Hey guys, 

Just grabbed one of these for my son for a first gaming PC as getting a PS5 or Xbox Series X was really fun (not) so went this route instead. Let me know your thoughts? I am fairly new to the world of PC gaming as I am currently typing this on a 12 year old Dell haha. 

https://www.newegg.com/skytech-st-arch-2600-500gssd-rx580-4g/p/1VK-005B-000E1?Item=1VK-005B-000E1

27 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Hey guys, 

Just grabbed one of these for my son for a first gaming PC as getting a PS5 or Xbox Series X was really fun (not) so went this route instead. Let me know your thoughts? I am fairly new to the world of PC gaming as I am currently typing this on a 12 year old Dell haha. 

https://www.newegg.com/skytech-st-arch-2600-500gssd-rx580-4g/p/1VK-005B-000E1?Item=1VK-005B-000E1

This looks decent for an entry point into PC gaming. I would upgrade the RAM asap and maybe plan on getting him a better keyboard and mouse after he get's into it a bit. Those are wear some of these trim costs -- and there are aftermarket options that are much better for those. 

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Husker_Code_Warrior said:

This looks decent for an entry point into PC gaming. I would upgrade the RAM asap and maybe plan on getting him a better keyboard and mouse after he get's into it a bit. Those are wear some of these trim costs -- and there are aftermarket options that are much better for those. 

Already ordered better keyboard and mouse etc. What would you suggest for RAM?  Thanks for the reply! 

2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Already ordered better keyboard and mouse etc. What would you suggest for RAM?  Thanks for the reply! 

It's unclear from the specs, but I think it only has 8 GB capacity for that motherboard. If you can expand or replace the RAM on that MB, I'd recommend 16 GB at least. Otherwise I'd look around for something with at least 16 GB and expandable to 32.

EDIT: One of the Q&A has the answer that there are two slots on the MB expandable to 64 GB of RAM, so just need to add an 8 GB DDR4 RAM stick.

Mine came with a single 8Gb ram stick, as per the listed specs. There is a 2nd empty ram slot available. The mobo specs say a total of 64Gb of ram can be installed. Generally ram sticks should be used in matching pairs.

• Plus1 1

All good feedback here so far. I don't have much new to add other than to tack onto @dubsker's feedback about the SSD. I'm unsure how old your son is and/or what types of games you allow him to play, but a lot of the newer 'popular' games are taking up tons of storage. Call of Duty comes in around 200GB on PC these days. Most other major titles are in the 70-120GB range.

Adding an additional SSD should be fairly easy and I would aim for one in the 1TB range; otherwise, there's a good chance he will have to uninstall games when he's done with them.

P.S. Love seeing a new PC gamer. Although the startup costs are much higher, it's a far superior product to anything consoles have or can ever offer. I also find that the PC gaming community is (generally) more mature and helpful than the console community because of that price point barrier of entry.