Covid-19 Vaccinations.

21 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

4% of vaccinated people DO NOT END UP IN THE HOSPITAL WITH COVID!!!!!   What are you not understanding????  
And just so you don’t claim something else, the original discussion WAS about the efficacy of vaccines preventing hospitalization and death.   

I've shown you the numbers. You can cry into the void with whatever numbers you'd like to believe make sense, but until you've got some data pertaining to the conversation, I'll assume you're trolling as usual.

• Plus1 1

The old “I know I’m wrong so I will just accuse posters of trolling and maybe nobody will notice how wrong I am” post.   
I’ve already posted the CDC numbers on this a couple days ago.  Why you don’t acknowledge them is stunning yet on a way kinda expected as you are the only one not understanding how this math works.  

• Plus1 2
33 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I've shown you the numbers. You can cry into the void with whatever numbers you'd like to believe make sense, but until you've got some data pertaining to the conversation, I'll assume you're trolling as usual.

Here’s another explainer for you.  Pay close attention to the % of fully vaccinated people who end up in the hospital with Covid-19 symptoms.   

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/what-are-my-chances-of-hospitalization-even-after-being-fully-vaccinated

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Where we live, we are basically there unless you want to go to a school activity or into a hospital or assisted living....etc.  

My seniors have been telling me that the colleges they are attending are saying 100% normal.

I know to live on campus at a few schools they are saying you have to be vaccinated. 

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Here’s another explainer for you.  Pay close attention to the % of fully vaccinated people who end up in the hospital with Covid-19 symptoms.   

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/what-are-my-chances-of-hospitalization-even-after-being-fully-vaccinated

Thanks for the link. Here's the part Archy is referring to (emphasis mine):

Caroline Chen:

The first thing I would say is that no vaccine is 100%. And so we have to remember that. And what was actually tested in the trials was their ability to stop symptomatic COVID. And so, as we all know, there is always a chance for asymptomatic infection. And you add onto that the fact that the vaccines are very good, but not 100%. And what that means is just that breakthrough infections are going to occur. And that's expected by everyone, that's not surprising. The part that we are maybe concerned about is those extremely, extremely rare cases where somebody is fully vaccinated but still gets hospitalized or has severe COVID because one of the hopes for the vaccine was that, you know, even if you do have an infection post-vaccination it will likely reduce it so you barely have symptoms or you have a cold. That would be a win for us. Right? So if every single breakthrough infection was mild or asymptomatic, that'd be a win. But unfortunately, there have been very, very, very rare cases, I'm talking about 0.0005% of people who have been fully vaccinated, in which people do end up still getting hospitalized.

Caroline Chen is a reporter for Pro Publica, not an epidemiologist or researcher, so I'd like to know where she is getting that number from. Reading the transcript, it sounds like she calculated it herself when she talks about the denominator, but I'm not seeing that number anywhere else except other media citing Chen.

Would be awesome if that number is accurate, but I suspect it's too good to be true. Hopefully someone can find something to corroborate this.

Just now, Jason Sitoke said:

Or you could provide another arbitrary number that you find more convenient. 

I could, but I choose to use data instead. I've even linked to the data so everyone can see where the numbers are coming from. You're the one who threw out an arbitrary factor of 3-4 and then proceeded to do calculations with that arbitrary number.

:dunno

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

What is anyone's guess as to when we will be mask free?  

I am going with August.

I'll probably keep wearing mine at least until my kids get vaccinated. 

I kind of wish they would stay en vogue for awhile afterwards, though. 

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I could, but I choose to use data instead. I've even linked to the data so everyone can see where the numbers are coming from. You're the one who threw out an arbitrary factor of 3-4 and then proceeded to do calculations with that arbitrary number.

:dunno

While you’re sifting through the data on the interwebs, take a hot minute to search ‘confirmed vs actual covid cases’, and see how arbitrary it is. 

I have a feeling you know this already, but unfortunately admitting it wouldn’t allow you to remain on the precarious perch you’ve somehow found yourself on. 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Thanks for the link. Here's the part Archy is referring to (emphasis mine):

Caroline Chen is a reporter for Pro Publica, not an epidemiologist or researcher, so I'd like to know where she is getting that number from. Reading the transcript, it sounds like she calculated it herself when she talks about the denominator, but I'm not seeing that number anywhere else except other media citing Chen.

Would be awesome if that number is accurate, but I suspect it's too good to be true. Hopefully someone can find something to corroborate this.

How do you still not understand this???  From the article.......

Yeah, absolutely. So I actually think that 7% number, which is technically accurate, is a little misleading because it's 7% of those people who had a breakthrough infection who ended up being hospitalized. The real denominator that I think is important to people is how many percent of those who actually were fully vaccinated ended up hospitalized? That's what you want to know, what are my chances of being fully of being hospitalized even after I've been fully vaccinated? And that's the 0.0005% that I cited earlier. 

• Plus1 1