Bowl Game - Huskers Decline

SDHUSKER

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

Word is we're probably in good shape for a bowl with a win today.  If we don't, going to be interesting.

Coaches told the guys to still be available next week.

That part of the presser was saddening to listen to.  It's no wonder this season hasn't matched up to a lot of teams expectations.

Basically the players have been away from home/family since March and in football limbo until October.  Then forced to play 9 games in 9 weeks but knowing the games could be canceled at any minute.  Ant THEN asked to stay around for another week, through Christmas, just in case they have to play.  I wouldn't be surprised if many players on the team need a good counselor before they are ready to go for Spring ball...

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Word is we're probably in good shape for a bowl with a win today.  If we don't, going to be interesting.

Coaches told the guys to still be available next week.

Sounds great.  Crossing my fingers we win and get another game (bowl).  I hate the off season

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

That part of the presser was saddening to listen to.  It's no wonder this season hasn't matched up to a lot of teams expectations.

Basically the players have been away from home/family since March and in football limbo until October.  Then forced to play 9 games in 9 weeks but knowing the games could be canceled at any minute.  Ant THEN asked to stay around for another week, through Christmas, just in case they have to play.  I wouldn't be surprised if many players on the team need a good counselor before they are ready to go for Spring ball...

We're the players forced? I'm going to call BS on that. Any player could have opted out of playing at any point this season. Not to mention that every player on this team expressed that they wanted to play football. Seems like you're trying to start some narrative that the University/coaching staff was coercing the team to play. If an that's the case, please provide some evidence... Otherwise, miss me with that trash.

If you're trying to say the B1G was awful in its planning for this season and did its teams no favors...well, then I agree with that. But, I still don't see the players being forced into anything since they were always free to opt out.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, rocketlb said:

We're the players forced? I'm going to call BS on that. Any player could have opted out of playing at any point this season. Not to mention that every player on this team expressed that they wanted to play football. Seems like you're trying to start some narrative that the University/coaching staff was coercing the team to play. If an that's the case, please provide some evidence... Otherwise, miss me with that trash.

If you're trying to say the B1G was awful in its planning for this season and did its teams no favors...well, then I agree with that. But, I still don't see the players being forced into anything since they were always free to opt out.

Or, maybe I’m just appreciating the fact that the players did stick it out even though the circumstances were far from ideal...

I’m really not sure why my post seemed to rub you the wrong way.

I think it’s pretty obvious to most everyone that Frost didn’t have these guys locked in cages and held at gun point on the sidelines.  Geesh!

8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Or, maybe I’m just appreciating the fact that the players did stick it out even though the circumstances were far from ideal...

I’m really not sure why my post seemed to rub you the wrong way.

I think it’s pretty obvious to most everyone that Frost didn’t have these guys locked in cages and held at gun point on the sidelines.  Geesh!

I thought it was obvious, too. That's why I was pointing out that I don't agree that they were forced to play 9 games in 9 weeks. I, too, appreciate the players putting in effort and playing through adversity this season. I just think it does then a disservice if we (as fans) insinuate that they did it for any other reason than the fact that they wanted to.  That was my point.

1 minute ago, rocketlb said:

I thought it was obvious, too. That's why I was pointing out that I don't agree that they were forced to play 9 games in 9 weeks. I, too, appreciate the players putting in effort and playing through adversity this season. I just think it does then a disservice if we (as fans) insinuate that they did it for any other reason than the fact that they wanted to.  That was my point.

I in no way meant that they didn’t. 

I think you took my use of the word “forced” a tad too literally.  

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I in no way meant that they didn’t. 

I think you took my use of the word “forced” a tad too literally.  

If we can agree that words matter, then I apologize for getting after your post. I say words matter bc had you used a different word, I would read your post much differently.

I think you really do have to leave it up to the players at this point. If they are mentally done pushing a bowl game does no good. However, it didn't seem like a team that's ready to quit tonight. 

Over the second half of the season the defense has improved and the offense has done some better things. I think if you can get one more game and build on some positives for next year it could be a big win. 

• Plus1 3
16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think he was saying we wouldn't accept.  I think he was saying he would understand if the guys were ready for a break.

Frost just said he’s tired too. Choked up a bit and mentioned it’s been a tough year and he lost his dad. He seemed really emotional. 

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Bowl Game - Huskers Decline