Covid-19 Vaccinations.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:58 AM, knapplc said:

As we remain with so many unvaccinated people and the virus continues to spread and mutate, here's hoping a more virulent strain doesn't emerge that puts us all back in lockdown again, or have another half million dead.

A mutation that sickens more people, or (god forbid) their children would be a pretty awful price to pay for a country already reeling from the past 14 months.

My two kids are the reason I'm still being real strict with masks and social distancing; I won't feel truly comfortable with anything approaching "normalcy" until they can get vaccinated (which is probably still a fair ways away). 

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

My two kids are the reason I'm still being real strict with masks and social distancing; I won't feel truly comfortable with anything approaching "normalcy" until they can get vaccinated (which is probably still a fair ways away). 

Depending on their age, they will either have an EUA soon for the vaccine or they are young enough to where statistically speaking the flu presents a bigger health risk than Covid-19.  
I believe the latter is why some parents will be hesitant to get their younger kids vaccinated for Covid this year until more data comes out by this time next year.  

• Plus1 1

I also believe a portion of the population is waiting for actual FDA approval. The FDA approval piece is important to not only a portion of the population but also some of those in the medical field such as my Dr. She has advised against getting the vaccine until it has undergone the proper scrutiny if you are not in a high risk category and under 40. I am in the portion of the population who has yet to get the vaccine. Luckily Pzifer and BioNtech have started the filing for full FDA authorization today. 

47 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I also believe a portion of the population is waiting for actual FDA approval. The FDA approval piece is important to not only a portion of the population but also some of those in the medical field such as my Dr. She has advised against getting the vaccine until it has undergone the proper scrutiny if you are not in a high risk category and under 40. I am in the portion of the population who has yet to get the vaccine. Luckily Pzifer and BioNtech have started the filing for full FDA authorization today. 

I wonder what the overlap is between people waiting for full FDA approval and those who don't trust the government or want to get rid of government regulations. The full FDA approval is just a government rubber stamp at this point with hundreds of millions having taken the vaccine already. It isn't going to change anything about the science.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I wonder what the overlap is between people waiting for full FDA approval and those who don't trust the government or want to get rid of government regulations. The full FDA approval is just a government rubber stamp at this point with hundreds of millions having taken the vaccine already. It isn't going to change anything about the science.

But does it show that further investigation and reviewing of additional trial and data has been done to ensure the safety of the vaccine. Especially when you are not traditional retirement age and older. I know it will not change the science but I also know it is easier to trust something that has gone through the actual full blown approval than has not. 

19 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

But does it show that further investigation and reviewing of additional trial and data has been done to ensure the safety of the vaccine. Especially when you are not traditional retirement age and older. I know it will not change the science but I also know it is easier to trust something that has gone through the actual full blown approval than has not. 

Yes, I get that for people who believe in and trust government regulations by agencies like the FDA. I'm just wondering aloud how many both don't trust the government and are waiting for full approval.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Yes, I get that for people who believe in and trust government regulations by agencies like the FDA. I'm just wondering aloud how many both don't trust the government and are waiting for full approval.

none is my response haha If I were in a high risk category I would have already taken the vaccine as the risk/reward would have been quite different and much easier to measure. But there is a large portion that will not get the shot simply because they watch too much tiktok. I would also imagine making the shot even easier to get where you can literally just walk in and get it will help knock a few percent points off the unvaccinated portion. We can agree that America is lazy. 

6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

A much higher percentage of republicans aren’t getting it. Meanwhile, they are the ones that think government is horrible and can’t be trusted. 

I don’t believe anything the FDA dies will change anything. 

The vaccine has gone through the science part of everything. It was faster because they forced the FDA to not let it sit on people’s desks forever. That doesn’t make it unsafe.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

A much higher percentage of republicans aren’t getting it. Meanwhile, they are the ones that think government is horrible and can’t be trusted. 

The vaccine has gone through the science part of everything. It was faster because they forced the FDA to not let it sit on people’s desks forever. That doesn’t make it unsafe.  

I imagine this will just cause more distrust.  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not a big fan of the FDA, but I think this is a little unfair.  EUA is basically just a more risk-tolerant process.  Things are done in parallel paths to mobilize quickly.  The risk in this approach obviously is that at some point in the testing they might find a problem, and will have wasted effort in manufacturing.  The EUA allows the FDA to use this development process in special circumstances...which I think is a different thing than 'forcing' the FDA to do something.  

UNC-EUA-vs-FDA-Timeline-Infogragphic-scaled-1.jpg

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I'm not a big fan of the FDA, but I think this is a little unfair.  EUA is basically just a more risk-tolerant process.  Things are done in parallel paths to mobilize quickly.  The risk in this approach obviously is that at some point in the testing they might find a problem, and will have wasted effort in manufacturing.  The EUA allows the FDA to use this development process in special circumstances...which I think is a different thing than 'forcing' the FDA to do something.  

Not only that, it isn't often to have something so prevalent in the population that you can figure out if it works or not at this speed. Also, there were a lot of people around the world willing to volunteer for the trials. Those two things combined with governments basically writing blank checks certainly speeds things up. 

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, jaws said:

Not only that, it isn't often to have something so prevalent in the population that you can figure out if it works or not at this speed. Also, there were a lot of people around the world willing to volunteer for the trials. Those two things combined with governments basically writing blank checks certainly speeds things up. 

The unlimited funding of the government was the biggest reason the vaccines made it through development so quickly. Usually, when drug companies are using their own capital, they have to take their time through the various stages of approval because they are trying to fund multiple drugs and their capital is limited. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The unlimited funding of the government was the biggest reason the vaccines made it through development so quickly. Usually, when drug companies are using their own capital, they have to take their time through the various stages of approval because they are trying to fund multiple drugs and their capital is limited. 

Ok, yes, all these things worked together to get it developed and released.  None of that made it any less safe than other vaccines.  

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok, yes, all these things worked together to get it developed and released.  None of that made it any less safe than other vaccines.  

I never said anything about the effectiveness/safeness of the COVID vaccines. Over Christmas, I was telling my in-laws that I have never been more confident in a vaccine than the COVID vaccines. I was going to get it as soon as I could, and I did.