on?  He's given multiple players chances at just about every position.

Now, players have egos too and that's also part of the issue.  When a program isn't being successful, those egos can clash.  That's not either one's fault.  It's just life.  

I suspect reality is somewhere in between.  Yes, some players will leave.  But, I'd be surprised if it's going to be this mass exodus of the top talent on the team.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If a comment was made about ego, the only thing I could see about him that might rub some players wrong is if he brow beats them about how much they cared in the 90s. History is important but don’t obsess over it 

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If a comment was made about ego, the only thing I could see about him that might rub some players wrong is if he brow beats them about how much they cared in the 90s. History is important but don’t obsess over it 

I get your point.

But, if a kid is a great athlete, but not doing what it takes to be great...and the team is losing....this means nothing to me.  I'm sorry if it hurts their feelings that the coaching staff talks about what it takes to be a great program.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

It is a lot easier to transfer now than years ago since the NCAA is trying to avoid the whole paying athletes thing.  I think if we recruited more Midwestern kids like Iowa, we'd have a lot less transfers.  At some point, Nebraska needs to stop worrying about the stars behind an athlete's name and coach them up.  We are constantly out recruiting the likes of Wisconsin, Iowa State, and Iowa, but it means very little.  Make that 2 to 3 star player into a 4 star or that 4 star into a 5 star yourself.  It feels like we have a lot of good athletes here that are either regressing or just not getting any playing time for whatever reason.  If we don't have the coaches to do it, then it will need to be the next group of coaches. 

This is exactly it. We need to be in contention for every player with potential in a 500 mile radius. Get a few skill positions and some speed if it doesn't exist locally. Development >>> chasing stars. 

In today's landscape you have to chase stars to compete at the highest level, but man we can't even beat Illinois consistently. We're nowhere near that yet. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Literally have ZERO emotional reaction to ANY rumors of players leaving, be it Wandale, AM, Ty R, etc etc...we need to get our s#!t figured out from a leadership (coaching) front before I even remotely could care if a playmaker leaves..we won't use them productively anyways unless coaches figure their s#!t out 

Wait...who added Ty Robinson to this list?

4 hours ago, Husker03 said:

No, there is a definite difference in how different generations handle themselves, and to argue that todays under 30 crowd isn't much more, "me first, now," is silly.  The older generation is just upset because we were all duped into taking everybody's happiness into account when were coming up in the game. A prime example is how common "ghosting," has become in society. Years ago, you didn't "ghost" a job interview because you will have wasted another person's time and efforts. Now, it is all about if you even feel like showing up that morning. It is crap, but it is what it is. I will never be convinced that being rude and self centered and demanding instant gratification is best for very many people in the long run, and I think that is already starting to show in overall decreased happiness across the board in society. The rules of existence haven't changed which leads to a disconnect over the long haul when people feel they should be able to get what they want at the push of the button but are constantly reminded that the best things in life still come with planning and work and time and so are left feeling empty.  But I digress, the transfer portal is another manifestation of this. It has been shown over and over and over again that the majority of the kids that enter do not improve their status overall. Now, we can make excuses that where ever they ended up was exactly what they were seeking, we can move the goalposts to fit the narrative like we do with JD, ie, he got a new experience in a warm place so it was still a good move, but if we are calling a spade a spade, his better move would have been to swallow his ego and stick it out another year at NU. Wandale leaving might end up being a great move for him personally, nobody can see into the future. But it will hurt ALOT of people in it's wake and is a very high risk/low reward move. I hope the Wandale part of the rumor isn't true because I have always looked at him like I look at Martinez, guys that are committed to the state and the program as leaders. 

I think we're trying to lay blame at the wrong generation.  To the bolded, those responsible would happen to be their parents.  It's my generation that really is to blame.  I'm in my mid-40's, and my generation is totally to blame.  While I am not a teacher, I have family that have been in the business for quite some time.  They've all told me that about 15 years or so ago parents went from disciplining their children when they screwed up at school to blaming the teachers when their children screwed up at school.  My generation has taught their children that nothing is ever their fault.  If they don't succeed, it's always someone else's fault.  We reap what we sow. 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • Enhance changed the title to *Rumor* Mass exodus incoming.
  • Enhance locked this topic