Bowl Game - Huskers Decline

SDHUSKER

Was wondering the same thing.  There is no magic number this year. Throw in the fact we have remained healthy throughout the season would seem to benefit us by the selection committee (good possibility we'd be able to actually play) and there are a ton of Husker fans throughout the US who would watch on tv for the ratings....Other than OSU, we have been in some "good" games.....We just need the extra practices...Be nice for the seniors to get a bowl as well...

Of course we do. We still draw more eyeballs to TVs than most teams, bad as we've been. Either fans want to watch or haters want to watch us lose. Either way, the ratings of a Husker game are likely to be better than most other teams.

I'd imagine we'll get invited to a bowl game even if we lose to Rutgers. 

• Plus1 3

I must have dreamt this because I'm not seeing it mentioned anywhere.  But I could have sworn that I heard on the radio the other day that the B1G is allowing member teams to schedule an OOC game if they aren't invited to a bowl.  The game just has to be played before 12/28.

Maybe I'm just hearing voices again...

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I must have dreamt this because I'm not seeing it mentioned anywhere.  But I could have sworn that I heard on the radio the other day that the B1G is allowing member teams to schedule an OOC game if they aren't invited to a bowl.  The game just has to be played before 12/28.

Maybe I'm just hearing voices again...

I think that was the NCAA (and thought it was before 12/31) - I don't remember seeing anything about whether the Big Ten would waive their conference-only requirement for it. But maybe we could play Wisconsin or something. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'd imagine we'll get invited to a bowl game even if we lose to Rutgers. 

Usually I'd say yes.  But the B1G is more hands-on in determining the bowl assignments than has been the case previously.  So I'm not sure they'd let us go over several teams with better records.

26 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but it's a hard, hard pass on a bowl game this year. Just end this dumpster fire of a season. 

The only tangible benefit is the extra practices, but I think they should allow those anyways just because of the nature of this season. I don't think a "bowl" game win or loss would necessarily mean much. In most cases, I don't think bowl wins/losses have that much of an impact on the next year, particularly if they're against other mediocre teams.

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Usually I'd say yes.  But the B1G is more hands-on in determining the bowl assignments than has been the case previously.  So I'm not sure they'd let us go over several teams with better records.

It would generate more revenue for the Big Ten, so unless it's a choice of us OR someone else, I can't imagine why they'd make us stay home.

Unless that "schedule your own game" thing is real, in which case, why not do that? Have SDSU or Chattanooga or someone come in and play.  

• Mavric changed the title to Bowl Game - Huskers Decline