Bowl Game - Huskers Decline

SDHUSKER

@huskerfan That is a different optic. Not saying you are wrong here. I dont believe the coaches were excited about playing. I would say that I would hope the decisions about the jobs are already made and another game is moot. Changes need to happen. 

3 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

To me it just does not make any sense. When the Wisconsin game was cancelled, everyone was so upset and the players and coaches wanted to schedule an out of conference game and when they were told “NO”, everyone cursed the BiG conference and their mothers and fathers. Now, if we are given the PRIVILEGE of playing in a bowl game where this team can really show that they are capable of competing at the national level, the players and coaches should jump on that opportunity and not look a gift horse in the mouth.

And can we please stop using COVID as an excuse? COVID has affected everyone in the nation including every other team. Did Frost and his coaches prorate the millions they are getting because of COVID? These players and coaches were jumping at the opportunity to play football all season long and now suddenly they are tired and want to spend time with their families. 

This is what I really think is the actual reason and NOT COVID. The coaches and players are not confident that they can actually compete with other teams and are afraid of losing and just want to end the season with a win. However, if they really think about it, the chance of finishing the season at 4-5 gives hope and confidence for next season. But apparently they are not confident that they can pull a clean game and are afraid to end up 3-6. To me, 3-6 is not that much worse than 3-5. At least then, the coaches and players know what they are dealing with going into next season.

It also seems that many fans on this blog are also afraid of losing so they would rather end the season with a win. Instead of saying just that, they vilify those fans who want to see their team play and compete. By the way, I am going to be working through the holidays as my job dictates that I work even in Christmas Day  and New Years, and I am not sitting at home with my FAMILY while others are being asked to go out and play a bowl game. These players and coaches signed up for this when they put on the Husker uniform and the coaches cashed their fat checks. Yes, I know, I am horrible and awful human being.

If we’re being practical technically a 3-5 season isn’t above 500 and would automatically be dq’d from a bowl season anyways 

also bud, that’s your job, that pays you and you agree to work there. These are still amateur athletes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Are you saying they shouldn't have wanted to play the season if they didn't want to play one meaningless game at the end of a very long year? 

No, I'm saying they should continue to fight hard and play games to improve the program and represent their university to the best of their ability.

• Thanks 1

I see both sides.  A lot of NU pressing to play was in Aug, then game 2 of the season wanting to go outside conference for a game.  The lawsuits, petitions etc.........Then we get a "bowl" offer only because other teams are bailing left and right and bowls themselves are cancelling.  We maybe get a few extra days of practice.  Not the usual 15. The chance to get guys hurt (unsure how Luke got hurt, but wasn't in a game), unsure who is even coming back....Just a whole lot of crap in a crappy year.  Not a lot to play for.  Won't learn a whole lot.  Someone posted we haven't won the last game of the season since 2015.......Can't blame the staff and seniors using this as a win.  They'll all be back soon enough.  I'm also assuming Frost knows some of the staff might be facing the possibility of not coming back.  Let the season end and maybe quietly let some guys go.  

30 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Honestly, I feel like the team took the high road and opted out of a bowl to save the embarrassment of not being invited to play.  Not a bad play, IMO.  We made it OUR decision.  The rest to me is just noise.

Actually, this is not what happened at all. But if it makes you feel better, go right ahead.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You know how sometimes a team gets the ball with :38 left until halftime, in a game that's not going very well, and instead of pulling out the stops to see if they can  squeeze in a score, they just run the ball into the line and let the clock run out? 

This feels kinda like that. 

Or they throw 3 consecutive passes, fail to run out clock, get a punt blocked and other team scores right before half....wait, reminds me of.....