Bowl Game - Huskers Decline

SDHUSKER

8 minutes ago, Mastershake said:

How come these damn selfish kids don’t work hard and run fast and stay separated from their families so I that I can watch them on my comfy chair over some Carne Asada fries and and 12 PBRs?  Damn millennials and their entitlement and their crippling debt.

Only 12?  They better be tallboys you lightweight.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Quite honestly, street cred with the people who actually know what’s up is the one thing we could gain leaps and bounds this season. Hard to argue how horrible the optics will be if they turn down the opportunity to play. Two-three more weeks to complete your commitment, gut it up. Sometimes you gotta do things you don’t want to do in order to get the results you want. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm honestly kind of over this college football season myself. Because of this Covid year, I don't even have much interest in the playoff. Just throw Bama and Clemson out there and see who gets the crown. Good enough. 

NFL playoffs are right around the corner, so I'm probably throwing most of my attention to the NFL. And I'm not even that big of an NFL fan. 

• Plus1 3

Seems to me that after the fit we threw just to get a season this year and even going so far as to schedule out of Conference game(s) and not having been to a bowl game for years, that turning down a bowl game (or any other game) because the guys haven't been home for a while and the [umpteen million dollar a year] coach is tired, would be embarrassing!  Put on your Big Boy pants and play football people!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

If the players did indeed vote no, then that speaks volumes about their willingness to improve and get better. To be honest, I don’t believe it is the players who said no. In the interview with Frost after the game, when he asked about the possibility of playing in a bowl, he said that he will talk to the players. If he really wanted the opportunity to get a few more practices, he would have replied positively about having the opportunity to play in a bowl.

Had we lost to Rutgers, I would have no objection to call it a day. But we won and we did not play our best football. We had some new promising young players play. It is only fair to get them more reps before next season and see if they are capable of playing a clean game.

I am not buying the excuse that the players are tired. Aren’t these the same players who complained when the BiG announced that they will not be playing this season. Also, we had one game get canceled so we played one less game than other teams. In fact some teams have already played 11 games this season with their conference championship game. I do not see these teams complaining about being tired. So, are we admitting that we are weaker and much less resilient than those teams? If that is the case and that is how Frost chooses to approach this, then it will be a very long time before we become relevant. Players opting out of a bowl game when they have not gone to one in three years tells me that the culture of the team is not as strong as we are led to believe.

I know I will be attacked after this post because apparently I am a horrible, selfish, and inconsiderate person who wants his beloved Huskers to play in a bowl and compete and get better. Such a horrible thought...

And "the players didn't vote no this is a massive disinformation campaign" conspiracy theory has entered the chat... lol

4 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I'm honestly kind of over this college football season myself. Because of this Covid year, I don't even have much interest in the playoff. Just throw Bama and Clemson out there and see who gets the crown. Good enough. 

NFL playoffs are right around the corner, so I'm probably throwing most of my attention to the NFL. And I'm not even that big of an NFL fan. 

I haven’t watched much college football outside of Nebraska games this year, and I haven’t watched many NFL games this year.  With NU not playing until late October, I wasn’t very interested in most of the college games, and I spent the weekends in Sep/Oct at my son’s fall baseball games or playing golf. Once NU started playing I would watch those games and track some other scores each Saturday. But that was really about it. 

• Fire 2

A lot of bowl games are said to be getting cancelled today. A lot of teams across the country don't want to do deal with the crap that is associated with a bowl game this year. Hell, the playoff semi-final got moved because of COVID-19 protocols that are associated with the location of where the game would have been played. 

This isn't a normal, fly to  bowl location for a week, eat good food, get entertainment, get 15 practices, play a game. It would have been locked in a hotel, some places would have forced quarantine upon arrival, very few restaurant choices would be available, and you would have flown in the day before, play, and fly out the same day. 

A lot of schools across the country just want this season to end and get back to a normal off-season and a normal season. 

• Plus1 3

I wouldn't fault the players at all.  This year and season have been crap.  Let them go spend the holiday with their family if they choose to.  

Nebraska was one of the few teams to not have Covid issues bad enough to cancel anything.  That tells me they have been living very disciplined for several months.  More than most teams in the big 10.  Guessing most on the team are ready for a break.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

If they play, I will watch it.

If they don't, it will not be a big deal to me.

Same here.  It is sounding like a lot of teams may opt out, USC just did also. I think we hear about not enough teams to fill bowls today and several have to cancel. 

Then we get to hear about ND getting in the playoff and being 30 point underdogs to Alabama. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Same here.  It is sounding like a lot of teams may opt out, USC just did also. I think we hear about not enough teams to fill bowls today and several have to cancel. 

Then we get to hear about ND getting in the playoff and being 30 point underdogs to Alabama. 

When I was coaching football, sometimes there would be schools that would call up and try to add an extra game after the season was over, for the lower levels.  It was so annoying. Sometimes we would play it, that week of practice would usually be 2 sometimes 3 practices, we would shorten them up to an hour.  No one wanted to be there.

• Mavric changed the title to Bowl Game - Huskers Decline