Covid-19 Vaccinations.

Just now, DevoHusker said:

I get that. But I know a large cross section of folks, from all socioeconomic levels, due to my and my wife's careers, and I guarantee the vaccination rate around here is a lot higher than 43%.

Anecdotal I know.

That's fantastic to hear. I'm sort of an "ends justify the means" kind of guy, so whatever we've got to do to get people to get vaccinated (free beer, tuition, strippers, candy gram), I'm in. 

• Oh Yeah! 3

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

That's fantastic to hear. I'm sort of an "ends justify the means" kind of guy, so whatever we've got to do to get people to get vaccinated (free beer, tuition, strippers, candy gram), I'm in. 

I agree.  Whatever incentive people need to have to get vaccinated, just give it to them.  Unfortunately, a lot of people need to have more of an incentive of "well, it will do a better job of keeping me healthy, and it's good for the general society, including my friends and extended family". 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

How about, "Get vaccinated or the baseball team you are on will be required to forfeit any games they have to cancel because they don't have enough players because someone chose not to get vaccinated... and the other team will be allowed to count it as a win."

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
42 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I didn't know you are a toddler. 

I only act like one on Twitter

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

How about, "Get vaccinated or the baseball team you are on will be required to forfeit any games they have to cancel because they don't have enough players because someone chose not to get vaccinated... and the other team will be allowed to count it as a win."

Don't get me started....

5 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I get that. But I know a large cross section of folks, from all socioeconomic levels, due to my and my wife's careers, and I guarantee the vaccination rate around here is a lot higher than 43%.

It probably feels that way since you probably unconsciously associate with similar socioeconomic and educational levels, which if you are vaccinated, likely means the people you associate with are as well.

The groups of people who laugh at people for getting vaccinated are probably baffled to hear the overall level of vaccination is so high and can't find too many people dumb enough to get it.

Looking around Nebraska the rates seem to be in the neighborhood:

52% of 16+ which would be about 40% of all residents for the state.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/ece0db09da4d4ca68252c3967aa1e9dd

40.7% of all residents in Douglas County.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/1205c60366ba43719a59225ec62e31b5/page/page_20/

57.6% of 16+ which would be about 44% of all residents for the Lancaster County.

https://lincolnne.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/79eb4e7acdce4c9aa368c39604abe0cd

• Thanks 1

Question for those of you that may be more well versed in all of this. When looking at the two different types of vaccine available. mRNA vs Adenovirus would it be safe to suggest that the J&J adenovirus vaccine would be classified as a more traditional vaccine? In that it uses a nonharmful virus to get the spike protein to your immune system instead of instructing your body to create the spike protein? Would that be an accurate way to describe the difference?

Got my 2nd dose of Moderna 4 days ago (Monday). Arm was fairly sore on Tuesday but I didn't get the fatigue I felt for 2 days after the first dose. Neither vaccination shot was anywhere in the ballpark of what I felt having had Covid for all of March and half of April.  I'm guessing having the actual virus significantly reduced my reaction to the shots.

I'd get booster shots twice per year (or more) if it means avoiding that sh#tty plague again.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Got my 2nd dose of Moderna 4 days ago (Monday). Arm was fairly sore on Tuesday but I didn't get the fatigue I felt for 2 days after the first dose. Neither vaccination shot was anywhere in the ballpark of what I felt having had Covid for all of March and half of April.  I'm guessing having the actual virus significantly reduced my reaction to the shots.

I'd get booster shots twice per year (or more) if it means avoiding that sh#tty plague again.

I get really annoyed when I see social media messages of “I had Covid, it wasn’t that bad”. I want to punch those people in the face. I luckily haven’t had it, but I know a few people who had it, and got really sick from it. That’s why I tried to stay as safe as possible the past year, and got the vaccine as quickly as I could. Hope your doing better, JJ. 

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get really annoyed when I see social media messages of “I had Covid, it wasn’t that bad”. I want to punch those people in the face. I luckily haven’t had it, but I know a few people who had it, and got really sick from it. That’s why I tried to stay as safe as possible the past year, and got the vaccine as quickly as I could. Hope your doing better, JJ. 

I think I’m finally fully recovered. It was hard to tell because the improvement came so slowly that it kind of felt like I was just getting used to feeling like sh#t.

People’s symptoms and reactions are so wildly varied it’s crazy. But yeah I want to punch the people who downplay it just because they were one of the lucky ones. I just feel fortunate I didn’t experience the lung/breathing problems that so many did.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I think I’m finally fully recovered. It was hard to tell because the improvement came so slowly that it kind of felt like I was just getting used to feeling like sh#t.

People’s symptoms and reactions are so wildly varied it’s crazy. But yeah I want to punch the people who downplay it just because they were one of the lucky ones. I just feel fortunate I didn’t experience the lung/breathing problems that so many did.

Glad to hear you've recovered. We had it run through our house around Thanksgiving. My wife was sick for a day, she and my 5 yr old son lost their smell and taste, and she has yet to get it back all the way. Certain things still smell/taste weird to her. My son seems to have gotten his back, or he's too innocent to know any better. Myself, and my two older daughters never felt anything, and our infant daughter seemed fine throughout it all.

I plan to get vaccinated closer to late Fall, when work slows down a bit.

• Plus1 1