Way too early 2021

HANC

6 hours ago, Bledred said:

3-9.  With Buffalo and Southern La. we know we have at least two wins.  And Frost and co. will pull out one of our many close losses some how some way.  I think the lucky B1G team to lose to us next season will beeee........Purdue. 

Got to love the optimism... Also don't be too quick to count out buffalo. Look up Jaret Patterson

• Fire 2

8 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Smh...  this thread is a dumpster fire.  With a fairly normal year of development, I truly believe this team will win 7+ games next year.  Gain a little confidence early and 9-10 wins isn't out of the question.  

This is insane given the last three years. 

• Plus1 6

If I thought Scott had a true resolve and plan to fix special teams and eliminating the stupid penalties I'd say 7-5.

But, after three years I have enough evidence to say that he doesn't have that resolve & plan, so I'm solid on predicting 5-7.

We only get maybe two conference games on our schedule at this point where we're playing a team stupider and less disciplined than we are. This league is tough and the competition doesn't hand you the game.

So Frost either has to fix the dumb s*** or it's another losing season...or by some wing and a prayer really open up this supposedly high octane offense to overcome the dumb s***. Neither thing seems likely at this point.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Smh...  this thread is a dumpster fire.  With a fairly normal year of development, I truly believe this team will win 7+ games next year.  Gain a little confidence early and 9-10 wins isn't out of the question.  

Is there an incoming QB transfer you’re not telling us about?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

If I’m Frost I’m hitting a hard reset on the QB room for 2021. New QB coach. Grad transfer QB. I love Adrian, but a nagging shoulder that dates back to HS, hasn’t been able to put it together for a full season since his freshman year - need to try for an immediate impact QB. 

Agree.  Even competent QB passing ability this year gets NU 2-3 more wins in a shortened season and everyone has a different outlook for next year. 

• Plus1 1

On 12/16/2020 at 5:24 PM, HANC said:

Purdue:  Lose the least, but one of those guys is top in Big 10...... if we lose to this team 3 years in a row, SF should walk home, which shouldn't be Lincoln.....winnable

Wait.. a loss to Purdue would make three years in a row next year? How.. how does that happen by next Fall? Unless this year doesn't count

6 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Where are all the pessimists now?  This team is capable of competing, as it stands, with the majority of the big 10.  With another year of development, they will be a team capable of winning the west.  Gbr

A 28-21 win over Rutgers has you convinced they're capable of winning the West next season? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/16/2020 at 5:24 PM, HANC said:

Okay.  I know that most on the board think we should drop a nuclear bomb on Memorial stadium and basically call off football for the unforeseen future.  Although very frustrated, I am not one of those guys.  He is my premature outlook on 2021.  Maybe a little optimistic, but I don't think it could be too far off base.

Offensive prediction:

Smothers will be the starting QB, with Martinez staying on board as a team captain and leader.  He and Frost have a father/son relationship and he will get his degree here.  He also knows that rarely does a team make it through the season without needing a quality backup.  Plus, with his passing deficiencies, not sure where he would go to find a great deal of success immediately.  I will go out on a limb and say that McCaffery stays but move to slot back and replaces WanDale (who will be at Kentucky).  The QB experiment is running out of time, and he knows his only shot at the next level will be at a slot. RB is still a concern.  3 of the 5 starters are still very young on the oline.  projects that will continue to get better (noticed I didn't say "develop", since that term is not allowed on the board).   Betts will take over as the bigger bodied WR and be the focal point with McCaffery in the slot.  Hopefully Manning pans out, but can't count on that.  At TE,  Allen accepts Fidone challenge and at 6'8 becomes a massive force for us, and Fidone sees time as a true freshman.

Overall:  Offense could be slight upgrade, but losing Robinson and with suspect play calling, may be status quo

Defensive prediction;

Chins is a lightening rod on board.  I for one am NOT a fan.  I will though, reluctantly say that I do see improvement.  I truly think that our front 4 that will return will be very solid.  Robinson will be a beast, who will be faced with a decision after next season.  Combined with Rogers, Thomas, and Daniels this could be our best front in awhile.  I am going to be a little optimistic at LB.  I like the look of Reimer, Nelson, Henrich....these guys play with their hair on fire and are young.  Yes, they make youthful mistakes, but these kids are homegrown and will bleed out for the program. They have shown flashes.  Don't be suprised if Honas doesn't entertain another year, with hopes of turning nfl heads (late round).  Combine Tannor in his 3-4 year as a starter and Payne in year 2, I think we will be faster and more athletic at this position.  The back half of the defense is the concern.  Will guys like Farmer, NPG, Newsome cut the mustard.

Overall: I think the front 7 will be as good as it has been in a few years.

Special teams  Prediction

Who the heck knows.   I am 51 and sure I can punt more consistently that what we have seen.  We will miss Culp as he was much needed this year.

Schedule:

A pessimist can and does say that losing so many close games is a sign of a bad team and poor coaching. Very easy to do in this scenario (not saying that this thought is wrong).  An optimist will say that so many 1 score games is a sign of a young team almost turning the corner.  I do think you will see Nebraska winning a few of these type of games, and yes, losing some.

Illinois loses a TON on defense and bringing in a new coach........Winnable

Buffalo:  loses about 90% of offensive firepower, but will depend on if Patterson (fb) declares for nfl......Winnable (not because of MAC school, but losses on offense)

Oklahoma:  NO CHANCE

Michigan state:  still youthful and growing.  Same boat we are in.  We will see which coach (another debate) can win.....toss up

Ohio State: NO CHANCE

Northwestern: home game.  NW finally losses linebackers.  Game we could have gotten this year.....toss up

Purdue:  Lose the least, but one of those guys is top in Big 10...... if we lose to this team 3 years in a row, SF should walk home, which shouldn't be Lincoln.....winnable

Michigan:  Home game against team some on this board are wanting to play this year... toss up

Iowa:  Home game.  Always close.  The lose firepower, especially on defense. .... want to say toss up due to last 2 years

Wisconsin: Home game.  This team isn't good this year, but really hasn't gotten a fair shake due to covid..... more than likely loss

Minnesota: Again, Ibriham (sp) is gone.  Huge weapon.  We couldn't beat them depleted....still a toss up

Forgot Southwest Louisiana: winnable

that is 4 winnable

that is 5 toss up.....let's say we win 2 (conservative), but yet very optimistic based on recent results

that is 2  NO CHANCE

that is 1 more than likely a loss

6-6 ??   Fair enough.   Is that good enough for SF or it is one foot out the door? Or all the way out?

Good breakdown....but no team loses anything unless the player decides to leave. Nobody lost a year of eligibilty this season so everyone can return. 

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

A 28-21 win over Rutgers has you convinced they're capable of winning the West next season? 

600 yards of offense against a 3 win team from the east, on their turf, in late December... Yes.  The defense has been there all year and has progressively gotten better.  We were a few plays on offense away from winning the west this year.  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2