Bowl Game - Huskers Decline

SDHUSKER

25 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I noticed that to

Who knows how much energy the coaches have gone through this year. They have had to 1) fight just for the team to play games 2) keep the kids away from catching Covid, which a lot of is out of their control 3) go through so many practices and workouts since the summer with an unknown amount of games to be played 4) trying to recruit this year without any on-campus recruiting. 

I think Frost and his staff could have done a lot better in terms of game management and game planning, but who knows what each of those guys are going through right now. 

• Plus1 5
3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If the option to play a "bowl" game is there, I don't know how you don't take it as a young, struggling team. We've heard Frost talk for a few years how important bowl games are.

We constantly talk about the lack of development and how younger guys are not getting in.  His QB doesn’t have 4 turn overs and the whole squad plays.  It’s been more like that than not.

If he wants to tap out on 2020 I don’t blame him.  He already knows his hand.

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If the option to play a "bowl" game is there, I don't know how you don't take it as a young, struggling team. We've heard Frost talk for a few years how important bowl games are.

I think bowl games are important in typical years. It’s a reward and a fun trip out of town, and the game is the cap to a good season. Plus, with typical bowl games, the team is able to get a total of 10-15 extra practices.

This year is completely different. Teams have to be mentally and physically drained. The bowl trip may not even be fun, if they are cooped up in their hotel rooms all day. 

• Plus1 5

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think bowl games are important in typical years. It’s a reward and a fun trip out of town, and the game is the cap to a good season. Plus, with typical bowl games, the team is able to get a total of 10-15 extra practices.

This year is completely different. Teams have to be mentally and physically drained. The bowl trip may not even be fun, if they are cooped up in their hotel rooms all day. 

Hearing Joshua Perry talk about what it’s normally like and what it would be like this year on BTN after the games makes me wonder why any teams would want to go.  Except the playoffs, of course.

There would only be time for game prep, maybe a week worth of practice.  No fun activities during the week.  No banquets. Minimal, if any, fans.  Basically, show up for a game and hope that it creates momentum rather than leave a sour taste.  All while being away from family during the holidays of a really stressful year.

But I hope they play one more.  I’d watch!

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Hearing Joshua Perry talk about what it’s normally like and what it would be like this year on BTN after the games makes me wonder why any teams would want to go.  Except the playoffs, of course.

There would only be time for game prep, maybe a week worth of practice.  No fun activities during the week.  No banquets. Minimal, if any, fans.  Basically, show up for a game and hope that it creates momentum rather than leave a sour taste.  All while being away from family during the holidays of a really stressful year.

But I hope they play one more.  I’d watch!

I’d watch the game, too.  I would have nothing against the team voting against a bowl game. Let them go home for a few weeks, see their family, and then come back to campus in mid-January. 

• Plus1 4
23 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Another game, in a Covid shortened season, couldn't hurt. However, I would take the additional step that ONLY returning players get to play. The seniors who don't want to return just had their last game...and ended on a high note.

Yep. The only reason to take this game would be to get some reps for some young guys that you may need next year. I’d tel the seniors they're more than welcome to travel to play some limited reps or they can just call it a year. Get some snaps for a couple more of the young lineman, put all your young receivers out there, maybe give smothers half the game reps. Plus at least some of those guys might still be hungry and excited to play. 

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’d watch the game, too.  I would have nothing against the team voting against a bowl game. Let them go home for a few weeks, see their family, and then come back to campus in mid-January. 

I think this is the way to go.   Would love to see another game as always, but the players could probably use some family time (as long as they come back:D)

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Another game, in a Covid shortened season, couldn't hurt. However, I would take the additional step that ONLY returning players get to play. The seniors who don't want to return just had their last game...and ended on a high note.

I couldn’t disagree agree more although I respect your opinion and understand the reasoning. 

if you’re a senior on this team, I’m not sure if you’ve been to a bowl game. I realize how incredibly sad that is as I type. And even though it’s not a typical game, it may be somewhere warm, with a swag bag, and a last rendezvous with your brothers.  

• Plus1 1

If I am a senior.  I want a bowl.  I want to win a bowl.  If I am Frost, covid screwed year or not.  No minimum wins or not.  I'd want to go bowling.  If nothing more than to end the NU bowl draught and start a new streak. Another week of practice.  Another game for seniors to showcase talent.  A chance for a win.  Chance to develop younger guys etc....

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I can’t imagine us saying no to another game. 

Initially I would whole heartedly agree. Regardless of popular HB opinion about dumpster fire, fire coaches, doom and gloom....nothing replaces live game reps and coaching scenarios. Want players to get better, live game reps, not practice.  Want coaches to get better, live game scenarios to put in your memory bank. 

Under covid 19 scene, players have been here since March, thought no season, fought and ridiculed,  get season, not knowing each week if you are playing, LOSING, being shamed by fans, told to leave, .....blah,blah,blah... 

Knowing if they lose, how fans like us will react, the program might be better off to go home for the Holidays on a high note and refresh for 2nd semester. If they play, miss Holidays with loved ones and lose to only hear the BS....tough sale to kids and coaches.

• Mavric changed the title to Bowl Game - Huskers Decline