Covid-19 Vaccinations.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I get that, especially the last line. Nobody asked for this but we all have to deal with it. People are beyond ready for it to be done. 

And that's the way to sell it to someone on the fence: getting vaccinated is a crucial step to getting life back to some semblance of normal. 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I got into semi-argument with my wife last night, after I made the comment of "people are stupid for not getting the vaccine".  I don't know if that's her way of telling me that she doesn't want the vaccine, but she said that people aren't stupid for having their own thoughts or concerns of the vaccine.  I agree that someone having concerns of the long-term implications or other health impacts are valid concerns, unfortunately many people are just going with the political view of the vaccine and somehow getting the vaccine is an attack on "their freedom".

Being concerned about the vaccine and not getting it are 2 different things.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
50 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

She didn't come out and say they are "her concerns", but I think she has concerns about the long-term impacts, because the vaccine has only been out a few months and it's a "new vaccine".  I have told her that this vaccine works similar to the flu vaccine, but she doesn't get that vaccine each year either.  She's not an "anti-vaxxer", and I think she will end up getting the vaccine, but she just has some general long-term concerns.  It was one of those things that it wasn't worth getting into an argument last night, but it will turn into a more substantial argument if she resists getting the vaccine.  I think she just has some general fatigue about the pandemic and all of the strong opinions on both sides.

The frustrating thing is that they have been making Corona Virus vaccines for a very long time.  It's not like this is all new stuff.

• Plus1 2

https://omaha.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/nebraska-is-no-11-in-nation-in-share-of-adults-fully-vaccinated-against-covid/article_fb54b740-85a9-11eb-85a8-5b53a6d51fdc.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

With more vaccine rolling out and the newest shot requiring only one dose, Nebraska finished just outside the top 10 last week in the percentage of its adult population fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

As of Sunday, 247,067 Nebraskans had been fully vaccinated, almost 17% of the state’s 18-and-older population. That ranked the state 11th-best in the nation, according to a World-Herald analysis of federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data. Iowa was right behind Nebraska at 13th.

Nebraska’s ranking put it one place ahead of the preceding week, when the state ranked 12th in the share of adults who had received both doses of vaccine.

Nebraska's health professionals doing work getting the shots out and stopping Covid in its tracks like this

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

After reading this story on why some people in the panhandle of Oklahoma won't get the vaccine, I've come to this startling conclusion:  Charles Darwin had a point.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/oklahoma-diner-customers-tell-cnn-they-wont-get-vaccinated-even-if-trump-told-them-to-why-listen-to-a-liberal-new-yorker-like-him/

Next, a table of four skeptical men, one of whom said: “I’m just — I’m just not I’m not going to take it.” Tuchman asked if Trump making a public plea for people to get vaccinated — as he did on Tuesday night on Fox News — the man still demurred. And before Tuchman could follow up, another man at the table delivered a stunning rationalization for their collective reluctance: “Trump’s a liberal New Yorker. Why would we listen to him either?”

“Did you vote for him?” Tuchman pressed.

“He was the best option,” the man responded.

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

After reading this story on why some people in the panhandle of Oklahoma won't get the vaccine, I've come to this startling conclusion:  Charles Darwin had a point.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/oklahoma-diner-customers-tell-cnn-they-wont-get-vaccinated-even-if-trump-told-them-to-why-listen-to-a-liberal-new-yorker-like-him/

I've been thinking about the Darwin angle regarding Covid and anti-vaxxers.  The problem is people like this most likely have already passed on their genes.  So stupid is still cycling within the species.  Until Covid starts killing young, stupid people Darwinism isn't going to do its thing.  That is unless Covid does really cause impotence in younger cases. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

I've been thinking about the Darwin angle regarding Covid and anti-vaxxers.  The problem is people like this most likely have already passed on their genes.  So stupid is still cycling within the species.  Until Covid starts killing young, stupid people Darwinism isn't going to do its thing.  That is unless Covid does really cause impotence in younger cases. 

To be fair, there are anti-vaxxers and there are people that are skeptical of the safety of the current covid vaccines. There is an overlap between the two groups but I can understand people questioning the safety of something new. I don't think calling the second group names really convinces them to get vaccinated. 

Saying that, I can't wait to schedule my vaccination appointment. I also wonder if some people calling others out have all their other immunizations up to date and get the yearly flu shot. I know I do but I doubt many others do or know for sure. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, jaws said:

To be fair, there are anti-vaxxers and there are people that are skeptical of the safety of the current covid vaccines. There is an overlap between the two groups but I can understand people questioning the safety of something new. I don't think calling the second group names really convinces them to get vaccinated. 

Saying that, I can't wait to schedule my vaccination appointment. I also wonder if some people calling others out have all their other immunizations up to date and get the yearly flu shot. I know I do but I doubt many others do or know for sure. 

Sorry, but if somebody is still skeptical about the safety of the current crop of vaccines when weighed against the dangers to society, let alone individually, to let this virus to continue to swirl around the populace and thus allow variants to arise that bust through the efficacy of said vaccines...yeah they're stupid.  

• Plus1 2

• 2 weeks later...