*Rumor* Mass exodus incoming.

2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Not discounting your direct perspective as clearly you've got some info that I don't have access to.

My rebuttal would be, this is fine in years 1 and 2 but we're now entering year 4 and we still are a 1 QB room and that QB hasn't shown a progression most would expect entering his 4th year in the system.  

There are far too many throws at the feet, throws too late, throws airmailed, and lack of read progression that indicates progress is being made. 

Not many QBs in the nation had a 71.5% completion rating like Adrian did in 2020.  That's pretty dang good, especially when you look at the inexperience and poor receivers he to throw to.  He also had a stretch of 100 pass attempts with zero interceptions.  It wasn't always pretty but Adrian 2020 was better than Adrian 2019.  People forget the experience he had to throw to in 2018 that made him look a lot better than he actually was.  

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, CFHusker said:

I do not comment a lot but read every day.  This place is awesome with great insight and venting.  

Regarding Mario, do not discount his ability to build a qb room.  His task at Nebraska was unlike others, had zero qbs.  He got a great Freshman but that was it.  AM was then sacked with capt duties as a soft spoken soph.  Way too much to process.  And he has been injured each yr.  it was a mess when he took it over and it still needs a lot of work.  

I’ve known Mario, I’ve have watched a couple games with him.  He is a guru.   Also know a couple qbs he coached and they swear by him.    

You have to consider the hand he was dealt vs just blasting his ability.   He was short stacked.  

Look Mario, we appreciate your time and effort here. But even though you were dealt a crappy hand...you have to play those cards to the fullest, and we don't see that happening. When you have QBs that regress or make the same mistakes over and over again, is that progress?

As far as untangling the mess that is the QB room, what will you be doing to help improve that for 2021 and beyond?

Yes I know it's not really Mario. Or do I?

• Haha 4
7 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Not discounting your direct perspective as clearly you've got some info that I don't have access to.

My rebuttal would be, this is fine in years 1 and 2 but we're now entering year 4 and we still are a 1 QB room and that QB hasn't shown a progression most would expect entering his 4th year in the system.  

There are far too many throws at the feet, throws too late, throws airmailed, and lack of read progression that indicates progress is being made. 

We are not "entering year four." We just ended year three, and that third year was an unprecedented year by any standard. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We are not "entering year four." We just ended year three, and that third year was an unprecedented year by any standard. 

Should we even count this year at all? Between the garbage B1G leadership decisions, our inability to have a proper Spring or Fall camp, and that it doesn't count against eligibility...

...I'm of the mind that we should just look at this season as a long, protracted series of Spring Games, and leave it at that. Call next year "Frost: Year 3". 

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Not many QBs in the nation had a 71.5% completion rating like Adrian did in 2020.  That's pretty dang good, especially when you look at the inexperience and poor receivers he to throw to.  He also had a stretch of 100 pass attempts with zero interceptions.  It wasn't always pretty but Adrian 2020 was better than Adrian 2019.  People forget the experience he had to throw to in 2018 that made him look a lot better than he actually was.  

Look at not only yards per attempt but also yards after catch and you will quickly see how he had a 71% completion rating. And you will also see how those stats  grades NU’s passing game to be towards the bottom end of the country. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

lol, what? This was the end of frostys 3rd year.... All teams were playing under the same circumstances. If for whatever reason COVID only existed in the state of nebraska than I would agree with you, but I tire of using covid as an excuse when literally all other schools had the same circumstances... and some schools had even harsher conditions due to state law (ie all of the california schools who literally could not assemble until October due to rules against groups of 150+ more in one place)

Perhaps I could use better phrasing to be more clear but what I meant to say is, we've completed our 3rd year and the next game played (in August) is entering year 4.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Fair, but I'd love to see Adrian's compeltion % for passes thrown over 10 yards and see how that stacks up (and the quantity as well).  High passing % is good, but what does a high passing % do you if 95% of those are within 5 yards and our YAC is dismal?  QBs need to be able to stretch the field and based off what I've seen having watched every single game the past 3 years, I'd argue there has been a regression in this compared to year 1

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Do you have any examples of these since he took the job back, other than post-injury Minnesota? The only one that comes to mind is the second pick against Rutgers, he's been pretty solid overall. I don't understand the lack or read progression criticism (you're not the only one saying that) - it seems pretty clear to me he's going through his progressions, and when you complete 85% of your passes in a game it's hard to argue you should have gone through more progressions.  The first pick he should have probably gone further into the progression, but even the second one was the right decision and just a bad throw.

7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Look at not only yards per attempt but also yards after catch and you will quickly see how he had a 71% completion rating. And you will also see how those stats  grades NU’s passing game to be towards the bottom end of the country. 

There are a lot of teams completing less than that with lower YPA. Completion percentage isn't a perfect measure for sure, but it's hard to complete 70+% no matter what kind of passes you're calling. 

3 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Fair, but I'd love to see Adrian's compeltion % for passes thrown over 10 yards and see how that stacks up (and the quantity as well).  High passing % is good, but what does a high passing % do you if 95% of those are within 5 yards and our YAC is dismal?  QBs need to be able to stretch the field and based off what I've seen having watched every single game the past 3 years, I'd argue there has been a regression in this compared to year 1

I think this has been broken down elsewhere, but we throw it past 5 yards much more than 5% of the time and the completion percentage is still good. We do need to throw it downfield more for sure, but it's not like any QB we throw out there would be completing 70% here. Martinez needs to keep improving, but people latch on to individual plays or stretches where he's injured and pretend that's how he plays all the time. That's just not the case.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think this has been broken down elsewhere, but we throw it past 5 yards much more than 5% of the time and the completion percentage is still good. We do need to throw it downfield more for sure, but it's not like any QB we throw out there would be completing 70% here. Martinez needs to keep improving, but people latch on to individual plays or stretches where he's injured and pretend that's how he plays all the time. That's just not the case.

We also need downfield threats, preferably ones who have more experience than Freshmen. 

Any criticism of Martinez has to take into account that he hasn't had that stretch-the-field threat this year. 

• Plus1 7
25 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

In 2018 he had 2 legitimate downfield threats that weren't also being forced to play running back because that room was decimated.

Stanley Morgan Jr. - 1004 yards, 14.3 avg

A motivated JD Spielman - 818 yards, 12.4 avg

Nebraska also had a very stable and effective running game to help open the field up for the passing game.

Devine Ozigbo - 1082 yards - 7.0 avg

Maurice Washington - 455 yards - 5.9 avg

Greg Bell also avegraged 5 yards per carry while Mazour had 6.9 yards per carry.  

Adrian also had a fairly experienced O-line in front of him so he wasn't experiencing constant pressure.  

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't understand the lack or read progression criticism (you're not the only one saying that) - it seems pretty clear to me he's going through his progressions, and when you complete 85% of your passes in a game it's hard to argue you should have gone through more progressions.  The first pick he should have probably gone further into the progression, but even the second one was the right decision and just a bad throw.

How many of those were 1 read passing plays? Most of the passing plays are designed for our QB’s to not need to read a defense because they have trouble with it.  

AM threw the ball downfield better against Rutgers but that seems to be the exception and not the norm.  And don’t discount the TD/INT ratio when talking about QB effectiveness.  

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

How many of those were 1 read passing plays? Most of the passing plays are designed for our QB’s to not need to read a defense because they have trouble with it.  

AM threw the ball downfield better against Rutgers but that seems to be the exception and not the norm.  And don’t discount the TD/INT ratio when talking about QB effectiveness.  

Some, but definitely not all. And I don't think the QBs are why our passing plays are designed that way, there's just a lot of plays where we can take advantage of defensive alignment. There aren't always passing reads, because the reads are pre-snap for handoff, keep, or throw. We have plenty of pass plays that involve reading defenses, and anecdotally I haven't seen him just lock onto a guy whose covered anytime recently. Again the second Rutgers pick could count, but it looked to me like he cycled through the downfield receivers and thought he could fit it in late.

I also think the downfield struggles narrative is entirely coming from OSU/NW (when we didn't really call any - probably due to the defenses and lack of receiver involvement) and post-injury Minnesota. TD/INT is an issue for sure, I don't know why we can't throw TDs. I think some of it is a symptom of our lack of big plays as well though, when we score we're grinding it out so the TDs are shorter and more likely to be runs. And we still have fans saying we throw it too much in the red zone. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

He has NU just chose not to play them 

So playing kids that don't know the playbook, kids that run wrong routes, and kids that can't get lined up correctly would have been better?  Seriously man...smh.  Some of you act like Scott held players off the field that were ready to play for some crazy directive.  We played a crap load of freshman this year and everyone got on the field who accomplished what was necessary to do so.  

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1