Bowl Game - Huskers Decline

SDHUSKER

Just now, Cdog923 said:

They did everything that was asked of them and more. Bowl games are more meaningless this year than they normally are, which is saying a lot. 

I will say this again, im not upset and i do understand.  But the amount of garbage this university took nationally at the hands of sports analisyts and pundits saying we want to play let us play to at the end of that, say no thanks we dont want to play anymore.  To get a bowl offer being 3-5 would be a huge thing.  I think it would go a long way to developing this team for next season.  Again i undertand but if your not going to see it through to the end then why stand up at all

• Plus1 1

Just now, Cdog923 said:

200w.gif

A miss? complete miss? Not even a foul ball? Where is this statement wrong?

The team fought and the fans fought for a season in 2020 that was taken away from them. They won that battle, and now with the opportunity to play one last game they back out. Makes no sense if their preseason speak and actions remained throughout the season. Instead something happened during the season to change that trajectory and mindset. This team is bad and is ready to go home. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

I will say this again, im not upset and i do understand.  But the amount of garbage this university took nationally at the hands of sports analisyts and pundits saying we want to play let us play to at the end of that, say no thanks we dont want to play anymore.  To get a bowl offer being 3-5 would be a huge thing.  I think it would go a long way to developing this team for next season.  Again i undertand but if your not going to see it through to the end then why stand up at all

I think you are making too much out of this one extra game. I don’t think it would have been “huge” as you are making it seem. It would have been a few more practices (not 15) with a team that’s beat up and emotionally drained. Those practices would have been completely meaningless when it comes to the success for 2021. Then there is a game against an unknown opponent at an unknown destination on an unknown date.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I think you are making too much out of this one extra game. I don’t think it would have been “huge” as you are making it seem. It would have been a few more practices (not 15) with a team that’s beat up and emotionally drained. Those practices would have been completely meaningless when it comes to the success for 2021. Then there is a game against an unknown opponent at an unknown destination on an unknown date.

It isn't about the extra practices, it isn't even about winning or losing the extra game by 50 points. It's about taking what you just explained, the adversity of being physically and emotionally drained and deciding to play one last time. To prepare and play in one last game. Those type of moments is how you change a culture within a program. 

• Thanks 1

Honestly, how many actually believe their were actual invites to play in any said bowl????  Perhaps that relates to the timing of the announcement.  Most teams officially announced their decision rather quickly after their last game.  With a number of bowl games not even happening this year, the pool of actual games to be played was smaller and there were far more deserving teams to invite.  The NU higher ups(and maybe the team) may have been holding out hope for an invite to a preferable destination, but when that was not coming the easy way to "save face"(maybe a bad term but somewhat fitting) was to announce the team opt out 

I dont think any of us understand just what the players needed to go through to stay covid free and maybe it was truly hell on earth.  Maybe the coaches had to go through the same thing.  Lets be real though, im starting to get alittle more frustrated the more i think about this.  What if anything this entire time would of made this team play in a bowl game.  IF they were 4-4  what about 6-3 or 7-2 would that of been enough.  Or this whole time would they of just said, no thanks its been a tough year were done.  If it was a better bowl.  What if it was the outback bowl against a top 25 team would they take that.  What if this was a jump for next years rankings, which would give the team a morale boost.  What if What if What if i get it.  But still, just doesnt seem right to me for a team who has fought so hard through so much

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I will say this again, im not upset and i do understand.  But the amount of garbage this university took nationally at the hands of sports analisyts and pundits saying we want to play let us play to at the end of that, say no thanks we dont want to play anymore. 

Honestly, who cares at this point? The narrative is what it is, and that isn't going to be changed in a bowl game. 

6 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

To get a bowl offer being 3-5 would be a huge thing. 

It really wouldn't. It'd be a 3rd tier game in a smaller venue with no fans, no swag and no activities for the team to participate in. 

7 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I think it would go a long way to developing this team for next season.

3, maybe 4 practices that would be entirely game prep. 

8 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Again i undertand but if your not going to see it through to the end then why stand up at all

They fought to play a season. They did this. It's time to let them rest.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

A miss? complete miss? Not even a foul ball? Where is this statement wrong?

The team fought and the fans fought for a season in 2020 that was taken away from them. They won that battle, and now with the opportunity to play one last game they back out. Makes no sense if their preseason speak and actions remained throughout the season. Instead something happened during the season to change that trajectory and mindset. This team is bad and is ready to go home. 

Start with your posts lacking any sort of basic empathy past "I think you should do this, now do it, damn it."

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

Start with your posts lacking any sort of basic empathy past "I think you should do this, now do it, damn it."

Yeah sorry, my empathy for this team is starting to dwindle. The empathy is leaving to make room for the apathy that is coming in. I've coddled this program and team for 20 years now, trying my hardest to believe the 90s and prior were coming back and refusing to believe Nebraska football was anything other than greatness and holy. I'm tired of the podium talk, i'm tired of the constant talk and hype, I want to see some sort of results, some sort of improvement, some sort of sign that things are in fact changing, but when you get a majority of guys quitting on the season after a terrible year, well they've clearly given up on the season so as should I.