Bowl Game - Huskers Decline

SDHUSKER

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Dammit, these kids are weak because they aren't considering how us entitled fans are disappointed by them not doing what we want to be able to dictate to them to do.

Obviously them jumping through all kinds of hoops for nine months while not being able to see family, hang out with friends and having their entire lives turned upside down means nothing compare to making a decision to take a break like dozens of other teams are doing.

This is one of those posts I wish I could give multiple +1's to

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, Crusader Husker said:

For the record, I am OK with this decision.  I don't need to see another example of how far we have fallen.

That's where it is unfortunate and disappointing. Deciding to play would have shown these players actually showing some action behind their strong podium talk words. That they are determined to get better and want to play football and it means a lot to them. It would have given some nice insight that things were changing within the locker room.

4 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Yep they are, just as the fans are people too. The fans that have kept this program relevant for two decades as the team has been "rebuilding". I love Frost, I want him to be at Nebraska until he retires, but this team deciding the year was too rough to stick it out for 8 more days to play one last time really highlights the issues with this roster.

If this were for the National Championship or a Conference Title you could make a point, but this is for an extra week of practice to play nobody. Frankly, the college football playoffs should be the only thing left to play as far as I'm concerned with College Football. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, NebraskaHarry said:

If this were for the National Championship or a Conference Title you could make a point, but this is for an extra week of practice to play nobody. Frankly, the college football playoffs should be the only thing left to play as far as I'm concerned with College Football. 

Again, it isn't about the game, it isn't about the few extra practices, it isn't about winning the game or losing it, it isn't about the magnitude or lack of magnitude of the game, it's about the mentality. It's about wanting to play football, wanting to improve any way possible, wanting to leave it all on the line. About not packing your bags and going home when things get tough. 

Next time they are at the podium talking about how this team is a family and how close knit things are within the program, just remember when the going got tough and adversity was fighting them for 9 months, at the end of it all they decided to leave each other and go their separate ways.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BoNeyard said:

I wonder how many Nebraska fans have had to try and support a family and make a living these past 9 months during a pandemic. These guys are taken care of by scholarships and practicing football for the past 9 months. 

Scholarships that are funded by the millions upon millions of dollars that these kids make (and are unfairly compensated for). 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Dammit, these kids are weak because they aren't considering how us entitled fans are disappointed by them not doing what we want to be able to dictate to them to do.

Obviously them jumping through all kinds of hoops for nine months while not being able to see family, hang out with friends and having their entire lives turned upside down means nothing compare to making a decision to take a break like dozens of other teams are doing.

Thank you Mavric !! Wish I would have said this.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I will say this also, i have the perspective of looking at this like a 40 year old man.  But someone who has done whatever i have needed to do my entire life for my family.  20 years does alot to change persepctive, i wish i knew half the things i know now at 40 when i was 20.  But my work ethic has never changed, my ability to strive to achieve more to get thing done has never wavered.  Im not trying to get into a pissing match with anyone on here. And as much as im arguing why they didnt go to a bowl game i still understand why they didnt.  But in life there are fights your willing to fight and theres ones you dont.  So either see it through to the end or sit down and shut the f#&% up.  I may of gotten my a$$ kicked, i may of gambled away a paycheck, i may of asked my wife what she did today when the house was a disaster but i saw those mountains through till the end.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Again, it isn't about the game, it isn't about the few extra practices, it isn't about winning the game or losing it, it isn't about the magnitude or lack of magnitude of the game, it's about the mentality. It's about wanting to play football, wanting to improve any way possible, wanting to leave it all on the line. About not packing your bags and going home when things get tough. 

Next time they are at the podium talking about how this team is a family and how close knit things are within the program, just remember when the going got tough and adversity was fighting them for 9 months, at the end of it all they decided to leave each other and go their separate ways.

Yeah, they already did that. They played their season and it's over. 

• Fire 1

A good decision. I went 8 months without seeing my family this year and that was a long time... These guys deserve a good Christmas and New Year.

Can't wait for the A Holes in the media to continue to dump on us. Hopefully the team can use that to light a fire in there belly next year.

• Fire 1

Or the coaches realize that these players have done enough sacrifice and work the past 9 months that one meaningless game isn’t worth it. That letting the young men go get 3-4 weeks of rest and time with friends and family is going to be more beneficial in the long run.

• Fire 1
Just now, Cdog923 said:

Scholarships that are funded by the millions upon millions of dollars that these kids make (and are unfairly compensated for). 

The program is able to provide those scholarships because of the people who have invested in Nebraska as a university and program. Correct me if I am wrong, but the NIL will allow these players to get compensation. That is another topic to discuss, but while they wait for their inevitable large checks, thanks for the devoted and loyal Nebraska fan base, they can enjoy the comfort of state of the art facilities, free text books and education, free shelter and free food. 

Again, Nebraska fans have been pulling this program since 2001. We as fans have carried this program for 20 years. Without us, Nebraska football would have been long forgotten. We are finding out just how hard it is to keep things competitive in Lincoln and get and keep talent in Lincoln. We have realized that the head coach of Nebraska football is a really hard job, there is a lot more that goes into than wearing the N brand that was so dominant from the 70's-90's. The brand alone does not keep you relevant and good.

5 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Yeah, they already did that. They played their season and it's over. 

I guess that could be a debate. Is there season really over when there is an offer of an additional game? I see it as the season isn't over, there is still one more game, still unfinished business. I guess others, including the team, saw it as their season was over, it was a tough one and now it's time to go relax and refresh and prepare for the Spring. Maybe things will change and be better in the Spring now that we got those extra 8 days off and didn't have to play one last game.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Stop being defensive and start reading what is being said.  If your going to stand on the hill be prepared to take fire.  You are right and i agree that none of us on here know that the team and staff had to do to keep covid at bay.  And if i had a opportunity to try and set me and my family up to recieve millions of dollars in the future your dam right id play another game, your dam right id pad my stats to try and make it to the next level.  boneyard is trying to say that winners are willing to make the sacrifice others pack it in.  There are lots of players who want to see there famlies around the country.  But they wont because there doing what needs to be done, that is what is being said.  Who cares if its hard, if it was easy everyone would do it.

...it's not life and death, my man. It's a meaningless football game that would do more harm than good to the players and coaches on the team. 

• Plus1 2