Covid-19 Vaccinations.

17 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Not sure where you guys are hearing this, but people who have been vaccinated have gotten covid with 7% hospitalized and 74 died. The vaccines are working extremely well but nothing is perfect.

CDC Studies 'Breakthrough' COVID Cases Among People Already Vaccinated

What is being quoted is data from the clinical trials. 100% and ‘perfect’ are not necessarily mathematically equivalent. Just means the outliers are statistically negligible. 

1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

What is being quoted is data from the clinical trials. 100% and ‘perfect’ are not necessarily mathematically equivalent. Just means the outliers are statistically negligible. 

What he doesn’t seem to grasp is that it’s statistically zero on hospitalizations and deaths especially now that the cohort is so large. 

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What he doesn’t seem to grasp is that it’s statistically zero on hospitalizations and deaths especially now that the cohort is so large. 

It's not statistically zero it's 7% or whatever the number he gave was. What you're talking about sounds like practical significance.

ii. Statistical significance is mathematical and sample-size centric. Practical significance arises out of applicability of the result in decision making. Practical significance is more subjective and depends upon external factors like cost, time, objectives, etc. apart from statistical significance.

Difference Between Statistical significance and Practical significance | Difference Between

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Yep, I must not be able grasp things that weren't claimed.

Here's the posts I was replying to, neither of which mention statistically, virtually, almost, or practically. The first post literally says 100% nor does it mention that's only for the clinical trials. And the second speculates that the number may come down, so I posted the numbers to show that the numbers have indeed come down over time.

On 4/15/2021 at 11:02 AM, Jason Sitoke said:

J&J, Moderna, Pfizer all protect 100% against hospitalization and death

On 4/15/2021 at 11:26 AM, jaws said:

That is a matter of perspective. A vaccine you can transport and provide just about anywhere in the world looks like it doesn't suck to me. It is nothing short of amazing given the time constraints. 

From COVID at least even though that number might come down a little bit over time. Still amazing. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

It's not statistically zero it's 7% or whatever the number he gave was. What you're talking about sounds like practical significance.

Difference Between Statistical significance and Practical significance | Difference Between

I’m not talking about statistically significance and P values of less than or greater than 5%.  The rate of people dying from Covid after being fully vaccinated is 

CDC: Out of 75 million fully vaccinated Americans, 5,800 got COVID-19, and 74 died

74\75 million .00000099 or statistically zero and definitely not 7%

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Here's the posts I was replying to, neither of which mention statistically, virtually, almost, or practically. The first post literally says 100% nor does it mention that's only for the clinical trials. And the second speculates that the number may come down, so I posted the numbers to show that the numbers have indeed come down over time.

I just gave out the death numbers of fully vaccinated individuals, so yes it’s statistically, virtually, almost or practically zero.  

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m not talking about statistically significance and P values of less than or greater than 5%.  The rate of people dying from Covid after being fully vaccinated is 

CDC: Out of 75 million fully vaccinated Americans, 5,800 got COVID-19, and 74 died

74\75 million .00000099 or statistically zero and definitely not 7%

"Statistically zero" implies that something is not statistically significantly different from zero, which means you're talking about statistical significance, which involves p values although p values are going out of style. I wasn't arguing with you that the % wasn't low though. I was just saying that wasn't the right phrase to use for 7%. It could be for 0.00000099%. 75 million is a big sample size though. The bigger the sample size the more likely that's a significant difference from 0 but I'm not gonna calculate it.

Anyhow, that's not where the 7% came from. It said out of those vaccinated who got Covid (5,800), 7% were hospitalized. We were talking about 2 different things. You stated it was "significantly zero on hospitalizations and deaths" though. (I think 5,800/75 million might actually be statistically significantly different from 0 but not practically).

43 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

7% of the vaccinated public are not getting Covid and ending up in the hospital or dead:facepalm:

I wasn't claiming this.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Sorry, I thought what I said was pretty common knowledge at this point, so I didn't feel the need to qualify it.  But thanks for pointing out that there are breakthrough cases.

image.jpeg.3539aa05247c5afb8b3918d02ba9a2da.jpeg

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I just gave out the death numbers of fully vaccinated individuals, so yes it’s statistically, virtually, almost or practically zero.  

Again, here is the post I was responding to:

On 4/15/2021 at 11:02 AM, Jason Sitoke said:

J&J, Moderna, Pfizer all protect 100% against hospitalization and death

From the article I previously linked:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/04/13/986411423/a-mystery-under-study-how-why-and-when-covid-vaccines-arent-fully-protective

The three vaccines authorized for use against COVID-19 in the United States appear to be at least 94% effective at preventing severe disease and death (starting about two weeks after a person is fully vaccinated), according to data reported so far, and about 80% effective at preventing infection.

If you want to pretend that's statistically zero or whatever, then that's on you. I'm showing you that it's not. As I've already said, it's really good for a vaccine but it's not 100%.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Again, here is the post I was responding to:

From the article I previously linked:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/04/13/986411423/a-mystery-under-study-how-why-and-when-covid-vaccines-arent-fully-protective

If you want to pretend that's statistically zero or whatever, then that's on you. I'm showing you that it's not. As I've already said, it's really good for a vaccine but it's not 100%.

The clinical trials were essentially 100%, which is the actual data we have in hand. The breakthrough cases, particularly ones resulting in severe disease and death, aren’t tracked the way the subjects in a trial are, so it’s possible there are other factors to consider.  Your source indicated ‘at least 94%’, which I interpret to mean if every single instance of severe disease being reported after vaccination is considered the result of vaccine breakthrough...which I would think is unlikely. 

To recap, the statement was made that J&J vaccine was clearly inferior to the other 2, and several of us pointed out that in clinical data for preventing hospitalization/death, they were all pretty similar.  

You’ve pointed out that there is information that would lead us to believe that people may still be dying after being vaccinated, so therefore not 100%, no money-back guarantee.  Agreed.  Kudos. 

moving on...