Bowl Game - Huskers Decline

SDHUSKER

20 minutes ago, HANC said:

People claiming the players should want to go to a bowl for extra practices.....this year will be very minimal practices and we have been "practicing" since March. 6 more will NOT help.

People say bowl is reward for them.  Lol, be honest with yourselves....you want them to sacrifice to reward YOU by getting to watch your team. The best reward for the players is to finally get to go home and spend time with family. 

Quit saying winners sacrifice....lmao...these kids have been in isolation since March....that is sacrifice.

So many selfish people, who can use their selfishness to once again trash a program they claim to love.  SMH

I prefer they play for a few reasons, but it won’t ruin my day if they opt against a game. 

Were the players and coaches selfish when it forced the conferences hand with a lawsuit from players’ parents that resulted in schools playing who originally wanted to opt out all together? According to the source, there were players who voted to play, are they also being selfish?

I just want to see this program put their money where their mouth is. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I prefer they play for a few reasons, but it won’t ruin my day if they opt against a game. 

Were the players and coaches selfish when it forced the conferences hand with a lawsuit from players’ parents that resulted in schools playing who originally wanted to opt out all together? According to the source, there were players who voted to play, are they also being selfish?

I just want to see this program put their money where their mouth is. 

They did; 8 times this year. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

To me it just does not make any sense. When the Wisconsin game was cancelled, everyone was so upset and the players and coaches wanted to schedule an out of conference game and when they were told “NO”, everyone cursed the BiG conference and their mothers and fathers. Now, if we are given the PRIVILEGE of playing in a bowl game where this team can really show that they are capable of competing at the national level, the players and coaches should jump on that opportunity and not look a gift horse in the mouth.

And can we please stop using COVID as an excuse? COVID has affected everyone in the nation including every other team. Did Frost and his coaches prorate the millions they are getting because of COVID? These players and coaches were jumping at the opportunity to play football all season long and now suddenly they are tired and want to spend time with their families. 

This is what I really think is the actual reason and NOT COVID. The coaches and players are not confident that they can actually compete with other teams and are afraid of losing and just want to end the season with a win. However, if they really think about it, the chance of finishing the season at 4-5 gives hope and confidence for next season. But apparently they are not confident that they can pull a clean game and are afraid to end up 3-6. To me, 3-6 is not that much worse than 3-5. At least then, the coaches and players know what they are dealing with going into next season.

It also seems that many fans on this blog are also afraid of losing so they would rather end the season with a win. Instead of saying just that, they vilify those fans who want to see their team play and compete. By the way, I am going to be working through the holidays as my job dictates that I work even in Christmas Day  and New Years, and I am not sitting at home with my FAMILY while others are being asked to go out and play a bowl game. These players and coaches signed up for this when they put on the Husker uniform and the coaches cashed their fat checks. Yes, I know, I am horrible and awful human being.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

@huskerfan74COVID isn’t an excuse. It’s a reality. The players have been tested every day and have had to live with significantly more restrictions and protocols than the average person and college student.

Frost also donated a portion of his salary back to the athletic department.

Forcing these players to play in a bowl, which you think they should is the exact opposite of a reward or a bonus, which is why these bowl games were started in the first place. 

• Fire 1

26 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

@huskerfan74COVID isn’t an excuse. It’s a reality. The players have been tested every day and have had to live with significantly more restrictions and protocols than the average person and college student.

Frost also donated a portion of his salary back to the athletic department.

Forcing these players to play in a bowl, which you think they should is the exact opposite of a reward or a bonus, which is why these bowl games were started in the first place. 

It is a moot point now since it has already been decided and they declined to play in a bowl. Personally, I think this is a huge mistake. If we were 5-1 like USC and we rejected to play because we had increasing cases of COVID, I would completely understand. However, when you are at the bottom of your conference and you are trying to turn things around, you should take every possible chance to go out there and play and execute and compete. It is ten more days. If they were able to hold off for nine months, what is ten more days if it means getting better at execution. Nevertheless, it is what it is and it is done now. We can all hope that next  season will be a good one and that magically Frost and his coaches figure how to fix our many issues.

56 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

To me it just does not make any sense. When the Wisconsin game was cancelled, everyone was so upset and the players and coaches wanted to schedule an out of conference game and when they were told “NO”, everyone cursed the BiG conference and their mothers and fathers. Now, if we are given the PRIVILEGE of playing in a bowl game where this team can really show that they are capable of competing at the national level, the players and coaches should jump on that opportunity and not look a gift horse in the mouth.

And can we please stop using COVID as an excuse? COVID has affected everyone in the nation including every other team. Did Frost and his coaches prorate the millions they are getting because of COVID? These players and coaches were jumping at the opportunity to play football all season long and now suddenly they are tired and want to spend time with their families. 

This is what I really think is the actual reason and NOT COVID. The coaches and players are not confident that they can actually compete with other teams and are afraid of losing and just want to end the season with a win. However, if they really think about it, the chance of finishing the season at 4-5 gives hope and confidence for next season. But apparently they are not confident that they can pull a clean game and are afraid to end up 3-6. To me, 3-6 is not that much worse than 3-5. At least then, the coaches and players know what they are dealing with going into next season.

It also seems that many fans on this blog are also afraid of losing so they would rather end the season with a win. Instead of saying just that, they vilify those fans who want to see their team play and compete. By the way, I am going to be working through the holidays as my job dictates that I work even in Christmas Day  and New Years, and I am not sitting at home with my FAMILY while others are being asked to go out and play a bowl game. These players and coaches signed up for this when they put on the Husker uniform and the coaches cashed their fat checks. Yes, I know, I am horrible and awful human being.

I bet you have sat with your family at least once since March ?? Guessing, not sure.  I am NOT afraid to see them get beat, hell, kind of used to it. I really wanted them to play so I personally could enjoy watching my team. What I refuse to do is badmouth them for declining.  Absolutely ZERO positive impact on team to play. It would ONLY be for us. A win would not propel them nor would another loss be a detriment. It would only be played for FUN, and they aren't having fun.

*** I dont think you are a awful human for having a different opinion. It is what makes this board what it is. We can disagree.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Let's see something other than a clickbait writer guessing on a match up to back that up.  Yes teams(largely B1G and Pac) have opted out, but so have the bowls that normally took places in those regions/affiliated with those conferences. 

Again......wait for it..... show me tangible proof that they had the opportunity.  

54 minutes ago, HANC said:

I bet you have sat with your family at least once since March ?? Guessing, not sure.  I am NOT afraid to see them get beat, hell, kind of used to it. I really wanted them to play so I personally could enjoy watching my team. What I refuse to do is badmouth them for declining.  Absolutely ZERO positive impact on team to play. It would ONLY be for us. A win would not propel them nor would another loss be a detriment. It would only be played for FUN, and they aren't having fun.

*** I dont think you are a awful human for having a different opinion. It is what makes this board what it is. We can disagree.

Rest assured that I would never blame the players as they are not the ones earning millions every year. However, I do think that our coaches used the players as an excuse not to prepare for a bowl game. Our team is healthy. Nevertheless, the coaches chose to end the season on a win to save their jobs as another loss might have cost some of them, NOT Frost, their jobs. The decision to decline is a choice they made and not as a result of health issues. Do you really want to convince me that if the coaches really wanted to play and improve, they could not talk to the players and explain what’s at stake? Instead, they used the players as an excuse to end the season. The ramifications of their decision will be in full display next season. I really hope I am wrong as I want nothing but success and relevance for my beloved Huskers. And I completely understand that fans are split on this issue. Only time will tell what the right choice was.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1