Covid-19 Vaccinations.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Perhaps a bit of the Streisand Effect as well. Maybe people wouldn't be any more worried about a Covid shot than they are with the flu shot if we haven't heard 1,000 times that people might be worried about the Covid shot. 

It was always a concern that some people wouldn't take the shot. Talking about that ad nauseum has made more people think maybe they shouldn't get the shot. It's bad messaging. 

Yeah, that could be.

I kept hearing, even from friends, about how the second shot knocked them on their a$$.  

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Why put 18-50 year old women into research only category?  For a side effect of 1 in over 1 million and 1 death that may or may not be related to drug.  Many approved drugs have worse numbers than that including some of the best selling drugs of all time.  

Getting Covid-19 presents worse survival odds by far than taking JJ vaccine in that age group.  

Further investigate a potential issue that seems to relate only to that category of people at this time without having to alarm the public.

1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Not sure how this will do anything but the opposite of combatting that stigma.  

Exactly, lets not give people more reasons to get stirred up about vaccines.

Do people not realize that when you see the drug commercials on tv, the drugs probably some of you take, the small wording on the bottom at the end most likely says this drug can cause death? Its because if one person dies in the clinical trial, whether from the drug or not, they need to add that to the side effects. Do people stop taking the drug because of a very small chance they could die? No, they dont because the benefits outweigh the risks. Different people have different reactions. Some people die from eating peanut butter. Should we ban peanut butter?

Same in this case. 6 in 6.8 million cases. Guess what else, I looked it up and this disease affects 1 in 1,000,000 people. Do the math above people. So is the vaccine causing this disease or can we conclude that this is the percent of the population that is affected by this disease in the first place? 

I mean the J&J vaccine sucks because its only 65% effective while others are 90+%. But there is no need to halt administration over a disease where the probability of getting it is the same as the probability of someone in the general public having it. 

https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/afibrinogenemia-congenital/

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Do people not realize that when you see the drug commercials on tv, the drugs probably some of you take, the small wording on the bottom at the end most likely says this drug can cause death? Its because if one person dies in the clinical trial, whether from the drug or not, they need to add that to the side effects. Do people stop taking the drug because of a very small chance they could die? No, they dont because the benefits outweigh the risks. Different people have different reactions. Some people die from eating peanut butter. Should we ban peanut butter?

Same in this case. 6 in 6.8 million cases. Guess what else, I looked it up and this disease affects 1 in 1,000,000 people. Do the math above people. So is the vaccine causing this disease or can we conclude that this is the percent of the population that is affected by this disease in the first place? 

I mean the J&J vaccine sucks because its only 65% effective while others are 90+%. But there is no need to halt administration over a disease where the probability of getting it is the same as the probability of someone in the general public having it. 

Tried making the same point yesterday outside of the efficacy.  one of these doctors puts the numbers into perspective. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

I don't think it sucks. It keeps people out of the hospital and can be administered without crazy storage requirements. A year ago this would have been better than we could have hoped for in such a short time frame. 

Again, politicians (both political parties) and some medical experts are terrible at messaging. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, jaws said:

I don't think it sucks. It keeps people out of the hospital and can be administered without crazy storage requirements. A year ago this would have been better than we could have hoped for in such a short time frame. 

Again, politicians (both political parties) and some medical experts are terrible at messaging. 

Sucks compared to the other vaccines. 

39 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Sucks compared to the other vaccines. 

That is a matter of perspective. A vaccine you can transport and provide just about anywhere in the world looks like it doesn't suck to me. It is nothing short of amazing given the time constraints. 

24 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

J&J, Moderna, Pfizer all protect 100% against hospitalization and death

From COVID at least even though that number might come down a little bit over time. Still amazing. 

• Plus1 2

For whatever reasons, 25%-30% of Americans have no intention of getting any COVID vaccination, although a certain percentage would do so if required or incentivized, i.e. as part of their job. 

That was roughly the same number when the vaccine was announced last fall as it was just prior to the J&J announcement. 

10 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

J&J, Moderna, Pfizer all protect 100% against hospitalization and death

10 hours ago, jaws said:

From COVID at least even though that number might come down a little bit over time. Still amazing. 

Not sure where you guys are hearing this, but people who have been vaccinated have gotten covid with 7% hospitalized and 74 died. The vaccines are working extremely well but nothing is perfect.

CDC Studies 'Breakthrough' COVID Cases Among People Already Vaccinated

Though these sorts of breakthrough infections have been reported among people of all ages, a little more than 40% so far have been among people age 60 or older, according to the agency, and 65% of such cases have been among women. About 29% of those experiencing breakthrough infections experienced no symptoms, but 7% were hospitalized and 74 people died.

This incomplete protection that some people experience occurs to some extent with a vaccine against any disease, says Dr. Saad Omer, a vaccine researcher at Yale University, and the numbers gathered so far are in line with what's expected, the CDC says.

The three vaccines authorized for use against COVID-19 in the United States appear to be at least 94% effective at preventing severe disease and death (starting about two weeks after a person is fully vaccinated), according to data reported so far, and about 80% effective at preventing infection. But that's not 100%, Omer notes, so a relatively small number of infections despite immunization with these very effective vaccines is to be expected.