Bowl Game - Huskers Decline

SDHUSKER

15 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

The program is able to provide those scholarships because of the people who have invested in Nebraska as a university and program. Correct me if I am wrong, but the NIL will allow these players to get compensation. That is another topic to discuss, but while they wait for their inevitable large checks, thanks for the devoted and loyal Nebraska fan base, they can enjoy the comfort of state of the art facilities, free text books and education, free shelter and free food. 

Again, Nebraska fans have been pulling this program since 2001. We as fans have carried this program for 20 years. Without us, Nebraska football would have been long forgotten. We are finding out just how hard it is to keep things competitive in Lincoln and get and keep talent in Lincoln. We have realized that the head coach of Nebraska football is a really hard job, there is a lot more that goes into than wearing the N brand that was so dominant from the 70's-90's. The brand alone does not keep you relevant and good.

The selfishness on display here is immense. 

You have a Merry Christmas. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

It probably did, but mainly because ... wait for it ... several other teams opted out of playing in bowl games.

Let's see something other than a clickbait writer guessing on a match up to back that up.  Yes teams(largely B1G and Pac) have opted out, but so have the bowls that normally took places in those regions/affiliated with those conferences. 

Again......wait for it..... show me tangible proof that they had the opportunity.  

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It probably did, but mainly because ... wait for it ... several other teams opted out of playing in bowl games.

But did those teams stand on a hill and demand to be part of something that was taken away.  Its like when my kids would demand a bowl of cereal but only took a few bites when they got it and said they had enough.  

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

But did those teams stand on a hill and demand to be part of something that was taken away.  Its like when my kids would demand a bowl of cereal but only took a few bites when they got it and said they had enough.  

Yes, Nebraska players and coaches fought to play this season. Their efforts were a big reason games were played at all. However, over the course of the past few months, all of that effort and discipline has worn the team out. The “positives” of one more game (whatever they may be) isn’t worth it. This “bowl game” isn’t a reward for these players. The players are going to get more out of spending a few weeks at home and resting their bodies and minds.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
29 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Let's see something other than a clickbait writer guessing on a match up to back that up.  Yes teams(largely B1G and Pac) have opted out, but so have the bowls that normally took places in those regions/affiliated with those conferences. 

Again......wait for it..... show me tangible proof that they had the opportunity.  

Sorry, the "wait for it" wasn't directed at you.  That's for the high-horsers out there.

The B1G was set to go to the Guaranteed Rate Bowl, Duke's Mayo bowl, Music City Bowl, Citrus Bowl, Outback Bowl and possibly the Orange Bowl (plus Ohio State in the playoff).  So that's five or six spots after the Playoff.  Iowa, Northwestern and Indiana are expected to take three of them.  Maryland, Illinois, Michigan State, Michigan and Purdue had previously said they were out.  Minnesota opted out this morning.  Rutgers was said to be opting out unless they beat Nebraska though I haven't seen anything for sure yet.  Wisconsin was also thought to be opting out but I haven't seen anything on them yet either.

So that leaves Penn State and Nebraska plus maybe Rutgers and Wisconsin for five spots.  Word is there will be three more bowls cancelled today because they don't have B1G teams to fill the spots.

People claiming the players should want to go to a bowl for extra practices.....this year will be very minimal practices and we have been "practicing" since March. 6 more will NOT help.

People say bowl is reward for them.  Lol, be honest with yourselves....you want them to sacrifice to reward YOU by getting to watch your team. The best reward for the players is to finally get to go home and spend time with family. 

Quit saying winners sacrifice....lmao...these kids have been in isolation since March....that is sacrifice.

So many selfish people, who can use their selfishness to once again trash a program they claim to love.  SMH

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

Honestly, probably the right decision. What did we have to gain exactly by a bowl game, best case scenario? Perhaps a win against some other struggling progrum?  This isn’t a typical bowl season where we’d get 2-3 weeks of practices, it would probably be 3-4 days.

what could have gone wrong? 

- An embarrassing performance

-A devastating injury

-more questions than answers heading into 2021

-going out on a losing note 

-Time taken away from any potential recruiting motions for the regular signing period/evaluate any potential transfers 

-Covid exposure to the team

-further mental strain during the holidays... while all of us at home, these kids essentially on campus in a bubble during a time of year meant for time with family

While I’ve been critical of this team (mainly the staff), I applaud how they’ve represented themselves, the coaches, the school, state and husker nation in what will go down as the craziest year in all of our lives.  Sure, I wish the on field results were better but so do the players who wanted it 1000x more than me.

let’s close the book on the year and get after it in 2021

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

If offered a bowl game play in the bowl game. Yeah it's been a long (shortened) season and it hasn't been all that great, but the opportunity to play in one last game isn't about winning or losing, it's about the mindset and heart. You want a good measuring stick of if the culture within the football program is changing or trending upward? Offer an additional game to the team and see if they take it or not. 

Rejection of an additional game is exactly what is wrong with Nebraska football these days and the mentality of this team. Rejecting an extra game explains why this team can't overcome the littlest bit of adversity in a game. I've heard arguments against playing in a game with, "It's been a long season, these players haven't seen their families since June and have been doing nothing but football since." An additional game is an additional 8? extra days. Again, it's a mindset. Yeah it may have been a long weird year, but you going to pack your bags up and go home knowing you left things on the table? Knowing there was unfinished business out there? But hey, at least you get to take a break and try and come back next year.

Or do you accept the game? Tough it out the extra 8 days, prepare or another game and prepare to play and leave it all on the field? Win or lose, at least you can go home in January knowing you gave it your all and there was nothing left to give. 

Sorry, but if I am a competitor, I play that last game no matter who it is against. And with a rejection of a bowl game, this team, as evident on the field, is not a group of true competitors. This is soft, but man will they give some powerful podium speech to try and explain the heart and passion that went into their decision to go home and not play in the last game.

So they could go and be locked up in a hotel room for 10 days?  Come on now.  Quit being selfish because you want to relax...in your home...with your FAMILY...and watch husker football.  If you were in their shoes, you may not want to play neither.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Dammit, these kids are weak because they aren't considering how us entitled fans are disappointed by them not doing what we want to be able to dictate to them to do.

Obviously them jumping through all kinds of hoops for nine months while not being able to see family, hang out with friends and having their entire lives turned upside down means nothing compare to making a decision to take a break like dozens of other teams are doing.

Its pretty pathetic how self entitled some of our fans can be.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2