Bowl Game - Huskers Decline

SDHUSKER

10 minutes ago, HANC said:

Or they throw 3 consecutive passes, fail to run out clock, get a punt blocked and other team scores right before half....wait, reminds me of.....

Maybe Nebraska and this staff isn’t this way; but one of the best teachers I ever had growing up was band instructor. Let a faucet drip long enough and it fills a cup. If people think any team doesn’t get better with practice and experience, then sign me up for a new coaching staff. 

• Plus1 2

Did Nebraska opt-out of the post season?  9-2 Army is looking for a bowl and an opponent.  This article even mentions Nebraska    "

https://www.ourmidland.com/sports/article/A-long-grind-Bowl-Day-marred-by-cancellations-15818163.php

"No one lobbied harder to play this season than Nebraska. On bowl selection day, the Cornhuskers (3-5) decided to wrap up the season.  “This year has been a long grind and it is time for our guys to have a break,” Nebraska coach Scott Frost said in a statement.   Nebraska joined a long list of teams who decided enough was enough, among them Arizona State, Boise State, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Louisville, Penn State, Pittsburgh, San Diego State, SMU, Southern California, Stanford, UCLA, Utah, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Washington. For the Hokies, the decision ended a 27 straight bowl game run."

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, rdg25 said:

Did Nebraska opt-out of the post season?  9-2 Army is looking for a bowl and an opponent.  This article even mentions Nebraska    "

https://www.ourmidland.com/sports/article/A-long-grind-Bowl-Day-marred-by-cancellations-15818163.php

"No one lobbied harder to play this season than Nebraska. On bowl selection day, the Cornhuskers (3-5) decided to wrap up the season.  “This year has been a long grind and it is time for our guys to have a break,” Nebraska coach Scott Frost said in a statement.   Nebraska joined a long list of teams who decided enough was enough, among them Arizona State, Boise State, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Louisville, Penn State, Pittsburgh, San Diego State, SMU, Southern California, Stanford, UCLA, Utah, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Washington. For the Hokies, the decision ended a 27 straight bowl 

I was just reading the ESPN article on Army and thought, "f it, play Army...dudes are in service looking for a game and we have guys wanting to go home from college"...read that a couple times if it doesnt sink in the first time

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

I was just reading the ESPN article on Army and thought, "f it, play Army...dudes are in service looking for a game and we have guys wanting to go home from college"...read that a couple times if it doesnt sink in the first time

Haven't you heard? It's been a long year. 

"These young men haven't quit all year, and we surely won't quit now," said athletic director Mike Buddie. "They deserve better. Period. They have earned an opportunity to get 10 wins and, as we have all year, we will continue to fight to get them that opportunity.

Army's been playing since Sept 5th and ready to rock and roll. We've been playing Oct 24th and it's been a long season. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

Be careful...this can be taken as you attacking our players. God forbid we call a spade a spade...I actually do not blame our players one bit. I definitely blame the coaches and Scott Frost who decided he had enough and used the players as an excuse. This is like me telling my mother in law I can’t visit because my daughter is tired and does not want to go.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, HANC said:

@huskerfan That is a different optic. Not saying you are wrong here. I dont believe the coaches were excited about playing. I would say that I would hope the decisions about the jobs are already made and another game is moot. Changes need to happen. 

I really hope you are right. However, my fear is that Frost will not fire a single coach. He really thinks we are so close to turning things around and that it is not the coaches fault but the players’ culture and not executing what the coaches tell them to do. He does not see a problem with coaching, so why would he make any changes!? Having said that. I really hope I am wrong. It will make me very happy to be wrong.

Remember the days the fans were outraged because Tom Osborne decided to go for two and win rather than tie the game with Miami and still get the championship. Well, look at how things turned out. Now, the fans are arguing whether going to a bowl or not was the right decision. This shows the depths we have sunk to over the past two decades.

• Thanks 3

In my most sarcastic tone...

Your right!  Why would this team need more practice?  We already turn the ball over and commit penalties more often than successful plays.  Our special teams are the worst in the nation by far.  Our running game is a joke.  Our blocking game is a joke.  We throw for tons of yards yet have hardly any points (50+ years streak of scoring at least 40+ points in at least one game every season ends this year!).  We don't need any additional 'practices' to get better!

1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

Remember the days the fans were outraged because Tom Osborne decided to go for two and win rather than tie the game with Miami and still get the championship. Well, look at how things turned out. Now, the fans are arguing whether going to a bowl or not was the right decision. This shows the depths we have sunk to over the past two decades.

Spot on.  The majority of Husker fans have sunken to the bottom of the Apathy Ocean and don't even realize it.  Where is the fight?  Where is the outrage?  This team is a dumpster fire.  Don't feed me the 'defense is good' BS...put them up against good teams like Clemson, Alabama, OSU, (heck any of the top 10 teams) and we will get blown out so fast that our heads will spin.  We are not even in the same universe as those teams.  We are struggling against teams like Illinois, Minnesota, and Rutgers!   Players are booking it out of the program faster than they are coming in.  Frost is content with blaming everyone else except himself.  2021 is going to unfortunately put this debate to bed. 

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, rdg25 said:

"No one lobbied harder to play this season than Nebraska. On bowl selection day, the Cornhuskers (3-5) decided to wrap up the season.  “This year has been a long grind and it is time for our guys to have a break,” Nebraska coach Scott Frost said in a statement.   Nebraska joined a long list of teams who decided enough was enough, among them Arizona State, Boise State, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Louisville, Penn State, Pittsburgh, San Diego State, SMU, Southern California, Stanford, UCLA, Utah, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Washington. For the Hokies, the decision ended a 27 straight bowl game run."

Army would beat the crap out of us.  But we should still accept their challenge.

Some are saying the players have been quarantined since spring and want to see their families.....we can't schedule this game in early January??  Give the kids this week and next week off to be with family for the Holidays and then resume practice January 4th with the bowl game on January 8th?  Is this too complicated to hash out?

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, lo country said:

Can you paraphrase ir have a link?  Thanks

yeah sorry.

Basically it sounds like they had hoped to get to a December 30th game so they could rest for a few days.  Martinez and Wandale are banged up.

Vote was left up to positional leaders and there was definitely differing opinions.

In general it sounds like the offense didn't want to play.  Garret Nelson was interviewed after the game and basically said "let's keep playing football".  Callahan made the comment that he wonders if allowing the team to vote "backfired" on Frost.  He also said that the Walk-Ons and practice guys don't get to travel and this would have been their one opportunity to do so.  JoJo Doman is the only senior that has been to a bowl game.

Other comments made by the KFAB crew about how parents sued the B1G to play and now we are opting out of a game.  Is the fact that there is rift in the vote an a tell on the state of the program?

• Thanks 1