*Rumor* Mass exodus incoming.

6 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I mean your first paragraph is the exact opposite description of wandale’s experience to this point.

and then u just listed every other plausible scenario besides transferring off a winning team while being a starter.  

Newsflash- it has nothing to do with kids today, you just feel like it is because your team is utter s#!t week to week and wanna blame “how a generation operates” instead of just admitting this appears to be a sinking ship that people are done with. 

You don’t see this at successful schools. Sure some transfers here and there- so not sure why it’s not a generational problem there yet, for Nebraska, kids are just different these days.

stay on your lawn and tell some more stories how you walked uphill to school and from school, in the freezing rain while carrying boulders in your back pack back in your day 

In your desire to be a smart a$$ you completely missed the point of my post. I said (and you failed to comprehend) that the problem is not necessarily kids today but rather that the whole landscape is different. If you disagree with that then you’re just wrong.

And I didn’t directly address Wandale because to my knowledge he has not left the team. If he does, he definitely falls into the category of jumping off a sinking ship, which was addressed in my scenarios.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

In your desire to be a smart a$$ you completely missed the point of my post. I said (and you failed to comprehend) that the problem is not necessarily kids today but rather that the whole landscape is different. If you disagree with that then you’re just wrong.

I wasnt trying to be a smart a$$, rather calling out your misguided, and age old take, that theres something off or different about the younger generation.  I'm gonna repost your exact quote below-  this is literally your exact words first indirectly referring to kids being different (your first sentence) and then directly associating a change in rules for every single team with the lack of transfer impact somehow equating to kids being different.

8 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Looks like we’ve got a couple that actually think things today (as relates to football players) are the same as they’ve always been. Newsflash, the sport has changed and players, good players, are not willing to put in the pine riding time that used to be common. So somebody phrasing that as “young players today” is not necessarily wrong.

News flash, players have been transferring for decades.  It just happens there are way less consequences to do so today vs the past.  The head coach of this dumpster fire happens to fall in this category during his playing years.  

This is an end result of a rule change, this is not a result in some cultural shift in "today's youth".  This wasn't an issue for this school all of 5-6 years ago, either the new generation of kids and shift in mindset must have occurred recently or a simpler reason probably exists that this situation is the blind leading the blind in that locker room and some want out. 

I think my comprehension is just fine, don't get your panties in a twist because you got called out for riding both sides of the argument 

4 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I guess is that a good thing or a bad thing.  To make a commitment and see it through or just bail at the first sign of trouble.  

Exactly. And that’s the point I’ve been trying to make, probably poorly.  I don’t think bailing at the first sign of trouble is a good thing and that is something that is definitely different from yesteryear. It’s not a “kids today” issue but rather the gradual transformation of society predicated on instant gratification. Heck, I’m an old fart and it affects me too. But there is no denying things are different today than they were many years ago.

• Plus1 1

43 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Completely disagree with you...I have been teaching at a university for 23 years and myself and many of my colleagues agree that today’s youth is very entitled and inpatient. They want quick results and are not wanting to spend too much time figuring things out. It is not their fault. The technology revolution they grew up in makes getting things done much easier and that is how they are used to doing things. That is why it is taking so long to change the culture in this team. I am not saying that transfers did not happen in the 80s and 90s but if you did a search, you will probably find that the number of transfers over the past decade is significantly higher than in the 80s and 90s. Regardless, every program deals with this issue as it is universal. That is why it falls on the shoulders of the highly paid coaches to retain these players and build an environment that supports them and keeps them motivated. The number of transfers over the past three years is alarming. At the beginning, we all thought, good riddance. We don’t want quitters in our team. However, after three consecutive losing seasons, one must wonder if Frost and his coaches are not partially responsible for this phenomenon.

Yeah I feel like you're still associating theories about generational behavioral patterns and the situation on this team.

This wasnt a challenge 5 years ago for this program.  Many of these players probably have older siblings that fit that time frame and would have similar "traits of a generation"

Kids didn't magically change in the past 5 years.  What changed is this progrum is now a pile of s#!t more often than not.  I know its hard to accept that as fans who have followed this team for decades- but this means absolutely nothing to a 17-20 year old kid who's only memory of nebraska being somewhat decent was when we got curbed stomped by wisconsin in the big 10 title game and every other big game that mattered.  

14 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I guess is that a good thing or a bad thing.  To make a commitment and see it through or just bail at the first sign of trouble.  

To each their own.  Me personally, I would stick through it because I know the payoff is the result of hard work, determination and dedication.  Means a lot to me, but to others...??  But that's how things have gravitated the past 10 years or so. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I wasnt trying to be a smart a$$, rather calling out your misguided, and age old take, that theres something off or different about the younger generation.  I'm gonna repost your exact quote below-  this is literally your exact words first indirectly referring to kids being different (your first sentence) and then directly associating a change in rules for every single team with the lack of transfer impact somehow equating to kids being different.

News flash, players have been transferring for decades.  It just happens there are way less consequences to do so today vs the past.  The head coach of this dumpster fire happens to fall in this category during his playing years.  

This is an end result of a rule change, this is not a result in some cultural shift in "today's youth".  This wasn't an issue for this school all of 5-6 years ago, either the new generation of kids and shift in mindset must have occurred recently or a simpler reason probably exists that this situation is the blind leading the blind in that locker room and some want out. 

I think my comprehension is just fine, don't get your panties in a twist because you got called out for riding both sides of the argument 

Hey, I wear boxers and they are not in a twist.

If you would take a step back and try to be objective, rather than defensive, you might be able to see that I am not blaming the younger generation. Fact is transferring today is much more common and easier. It’s a societal and rules issues and doesn’t have anything to do with age or generation. Once again, if you think the environment and conditions are the same today as it was 20 or 30 years ago (and I’m not just talking about the state of Husker football) then you might want to take a fresh look at things.

The only thing I was riding both sides of was with the veiled shot I took at you young pups and thinking you might actually read what I said and realize I wasn’t actually attacking the younger generation. Apparently I miscalculated since you’re still going on about it.

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Hey, I wear boxers and they are not in a twist.

If you would take a step back and try to be objective, rather than defensive, you might be able to see that I am not blaming the younger generation. Fact is transferring today is much more common and easier. It’s a societal and rules issues and doesn’t have anything to do with age or generation. Once again, if you think the environment and conditions are the same today as it was 20 or 30 years ago (and I’m not just talking about the state of Husker football) then you might want to take a fresh look at things.

The only thing I was riding both sides of was with the veiled shot I took at you young pups and thinking you might actually read what I said and realize I wasn’t actually attacking the younger generation. Apparently I miscalculated since you’re still going on about it.

I read your posts as more or less agreeing with one of the first posts saying kids in his classes today are all about instant gratification... I don't see other schools having a challenge with this transfer portal to the extent this team does- sure, transfers are easier, but if it were truly a change in rules and kids these days scenario then this would be widespread across the board... What I take offense to in your post, and a few others, is chalking up Nebraska's situation to a simple rule change impact and kids behavioral patterns today that is unique to this school.  

Frankly, I'm a fan of the transfer portal.  College coaches and admins have been asking 15-17 year olds to commit and dedicate a good chunk of their development years only to have said coaches and admins get up and leave for a higher paying job at moments notice for decades without accountability, but when a better opportunity comes across for said kid, naw you need to wait out a year and think about the decision you've made... Hypocrisy at its finest.  Wandale made a commitment to SF and this staff and SF made a commitment to Wandale and his family- if Wandale feels like SF has whiffed on this or can't deliver what he was sold on, he should find an opportunity better for him, regardless if its right or wrong.

I said in my posts, which we seem to agree with, this is a direct result of the lessening of repercussions of transferring.  I still stand by my comment that every school is playing by this rule and the real troubling trend is self inflicted and we'd be better off figuring out how to right this dumpster fire, instead of chalking up potential transfers to just relaxed rules and how kids operate today. 

@gossamorharpy Just answer one simple question, please.

Are people today more likely to want instant gratification and an easier path than they were 20 years ago?

The answer is yes. And if that answer is yes then logically it applies to everyone but even more so to younger people because they understandably haven’t been as conditioned and used to waiting, patience, etc.

This isn’t any sort of attack or back in the day story. It’s just natural societal evolution. I can tell you for a fact I am less patient today than I was 20 years ago. Now imagine someone 20 years younger than me that has never had to wait for or work as hard for something. Of course it’s just going to keep getting more pronounced with time. Kids today are great, I have two of them, but if it takes too much work or takes too long they’re looking for a quicker solution than maybe I would’ve looked for years ago. In many ways it’s more efficient but when it comes to building a functioning football team, it presents some different challenges.

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I read your posts as more or less agreeing with one of the first posts saying kids in his classes today are all about instant gratification... I don't see other schools having a challenge with this transfer portal to the extent this team does- sure, transfers are easier, but if it were truly a change in rules and kids these days scenario then this would be widespread across the board... What I take offense to in your post, and a few others, is chalking up Nebraska's situation to a simple rule change impact and kids behavioral patterns today that is unique to this school.  

Frankly, I'm a fan of the transfer portal.  College coaches and admins have been asking 15-17 year olds to commit and dedicate a good chunk of their development years only to have said coaches and admins get up and leave for a higher paying job at moments notice for decades without accountability, but when a better opportunity comes across for said kid, naw you need to wait out a year and think about the decision you've made... Hypocrisy at its finest.  Wandale made a commitment to SF and this staff and SF made a commitment to Wandale and his family- if Wandale feels like SF has whiffed on this or can't deliver what he was sold on, he should find an opportunity better for him, regardless if its right or wrong.

I said in my posts, which we seem to agree with, this is a direct result of the lessening of repercussions of transferring.  I still stand by my comment that every school is playing by this rule and the real troubling trend is self inflicted and we'd be better off figuring out how to right this dumpster fire, instead of chalking up potential transfers to just relaxed rules and how kids operate today. 

I guess I don’t hold the opinion that the transfer portal is any bigger of a problem for Nebraska than it is for any other team. I hate the transfer portal, not because of how it has affected my team but because it has significantly changed the landscape of CFB in general. 

I do prefer the way it used to be. Commitments meant more then. Players were more willing to wait their turn and to ride out some tough circumstances. You knew who was going to be moving up the ranks and would be seeing the field next year. Now it’s wide open with more players moving to and fro. I realize that’s just the way things are headed but I don’t like it. It feels more and more like a business and less and less like a team or a school. I always preferred CFB to the NFL for this reason but now it’s hard to recognize much difference between the two.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

@gossamorharpy Just answer one simple question, please.

Are people today more likely to want instant gratification and an easier path than they were 20 years ago?

The answer is yes. And if that answer is yes then logically it applies to everyone but even more so to younger people because they understandably haven’t been as conditioned and used to waiting, patience, etc.

This isn’t any sort of attack or back in the day story. It’s just natural societal evolution. I can tell you for a fact I am less patient today than I was 20 years ago. Now imagine someone 20 years younger than me that has never had to wait for or work as hard for something. Of course it’s just going to keep getting more pronounced with time. Kids today are great, I have two of them, but if it takes too much work or takes too long they’re looking for a quicker solution than maybe I would’ve looked for years ago. In many ways it’s more efficient but when it comes to building a functioning football team, it presents some different challenges.

I'd somewhat agree society as a whole seems to be a bit more impatient, that being said, if we really want to get historical here, aren't humans hardwired in their survival instincts to prioritize instant gratification and immediate gain over one that takes longer?  Concepts such as impulsiveness, the plight of uncertainty on the human mind, and man's ongoing battle to look past immediate rewards for a bigger reward down the line have been well documented by humanity for thousands of years.  In this case, If wan'dale doesn't see whats in it for him to stick around then shame on our staff for letting him down.  He's a young man and if he feels his life will be better off and be presented with greater opportunity elsewhere, then good for him and shame on us for not delivering on that.

Sure, as a society as whole, we definitely exhibits traits that would scream instant gratification because of the on-demand nature of how we live compared to before.

Where I think we disagree- if this was truly a systemic situation of humans today we would see essentially free agents in a constant revolving door year to year.  While transfers are up- schools who have their s#!t together don't struggle with this- we seem to struggle with it because we dont have our s#!t in order.  So to me, its hard for me to chalk this up to a change in society and rules of the game, when really the blame resides internally and is more driven by how atrocious this team looks at times and how consistent progress has not been an available adjective to describe nebraska since Bo's early run from 08-2010.

Your last sentence is probably the most pivotal to my stance- "when it comes to building a functioning football team".  We don't have a functional football team period and I couldn't really tell you what we've built in the past 3 years outside of being more physical and competitive to our competition that day.... To me, the lack of a functional team has more to do with an inept coaching staff who is under qualified moreso than a proverbial revolving door of players that is creating an environment not conducive for chemistry and progression.

TL:DR- we should be striving to be an ideal school to take advantage of the new transfer rules and bring in great talent we missed out of high school, instead of being that school that cant retain its existing talent or attract the right talent via the transfer portal because we cant even answer who exactly we are as a team

It is a lot easier to transfer now than years ago since the NCAA is trying to avoid the whole paying athletes thing.  I think if we recruited more Midwestern kids like Iowa, we'd have a lot less transfers.  At some point, Nebraska needs to stop worrying about the stars behind an athlete's name and coach them up.  We are constantly out recruiting the likes of Wisconsin, Iowa State, and Iowa, but it means very little.  Make that 2 to 3 star player into a 4 star or that 4 star into a 5 star yourself.  It feels like we have a lot of good athletes here that are either regressing or just not getting any playing time for whatever reason.  If we don't have the coaches to do it, then it will need to be the next group of coaches. 

• Plus1 3
  • Enhance changed the title to *Rumor* Mass exodus incoming.
  • Enhance locked this topic