Bowl Game - Huskers Decline

SDHUSKER

3 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

I get that it has been a long season.... but It would strike me as weird that the school that pushed so hard to play and said they would play anywhere would turn down a game.  

Situations change as time goes by. Yes, the team fought hard to play, but fighting for that right to play caused a lot of fatigue by the end of the season. The team is worn out. 

• Mavric changed the title to Bowl Game - Huskers Decline

If offered a bowl game play in the bowl game. Yeah it's been a long (shortened) season and it hasn't been all that great, but the opportunity to play in one last game isn't about winning or losing, it's about the mindset and heart. You want a good measuring stick of if the culture within the football program is changing or trending upward? Offer an additional game to the team and see if they take it or not. 

Rejection of an additional game is exactly what is wrong with Nebraska football these days and the mentality of this team. Rejecting an extra game explains why this team can't overcome the littlest bit of adversity in a game. I've heard arguments against playing in a game with, "It's been a long season, these players haven't seen their families since June and have been doing nothing but football since." An additional game is an additional 8? extra days. Again, it's a mindset. Yeah it may have been a long weird year, but you going to pack your bags up and go home knowing you left things on the table? Knowing there was unfinished business out there? But hey, at least you get to take a break and try and come back next year.

Or do you accept the game? Tough it out the extra 8 days, prepare or another game and prepare to play and leave it all on the field? Win or lose, at least you can go home in January knowing you gave it your all and there was nothing left to give. 

Sorry, but if I am a competitor, I play that last game no matter who it is against. And with a rejection of a bowl game, this team, as evident on the field, is not a group of true competitors. This is soft, but man will they give some powerful podium speech to try and explain the heart and passion that went into their decision to go home and not play in the last game.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Just now, Stone Cold said:

Not suprised and not upset but like others have said.  For a group of people who stood up so tall to play at the end of it all when not deserving of a bowl to be potentially offered one to then say no thanks were done seems a bit strange

They did everything that was asked of them and more. Bowl games are more meaningless this year than they normally are, which is saying a lot. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

If offered a bowl game play in the bowl game. Yeah it's been a long (shortened) season and it hasn't been all that great, but the opportunity to play in one last game isn't about winning or losing, it's about the mindset and heart. You want a good measuring stick of if the culture within the football program is changing or trending upward? Offer an additional game to the team and see if they take it or not. 

Rejection of an additional game is exactly what is wrong with Nebraska football these days and the mentality of this team. Rejecting an extra game explains why this team can't overcome the littlest bit of adversity in a game. I've heard arguments against playing in a game with, "It's been a long season, these players haven't seen their families since June and have been doing nothing but football since." An additional game is an additional 8? extra days. Again, it's a mindset. Yeah it may have been a long weird year, but you going to pack your bags up and go home knowing you left things on the table? Knowing there was unfinished business out there? But hey, at least you get to take a break and try and come back next year.

Or do you accept the game? Tough it out the extra 8 days, prepare or another game and prepare to play and leave it all on the field? Win or lose, at least you can go home in January knowing you gave it your all and there was nothing left to give. 

Sorry, but if I am a competitor, I play that last game no matter who it is against. And with a rejection of a bowl game, this team, as evident on the field, is not a group of true competitors. This is soft, but man will they give some powerful podium speech to try and explain the heart and passion that went into their decision to go home and not play in the last game.

This is easily said by someone who hasn’t gone through what these players and coaches have gone through the past 9-10 months. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

This is easily said by someone who hasn’t gone through what these players and coaches have gone through the past 9-10 months. 

Nah, it's a tired fan of constant rinse and repeat excuses. Someone who wants to see improvements and see this team and program competitive again on the national level and is tired of seeing this program be coddled by it's loyal fanbase.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

This team and program fought for a 2020 season and then go out like this? That tells me they did want to play in August, but got met by a freight train called the college football season and found themselves clearly unprepared and outplayed and now want to end it early.

200w.gif

2 minutes ago, HuskerMan said:

So would the decision have been the same if Nebraska was a 1 or 2 loss team this season and ranked?

Would they have had more to play for than 3 days in Shreveport, LA? 

• Plus1 2